India announces Shashi Tharoor's nomination for top UN post

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
mehulkamdar

India announces Shashi Tharoor's nomination for top UN post

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:37 am

India has announced Shashi Tharoor's nimination for the post of UN Secretary General. This is a sad day for gun owners worldwide and it would be even sadder for the duration of his term if he wins. The NRA (of the USA that is) has to pressure the US government to prevent his getting this position. :x

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:44 am

Any particular reason, Mehul?
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:45 am

Vikram,

Tharoor is the brain behind the UN's Anti Gun Initiative - they believe that no one living in a UN member country has the right to own guns. The man along with the Sri Lankan Jayanta DHanapala has organised a conference to call for a worldwide ban on gun ownership on July 4th because it is the US Independence Day.

With a corrupt crook like Kofi Annan due to be consigned to the dustbin of history very shortly, it is to be hoped that his cohort gets the boot likewise.

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:25 pm

Amen!

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

more on the nutjob

Post by axp817 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:01 am

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:59 pm

"in straw polls still trails South Korea?s nominee, foreign minister Ban Ki Moon"

There is hope yet.

Take care,
SUkhpreet

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:53 pm

Some where I read he is being supported by laxmi Mittal no clue how it would enhance Satish's chances. In my opinion he has a very remote chance, US and western allies will never support an UN insider for this job, they are looking for some one from outside.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:05 am

Navdeep,

I talked to one of the sons of a huge steel company in India, don;t want to mention names, and his response to theTharoor nomination was simple - Khuda meherban to gadha pehelwan. I have no idea where Mittal comes in on this statement but I do think that Tharoor, whith his backers from the godman Puttaparthi Sai Baba to Mittal is still going to find it difficult to get this post.

Mehul

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:46 am

I don't know what Tharoor's win will mean to gun laws in India, but I don't think it will change much in the US. or will it? The NRA or the US govt. (pro-gun politicians at least) don't seem to care much for the UN.

The Democrats coming into power in 2008, could mean trouble for gun owners, though.

Wasn't it Bill Clinton who introduced the 10 year assault weapons ban in 1994 (which wasn't reinstated (if thats the right word) by Bush in 2004)?

If a looney Democrat was still around, and had put the ban in for 10 more years, I wouldn't have had the AR that I have.

Some commie states (MA, CA, NJ, etc.) still have a lot of assault weapon restrictions.

And, I forgot to mention that I got a new Rock River Arms AR-15.

My friend had bought it a few weeks ago, and I convinced him to sell it to me (since he already has another AR).

It is a tactical carbine, with a rail attachment for aimpoints and such, a collapsible butt stock, and no carry handle.

Got 10 extra 30 round mags. too., for when the zombies attack. hehe.

Pics to follow.

-N

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:57 am

Mehul

Thats a good one..but world is devoid of strong leaders, to quote ?leaders with Vision and Power?.except for Red Panda. The new UN leader's tenure is going to be a tough one and hopefully they can find the right fit. . On a side note, I share my office commute with UN Staffers and always hear them complain about low moral within this secretariat and concerned that its role in world affairs has been severely marginalized.

Rgds
navdeep

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:41 am

Say what,gents! Screw Sasi Tharoor.He is not going to win it.

Three cheers to our soldiers in the thick of the action.

Indian soldiers of the United Nations Force In Lebanon (UNIFIL) stand at an observation post along the Lebanese-Israeli border across from the northern Israel town of Manara. Indian Army's 4th Sikh battalion has become yet another Indian contingent to win 'Unit Citation' award for its efforts in peacekeeping operations in war-torn southern Lebanon. Posted in the most turbulent eastern portion of southern Lebanon, which witnessed heavy fighting between Israeli forces and Hezbollah militia, the battalion was awarded the citation by force Commander French Major- General Alain Pellegrini for their "stupendous performance".
http://outlookindia.com/photoessays.asp ... ode=weekin

And, did you see the caption on the post?Image

Best-

Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:25 pm

Vikram wrote:And, did you see the caption on the post?Image

Best-

Vikram
Vikram

There was another article where it was written that Indian Soldiers mentioning 4 Sikh could teach both sides a lesson or two in assault. BTW 4 Sikh is one of the most decorated units, they have venerable battle honor of http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORC ... garhi.html

Saragarhi is the incredible story of 21 men of the 36th Sikh Regiment (currently the 4th Sikh Regiment) who gave up their lives in devotion to their duty. In keeping with the tradition of the Indian Army, they fought to the death rather than surrender. The Battle at Saragarhi is one of eight stories of collective bravery published by UNESCO"

regards
Navdeep