• Advertisement
Kiehberg.in -  Outdoor gear and sports equipment

Anti Gun Campaign in India.

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
panzernain
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Anti Gun Campaign in India.

Postby panzernain » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:15 am

Woke up to read today's newspaper. (October 3rd,17).
The front page report of a gun violence incident in the US(Las vegas) is supplemented with a statistical graph highlighting the number of licenced weapons in India. It does not show the number of offences committed with unlicensed weapons, let alone their total number (approx.) in each state. The focus is on connecting the licenced weapons with crime in India. What is the motive behind such front page articles if not as an attempt to take away the RKBA of the citizen? Who is funding such regular efforts in the media? This is a part of a systematic campaign against lawful gun ownership. We at IFG should do something about it!! I request all the ifg members to discuss this issue at urgent basis.
P. S. The image of the article has been attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.



For Advertising mail webmaster
User avatar
mundaire
Posts: 4959
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: New Delhi, India
Contact:

Re: Anti Gun Campaign in India.

Postby mundaire » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:59 pm

The total number of gun owners in India seems to be actually on the decline. No surprises there as the government policies over the decades have been working overtime towards this goal (of disarming law abiding citizens).

IIRC when I got my first arms license circa 1992, the total number of arms licensees in Delhi was approx 54,000 - 55,000. From the above graphic it seems to have declined to less than 39,000, even though the population of Delhi has more than doubled in the same period! From 9.42 million as on 1 st March, 1991 to 18.98 million in 2012 (the closest figures I could find for this time period).

BTW yesterday's Economic times carried similar data, guessing they are simply regurgitating data provided to them by the Ministry of Home Affairs. See
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 910164.cms

Of India's 33.69 lakh gun licences, 12.77 lakh in UP: MHA
PTI|
Updated: Oct 02, 2017, 01.32 PM IST

NEW DELHI: Uttar Pradesh tops the list of states with active gun licences with a whooping 12.77 lakh people authorised to carry weapons, followed by militancy-hit Jammu and Kashmir where 3.69 lakh people possess arms licences.

According to the statistics released by the home ministry, the country has a total of 33,69,444 active gun licences as on December 31, 2016.

The highest number of gun licences were given in Uttar Pradesh where 12,77,914 people are authorised to carry weapons, most of which were taken in the name of personal security. As per the 2011 census, the population of Uttar Pradesh is 19,98,12,341.

Jammu and Kashmir, hit by three decades of militancy, has 3,69,191 licenced gun holders, including those of prohibited bore and non-prohibited bore arms. The total population of the state as per 2011 census is 1,25,41,302, the ministry said.
Punjab, which witnessed terrorism in 1980s and 1990s, has 3,59,349 active gun licences, most of which were issued during the two decades wherein militancy had engulfed the state.

Punjab has a population of 2,77,43,338 as per the 2011 census.

There are 2,47,130 active gun licences in Madhya Pradesh, followed by Haryana where 1,41,926 people are authorised to carry licenced weapons, it said.

The other states with large number of licenced gun holders include Rajasthan (1,33,968 licences), Karnataka (1,13,631), Maharashtra (84,050), Bihar (82,585), Himachal Pradesh (77,069), Uttarakhand (64,770), Gujarat (60,784) and West Bengal (60,525).

Delhi has 38,754 licenced gun holders, Nagaland 36,606, Arunachal Pradesh 34,394, Manipur 26,836, Tamil Nadu 22,532 and Odisha issued 20,588 licences, the statistics said.

Assam has 19,283 active gun licence holders, Meghalaya 18,688, Jharkhand 17,654, Mizoram 15,895 and Kerala 9,459, they said.

The lowest number of gun licences were issued in small Union territories like Daman and Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli, where 125 gun licences each were issued, the ministry added.


Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

panzernain
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: Anti Gun Campaign in India.

Postby panzernain » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:16 pm

You are right. This trend is a matter of concern. If at least the real picture could be published. Press and Media should not be blamed because they will publish only what they will get. We need the pro gun and pragmatic side to push and actively provide the right data for the media(print & electronic). Anyone with friends and contacts in print/electronic media are welcome to provide suggestions. Right now it's only the anti gun camp floating this nonsense every day. Somehow we as a group are failing (pro gun rights+gun owners).

Added in 3 minutes 32 seconds:
mundaire wrote:The total number of gun owners in India seems to be actually on the decline. No surprises there as the government policies over the decades have been working overtime towards this goal (of disarming law abiding citizens).

IIRC when I got my first arms license circa 1992, the total number of arms licensees in Delhi was approx 54,000 - 55,000. From the above graphic it seems to have declined to less than 39,000, even though the population of Delhi has more than doubled in the same period! From 9.42 million as on 1 st March, 1991 to 18.98 million in 2012 (the closest figures I could find for this time period).

BTW yesterday's Economic times carried similar data, guessing they are simply regurgitating data provided to them by the Ministry of Home Affairs. See
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 910164.cms

Of India's 33.69 lakh gun licences, 12.77 lakh in UP: MHA
PTI|
Updated: Oct 02, 2017, 01.32 PM IST

NEW DELHI: Uttar Pradesh tops the list of states with active gun licences with a whooping 12.77 lakh people authorised to carry weapons, followed by militancy-hit Jammu and Kashmir where 3.69 lakh people possess arms licences.

According to the statistics released by the home ministry, the country has a total of 33,69,444 active gun licences as on December 31, 2016.

The highest number of gun licences were given in Uttar Pradesh where 12,77,914 people are authorised to carry weapons, most of which were taken in the name of personal security. As per the 2011 census, the population of Uttar Pradesh is 19,98,12,341.

