French Gun Control and Charlie Hebdo Shootings

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
ankur_ank007

French Gun Control and Charlie Hebdo Shootings

Post by ankur_ank007 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:50 am

After Paris Attacks today, I was reading about Charlie Hebdo Shootings in Jan. 2015 and Gun Laws in France. I came to know that France has one of the most strict gun laws in Europe.
Stephane Charbonnier, the editor in chief of the magazine had applied for a handgun permit for self defence but was denied and point to be noted is he was a sports shooter too.
The magazine may have hurt religious sentiments of a few people. The attacks may be a condemnable act. However, these things are something different..... I am just trying to look into the RKBA aspect of the case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: French Gun Control and Charlie Hebdo Shootings

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:55 pm

RKBA can certainly help people defend against sudden attacks regardless of the politics going on. But making needless interference or utterances that hurt the emotions, sensibilities or sentiments of some cultures or faiths is an invitation to easily avoidable problems. Another is following ill advised foreign policies of overt or covert interference. All these have no connection with RKBA or no RKBA.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

ankur_ank007

Post by ankur_ank007 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:47 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:RKBA can certainly help people defend against sudden attacks regardless of the politics going on. But making needless interference or utterances that hurt the emotions, sensibilities or sentiments of some cultures or faiths is an invitation to easily avoidable problems. Another is following ill advised foreign policies of overt or covert interference. All these have no connection with RKBA or no RKBA.

Indeed... I agree, hurting someone's religious sentiments and faith is absolutely a bad thing which must not be done.

I was just astonished on the fact that after such threats from terrorist organizations and radical organizations across the globe and even after being a sports shooter that person was denied a weapon license.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:41 pm

ankur_ank007 wrote:I was just astonished on the fact that after such threats from terrorist organizations and radical organizations across the globe and even after being a sports shooter that person was denied a weapon license.
Morality not backed by force(force includes RKBA) will be ignored by the power hungry and ruthless.

Morality backed by force is an oppression to liberty of human mind and body.

Above contradictions quite explicitly define the contradictions between the liberties and regulations. The morality seeks liberty, the power hungry seek power through regulations.

Was searching the internet to get answer to how this philosophical but practical question was tackled in Indian subcontinent. Perhaps it is explained philosophically by the Miri Piri or Sant Sipahi doctrine. Besides India, this concept though under different names or forms is present in Christian and Islamic worlds.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:06 pm

Goodboy,

The position is not as polemical as you have put it. Self-defence against violent attack involves the use of force but can hardly be termed oppression.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

jatindra Singh Deo
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jatindra Singh Deo » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:17 pm

Hope the french will have a relook at their misplaced sense of righteousness regarding RKBA and certain other things .After todays happenings ,may the souls rest in peace ,absolutely nothing justifies this senseless cowardly murder of innocents
Last edited by jatindra Singh Deo on Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:22 pm

miroflex wrote:Goodboy,

The position is not as polemical as you have put it. Self-defence against violent attack involves the use of force but can hardly be termed oppression.
Miroflex,

Probably you have not been able to understand my previous post. Please re read it, never said that self defense is oppression. For example "Morality backed by force" is something like "morality" that is forced by Arms Act 1959 is oppression.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:08 pm

Goodboy,

I am glad you have clarified your stand.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:00 am

Ankur.. unfortunately you know nothing about the gun laws in France, or the requirements for a concealed carry permit.

Please search for threads by me. I stopped posting around 2011.

jatindra Singh Deo
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jatindra Singh Deo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:50 am

Here are some details I could find !! http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... -gun-laws/

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk

ankur_ank007

Post by ankur_ank007 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:18 pm

MoA wrote:Ankur.. unfortunately you know nothing about the gun laws in France, or the requirements for a concealed carry permit.

Please search for threads by me. I stopped posting around 2011.
Hello MoA,

I am sorry if I was unable to put forward myself in a clearer way. My simple inference from the lines written in the posted screenshot is, a person like Charb who is facing severe threat to life from several terrorist organizations, who is a sports shooter, who follows law by applying for a weapon license to protect himself and is denied. He is ultimately killed.
I only wanted to express my views on this. I am sorry if I dont know about French Gun Laws, neither I am French nor I am a Jurist, however, I will surely enhance my knowledge by going through the link you posted.

Regards

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:20 am

Hi, I am not well versed with French gun laws either but here is Donald Trumps reaction to the Paris terror attacks. The headline says "Donald Trumps callous response" but I beg to differ.....
http://www.salon.com/2015/11/14/donald_ ... een_armed/

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:01 pm

Main question is defence of common people who have nothing to do with politics and state politics .In riots be it 1984 anti sikh riots or anti muslim riots of 2002 or anti hindu riots of kashmir or hyderabad or terorrist attackes of mumbai the common people are victims who have no say in state policy or acts of anyone.The common people must be prepared to defend.This policy was started after China invasion home guards and SSB was created who used to train the people in border areas but due to foolish policies of entral govt.irespective of any party the home guards have been converted into axulliary
police force SSB the finest department has been converted into un important para milatary force.To add woes to the common people arms acct has been made a mockery and arm licence holders r treated like criminals during elections and crisis like communal riots by foolish officials.We have no defence in case of another Mumbai type attack or any big riots this is the reality of India.We r mercy of anti social people if there r no riots or teror attacks as anti social elements has easy politician rapport as politician survives on anti social support .They do not need support of people like us so it is high time that we must get togeather and make pressure on goverment to make arms act people friendly.

Ruari
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Ruari » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:16 am

This may or may'nt be true but it is not being gleefully denounced in the English speaking media so the odds are that it is true.
There is no English translation available on Google but the auto translators give a comprehensible version.
http://resistancerepublicaine.eu/2015/1 ... ihadistes/
Self Defence is not only a right, it is an Obligation.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:47 am

Interesting article, Ruari.
How does the saying go?
"When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns".

It is also interesting to note that in many of the videos and photos of this incident, the French Police and parmilitary forces are carrying Ruger Mini-14's.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941