Mumbai under attack

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:07 am

hamiclar01";p="60507 wrote: http://www.openspace.org.in/node/808

apologies if this has been covered before. but i saw the blog and found it interesting
.. Nice write up... And thats why I had stated earlier, that since this involved the 5 star hotels, there was due action from the government and a different coverage from Media...
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

For Advertising mail webmaster
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Mumbai under attack

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:30 am

hamiclar01";p="60507 wrote:http://www.openspace.org.in/node/808

apologies if this has been covered before. but i saw the blog and found it interesting
Interesting read.

The point about the Taj Ground Plan was eating my head the whole time as well.

At the risk of sounding like a ranting arm chair general, I should think they wouldn't have needed the Ground plan in this instance at all... since they've already been there before... NSG in Taj

...that is unless of course they've also been afflicted by our establishments' "never learn" disease.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:31 am

hamiclar01";p="60507 wrote:http://www.openspace.org.in/node/808

Thanks for the link. That is an excellent write covering numerous aspects of the incident and it really hits home. Wish more people could read it.
Regards,
Yaj.
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:53 am

[quote="CannonFodder";p="60506"]
amk";p="60467 wrote:Hi everyone, I'm back... ..."Would I freeze when its time to act quickly?" ...
[/quote]

.. Well, even if I or someone else would.. how many times would it happen... The first time when some hooligans pass my car and make fun of my family, I would keep quiet. The next time, when I see burglars in my neighbor's house, I may still keep silent, but the first has sparked off.. And the consecutive times would eventually bring out the Clint in me... Its like getting to lose virginity.. but thats how every change seeps in...

Please note, that I am not in anyway 'hoping' for more disasters to happen, but when we start to be ready to face it, we may not face it all out the first time, to which I agree... but I feel a majority of us would eventually 'let it out'...
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Fulcrum
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Fulcrum » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:44 am

This has already become an RKBA conversation. My two paise worth: IMHO, in a way this is a philosophical (and hypothetical) discussion, isn't it? If there were a gun, if there were a person with the nerve and courage etc.
  1. If an individual (or some) had a weapon(s), would he /she use it?
  2. Would the knowledge that people might be carrying weapons, deter the bad guys or would that make them more violent?
  3. If weapons were used by civilians, would that deter the bad guys (on the scene of the action) or would it ensure that more people got killed? Of
  4. Of course, the civilian would have a hand gun, and not an assault rifle on him / her, right? Will there be immediate vengeance?
  5. Would the individuals with weapons have the nerve to use their weapons and how effective will they be?
  6. Also, how appropriate is it to try be a hero on that spot?
I doubt if we would ever have very concrete answers to these, unless we were faced with the situation (which one of us has)...

Though I pose these questions, I am a self confessed RKBA supporter and here have been occasions when I have felt insecure without a gun, especially in a country like ours where I can't expect the law to really come to my aid. But, I also do believe that a gun should be taken out only to kill - one bullet, one body - no posing, no bragging. Does everyone have that sense of responsibility instilled inside there heads? Sports is a different thing, of course.

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:13 pm

I have just one thing to say:

I hope I'm never EVER put in the situation where the question of using a firearm pops up.

AMK
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
--------------------------------------

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:16 pm

Fulcrum, no it is not a hypothetical & philosophical question. This contention is based on empirical evidence presented through independent research, if you had read the contents of the study I'd posted earlier on this thread you would understand the issue a lot better. Am reposting it - this time as an attachment, do take the time to read what it has to say.

It will answer all of your points... and then some!

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:19 pm

amk";p="60537 wrote: I have just one thing to say:

I hope I'm never EVER put in the situation where the question of using a firearm pops up.

AMK
No one does buddy, but these things still happen! Odds are, the vast majority of us never will have to be in a situation like this... but it pays to be prepared!

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Fulcrum
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Fulcrum » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:27 pm

not contesting the study at all Abhijeet. However, you will notice, that there is a difference in the circumstances.
1)This study was published in 1996, the word was a somewhat less dangerous place at that time. No 9/11 had happened either. We Indians, of course, have been enjoying terrorism (of different shapes, forms and flavour) for a while. 2)We are talking about terrorists here, who are somewhat different from your usual criminal, gang members, psychopaths, schizoprenic folk, school shooting folk, etc.
...and hence my submission earlier. and again, as I mention earlier, RKBA will help...whether it will help in outright large scale terrorism, one doesn't know (or so I perceive).

paragvns
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by paragvns » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:13 pm

An armed society is a polite society. — Robert A. Heinlein

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:14 am

Fulcrum";p="60540 wrote: not contesting the study at all Abhijeet. However, you will notice, that there is a difference in the circumstances.
1)This study was published in 1996, the word was a somewhat less dangerous place at that time. No 9/11 had happened either. We Indians, of course, have been enjoying terrorism (of different shapes, forms and flavour) for a while. 2)We are talking about terrorists here, who are somewhat different from your usual criminal, gang members, psychopaths, schizoprenic folk, school shooting folk, etc.
...and hence my submission earlier. and again, as I mention earlier, RKBA will help...whether it will help in outright large scale terrorism, one doesn't know (or so I perceive).
1) 1996 or 2008, unarmed people were killed en masse, I doubt if the dates would matter to the victims! From this comment I can only surmise that you have not bothered to read the report in toto.

2) Different, in motives yes but not in the end result. You may want to read up a bit on how the Israelis have armed their civilians to counter just such attacks from terrorists, and very successfully I may add! If Google is a challenge, do let me know and I'll post some relevant links here...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:42 am

here's some more:

the anatomy of the terrorist
http://www.hindu.com/2008/12/02/stories ... 961000.htm

and a re iteration of the simple fact that the bbc and other western channels is sX£t scared of calling a spade a spade
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122816892289570229.html
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:48 pm

This from today's Times of India (Mumbai Edition) - http://tinyurl.com/5capro

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:01 pm

Awesome! Wonder how I missed it in the paper. It should give the much required limelight to the RKBA agenda. Well done Abhijeet!

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:42 pm

Finally someone woke them up!!!

Lets hope it gets people to think straight

Cheers
Siddharth