Jammu and Kashmir, hit by three decades of militancy, has 3,69,191 licenced gun holders, including those of prohibited bore and non-prohibited bore arms. The total population of the state as per 2011 census is 1,25,41,302, the ministry said.
Punjab, which witnessed terrorism in 1980s and 1990s, has 3,59,349 active gun licences, most of which were issued during the two decades wherein militancy had engulfed the state.

Punjab has a population of 2,77,43,338 as per the 2011 census.

There are 2,47,130 active gun licences in Madhya Pradesh, followed by Haryana where 1,41,926 people are authorised to carry licenced weapons, it said.

The other states with large number of licenced gun holders include Rajasthan (1,33,968 licences), Karnataka (1,13,631), Maharashtra (84,050), Bihar (82,585), Himachal Pradesh (77,069), Uttarakhand (64,770), Gujarat (60,784) and West Bengal (60,525).

Delhi has 38,754 licenced gun holders, Nagaland 36,606, Arunachal Pradesh 34,394, Manipur 26,836, Tamil Nadu 22,532 and Odisha issued 20,588 licences, the statistics said.

Assam has 19,283 active gun licence holders, Meghalaya 18,688, Jharkhand 17,654, Mizoram 15,895 and Kerala 9,459, they said.

The lowest number of gun licences were issued in small Union territories like Daman and Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli, where 125 gun licences each were issued, the ministry added.


The worst thing is that the legislation feeds on public opinion. How long before they draft a new statute that completely put a stay /ban on any new applications in India? Just a matter of time.



3:10
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Anti Gun Campaign in India.

Postby 3:10 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:28 pm

I always feel that a person going through the trouble to have a traceable weapon is much more safer and responsible than an unlicensed user... The aim should be education and not eradication..and a fight if any should be against unlicensed weapons ...



panzernain
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: Anti Gun Campaign in India.

Postby panzernain » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:06 am

3:10 wrote:I always feel that a person going through the trouble to have a traceable weapon is much more safer and responsible than an unlicensed user... The aim should be education and not eradication..and a fight if any should be against unlicensed weapons ...

I absolutely agree..



pkaran
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:55 pm

Re: Anti Gun Campaign in India

Postby pkaran » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:21 am

Whether there is a “Grave and Imminent Threat” to Life(Special Circumstances)

The folly is unfolded!

For the authorities to issue Arms License to an individual, it is mandatory for the applicant to establish whether there is a “Grave and Imminent Threat to his Life” without which there is every chance of his application getting rejected.

Criminals, drunkards and drug addicts are omnipresent. They barge into homes, loot the inmates at knife-point, rape the old and infants alike and waylay the defenseless while every mechanism that is tasked with protecting the life and property of people turns out to be a colossal failure. It is high time India revamped and modernized its forces. Those elders that live alone are prime targets. Others are no less vulnerable. The statistics of crime published by the Bureau of Crime Statistics for 2015 must send shivers down every righteous citizen’s spine! I have attached a copy of the data.

According to these statistics, there were 257,074 cases registered in Kerala in just one year (2015) alone. Let us assume that between 35-40% of these crimes (or approx 100,000 cases) may constitute to crimes under the category of Break-in/Burglary, Rape, Kidnap, Arson causing Damage to Property etc.

Is it not common-sense that not even in a single case, the criminals, who perpetrated these heinous crimes, would have forewarned the victims? They strike when you expect the least. At odd times. When the victim is the most vulnerable. [b]So, my question is, Sir, how is it possible to foresee the so-called “Inherent Grave and Imminent Threat to Life”, which has been established to be a prerequisite for granting a gun license?

Regards/Karan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pkaran on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.



pkaran
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:55 pm

Re: Anti Gun Campaign in India.

Postby pkaran » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi Panzernain,

This refers to your article under the caption, Anti Gun Campaign in India:

When a person speaks about crime in a society, it is a general tendency to raise his eye-brows and point his accusing fingers to guns. People generally see guns as weapons of destruction while millions of guns are deployed for their own protection!

Figures speak volumes. Presented below are charts showing:

1. The trend of crimes under the Arms Act, and
2. Crimes involving Firearms

You will notice that the cases involving Arms Act for the period 2005-2015 have actually taken a deep decline!
You will also notice that, during the past 5 years from 2011 to 2015, crimes involving licensed Fire Arms are negligible with just 356 cases against the overall crime rate of 7,326,099 cases reported across India during the same period.

The data presented above cannot be disputed as they were published by the Bureau of Crime Statistics, Delhi. Interestingly, this scenario presents itself with authentic statistics that it speaks so strongly in favor of RKBS!

Regards/Karan/[email protected]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.



panzernain
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: Anti Gun Campaign in India.

Postby panzernain » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:21 pm

pkaran wrote:Hi Panzernain,

This refers to your article under the caption, Anti Gun Campaign in India:

When a person speaks about crime in a society, it is a general tendency to raise his eye-brows and point his accusing fingers to guns. People generally see guns as weapons of destruction while millions of guns are deployed for their own protection!

Figures speak volumes. Presented below are charts showing:

1. The trend of crimes under the Arms Act, and
2. Crimes involving Firearms

You will notice that the cases involving Arms Act for the period 2005-2015 have actually taken a deep decline!
You will also notice that, during the past 5 years from 2011 to 2015, crimes involving licensed Fire Arms are negligible with just 356 cases against the overall crime rate of 7,326,099 cases reported across India during the same period.

The data presented above cannot be disputed as they were published by the Bureau of Crime Statistics, Delhi. Interestingly, this scenario presents itself with authentic statistics that it speaks so strongly in favor of RKBS!

Regards/Karan/[email protected]


This is substantial data. But the whole problem is created when such important data is not floated in the media. It never reaches general public. What reaches is incomplete information and half truth. My question is how to feed this data to the people of India??




Return to “RKBA”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests