Guns for Texas school's teachers

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Teachers in one part of the US state of Texas are to be allowed to carry concealed firearms when the new school term opens this month.

The school superintendent in Harrold district said the move was intended to protect staff and pupils should there be any gun attacks on its sole campus.

Teachers would have to undertake crisis management training first, the superintendent, David Thweatt, said.

In recent years the US has seen a number of fatal school shootings.

Trustees had approved the policy and parents had not objected, Mr Thweatt said.

"When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started," he wrote on the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's web site.

Mr Thweatt said he believed the school's proximity to a large, busy motorway could make it a target.

"If something were to happen here, I'd much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them," Mr Thweatt said.

Texas outlaws the presence of firearms at schools unless individual institutions allow them.

Link >>>

This is so thought provoking.

best,

RP.

Link >>>
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

For Advertising mail webmaster
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:31 pm

Seems like a common sense idea for a change.

However... should it become necessary to use force in this context, I see lawsuits in the making.

What about a stiuation where a neglegent discharge occurs?

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Guns for School Teachers ????????

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:04 pm

It would be exponentially less traumatic than having another Columbine or Vermont style massacre, I prefer to think of the benefits of gun ownership instead of fearing what sort of mistakes may happen in the future.

People seem to have no problem with police carrying weapons, and yet most officers are only required to have finished high school. I do not see an issue with teachers who are required to have much more education, and have to continue to take classes as a part of maintaining a certificate, of maintaining a higher standard than what is required by law enforcement.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:58 pm

Very nicely put Mark.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:31 pm

Mark";p="50242 wrote: It would be exponentially less traumatic than having another Columbine or Vermont style massacre, I prefer to think of the benefits of gun ownership instead of fearing what sort of mistakes may happen in the future.

People seem to have no problem with police carrying weapons, and yet most officers are only required to have finished high school. I do not see an issue with teachers who are required to have much more education, and have to continue to take classes as a part of maintaining a certificate, of maintaining a higher standard than what is required by law enforcement.
Spot on!
Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:06 pm

MoA";p="50234 wrote:Seems like a common sense idea for a change.

However... should it become necessary to use force in this context, I see lawsuits in the making.

What about a stiuation where a neglegent discharge occurs?
Accidentdal discharges and other accidents can be reduced or avoided altogether with proper training.
Cheers
Mandeep

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:33 pm

Accident anticipation is part of the game .. and Life. If we all feared this, there should have not been any cars on the road :)
However, if we do look at a realistic figure of probability versus possibility, the percentage of 'accidental discharges (a.d)' within any fraternity (say the Police force) is a very small figure when up against the number of arms possessed - A very low Probability to consider...
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------