Madhya Pradesh to expedite Arms Licenses for Women

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Madhya Pradesh to expedite Arms Licenses for Women

Post by mundaire » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:53 pm

This is good news indeed - that the government of a major Indian state is recognising the urgent need to arm our women towards curbing crime! The article itself has a negative slant, reflecting the lopsided view of the author. :roll: It is not a "shot in the dark" as the author would have us believe, but a "shot in the arm" for women's safety in the state of Madhya Pradesh. Hopefully other states will follow suit soon :) (y)

https://www.telegraphindia.com/opinion/ ... ark-194708
Shot in the dark
Dec 20, 2017 00:00 IST

Concern for the safety of women is always desirable, but shooting from the hip is not. And yet, that is exactly what the government of Madhya Pradesh seems to have done. In a rather ill-considered move, the state women and child welfare minister, Archana Chitnis, has sent a proposal to the state home ministry to speed up the granting of gun licences to women, including survivors of rape, when they apply for it. On the face of it, this might not seem like such a bad idea; Indian women face sexual violence every day, and many find it difficult to get justice or security even now. Now, with a firearm at their disposal, survivors might be able to defend themselves against further harassment or attacks. That is indeed the logic employed by Ms Chitnis, who said that having a gun will give rape survivors a sense of confidence.

But is that really the aim of the Bharatiya Janata Party-led government in the state? Given that the assembly elections are slated to be held next year, the dispensation has been doing everything in its power to build a voter base out of the state's women while also trying to hide its miserable failure to ensure their safety. Earlier this year, at a mass wedding, the state's rural development minister, Gopal Bhargava, gifted wooden bats to about 700 new brides to use in self-defence if their husbands turned violent under the influence of alcohol. This, along with the move to expedite the granting of gun licences to women, is no more than an attempt to camouflage the emptiness of the government's rhetoric about women's security. Owning a licensed firearm in Madhya Pradesh is a matter of great pride; by making it easier to acquire one, the government is only perpetuating the toxic idea of violence being an effective way to combat crimes. Ms Chitnis's proposal also ignores practical concerns; for example, granting a rape survivor the right to carry a gun also opens up the possibility of the men in her family taking it away from her and using it themselves. Further gun violence is the last thing that is required in Madhya Pradesh, where law and order is already in a shambles. Instead of educating men about the total unacceptability of gender-based violence, the government is arming women with guns. By doing so, it is merely telling them that they are responsible for their own security, when it is actually the State's job to keep them safe.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Madhya Pradesh to expedite Arms Licenses for Women

Post by Hammerhead » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:23 pm

May God, this article must not have written by a women also. Please please.

If a women is allowed to defend herself and as she has all the rights to do so.... What the FUKK is your problem ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Master
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Master » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:04 am

Most of these 'journalists' belonging to Telegraph, BBC, NY times are known for their ideologies. They will oppose gun rights for citizens, but their hearts bleed out for the human rights of naxalites and terrorists.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:14 pm

mundaire wrote:
the government is arming women with guns. By doing so, it is merely telling them that they are responsible for their own security, when it is actually the State's job to keep them safe.
This is grossly ignorant and misleading view of the author. Self defense means you are yourself responsible for your own defense and security. Also the State has no duty to protect you, that is why if you are victim of crime, you or your dependents cannot file criminal case against the police officials or the State for failing to protect you. It is because they have no duty to protect you, hence no dereliction of duty and thus no criminal liability. But many people like this author are ignorant and start giving baseless sermons.

Moreover this move seems to be just an eyewash. How many women will be able to pay for the grossly overpriced guns(due to unlawful and unconstitutional firearms import ban) in the Indian market? How many will be able to pay the inflated license fees?

Recently the U.S.A. has taken the Indian government to international court of World Trade Organization for violating WTO agreement and giving unfair advantage to local solar manufacturing companies. Similarly the gun lobby in USA and other countries need to press their governments to take the Indian government to WTO court for giving unfair advantage to the Indian Ordnance Factories by banning private import of personal firearms by it's citizens. As a result of ban, the Indian Ordnance Factories are selling grossly overpriced junk.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

indiaone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by indiaone » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:40 pm

This is a very positive deveopment.I am sure the Government will not be guided by such right ups by journalists while arriving at a decision. It is the duty of the State to protect its citizens. In is a know fact that police cannot be present at all spots where crime may take place. So arming the citizen will be a very positive step.Let us hope other States also initiate similar steps.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:28 pm

indiaone wrote:It is the duty of the State to protect its citizens.
Doesn't the Indian State(police etc.) protects the law(the public at large) under public duty doctrine and not individuals? Under public duty doctrine, the police exists to patrol the streets and to apprehend criminals after the crime is committed and do not exist to protect individuals. Is that why the Indian police is not criminally liable of neglecting duty of protecting individuals?

The Indian Constitution and the American Constitution is based on British Common Law. The American Supreme Court has repeatedly emphasized in a number of judgments that Police have no duty to protect individuals. Just search the internet for "US Supreme Court no duty to protect individuals". I would be happy to read any Indian High Court or Supreme Court judgment that in effect says failure to protect a citizen or person will result in criminal negligence and criminal liability on part of Police or State.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

indiaone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by indiaone » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:42 pm

Perhaps yoy are right, I have not given any thought to this finer point of law.Shall try to find out rulings on the same and if found shall revert. Meanwhile, I am sure the move by the M P Minister to expedite arms license to women< you will agree i certainly a correct move in the right direction.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:53 am

indiaone wrote:Meanwhile, I am sure the move by the M P Minister to expedite arms license to women< you will agree i certainly a correct move in the right direction.
Well on the surface it appears a move in right direction but a lot more needs to be done. How long will the bureaucrats remember these directions and how much they are going to obey? How many women will be able to purchase the overpriced guns which can be purchased at fraction of the cost in international market? In U.S.A. a pistol can get home delivered for around $300 and here similar masterpieces of variable quality by IOF are priced above $1000. You may read another post here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25056&p=252952#p252910