A Farewell To Arms!

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

A Farewell To Arms!

Post by miroflex » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:58 pm

A heartbreaking story of an old soldier and his beloved companion.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... n-enfield/

I was hesitant about posting this on Dussehra day when firearms and other weapons are worshipped along with pen and ink, books and agricultural implements, vehicles etc. But then my mood turned austere as I recalled that we in India are facing a similar situation. The day is not far when we may be forced to break up or sell our favourite arms and ammunition. I hope I don't have to face that day.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

For Advertising mail webmaster
Armed Defence
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: A Farewell To Arms!

Post by Armed Defence » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:09 pm

Shameful. Anti-gunners are trying to bring such laws in South Asia too

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:31 pm

A truly heart-rendering story!
I fervently hope that such a day doesn't dawn to force us to turn our 'Arms' in....
Briha

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:20 pm

It will be a complete "farewell to arms" very soon in South Asia unless RKBA is given some religious spin. Nothing works as good as religion in South Asia, our politicians know this very well.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Sobo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Sobo » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:00 am

The city dwelling yuppie will never understand why the countryman needs arms. A person who has never invested in anything other than frivolous spending will never understand what the castle law means. A cake eating civilian will never understand why a soldier loves his weapons. A person who finds safety in numbers will never understand what personal protection means. Nothing is more dehumanizing than not being able to protect yourself and your family. SHOOT BACK!

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:06 am

The poor guy!! There should be some mitigating factor in the law for old soldiers!!
It will be a complete "farewell to arms" very soon in South Asia unless RKBA is given some religious spin. Nothing works as good as religion in South Asia, our politicians know this very well.
That's a brilliant idea!!

Long years ago, Lokmanya Tilak used the Ganpati festival as an occasion to bring people together and sow the seeds of nationalism. Might be able to do a repeat performance with Shastra Pooja on Navami / Dasami day. A neighborhood can gather together and worship whatever arms people own. And just to make it more acceptable, we can keep other "shastras" like kitchen knives, laptops, musical instruments, etc.

Apologies for not being familiar with similar occasions for other religions.

What say, fellow Mumbaikars, CMG member, etc., should 2016 Dussehra be an occasion for a "joint shastra pooja"?
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:10 am

essdee1972 wrote: That's a brilliant idea!!
What say, fellow Mumbaikars, CMG members, etc., should 2016 Dussehra be an occasion for a "joint shastra pooja"?
:agree: :agree: :agree:
Briha

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:54 pm

I agree with essdee1972 and Briha ji.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:21 pm

essdee1972 wrote:That's a brilliant idea!!
Long years ago, Lokmanya Tilak used the Ganpati festival as an occasion to bring people together and sow the seeds of nationalism. Might be able to do a repeat performance with Shastra Pooja on Navami / Dasami day. A neighborhood can gather together and worship whatever arms people own. And just to make it more acceptable, we can keep other "shastras" like kitchen knives, laptops, musical instruments, etc.
Apologies for not being familiar with similar occasions for other religions.
What say, fellow Mumbaikars, CMG member, etc., should 2016 Dussehra be an occasion for a "joint shastra pooja"?
Kitchen knives, laptops, musical instruments, etc. are tools of trade in some cases. Here in North (or at least Delhi and UP, I am sure) we worship our tools of trade like tool kits in the workshop, writing instruments like pens in certain communities and guns by a lot of people.
This pooja is done the day after Diwali also called the 'VIshwa karma Day'. The tools and equipment are worshipped and lot of factories and workshops do not operate on that day.

It should also be considered that a big gathering of people to worship firearms would not be a very good idea. It will definitely lead to celebratory firing and then the administration would go against the RKBA with more solid reasons. And this practice would be stopped much before one can even think about achieving any positive results.

Atul

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:17 pm

aadhaulya wrote:It should also be considered that a big gathering of people to worship firearms would not be a very good idea. It will definitely lead to celebratory firing and then the administration would go against the RKBA with more solid reasons. And this practice would be stopped much before one can even think about achieving any positive results.
Matters if done carefully might work. The main aim is generating awareness. Following regardless of religion may work -

First find the exact scriptures or verses that support RKBA. Get them confirmed from pandit/ maulvi/ granthi/ priest or whatever applicable.

Take support from local politicians and persons that matter. Involve them and invite them.

Organize the function where the sacredness of RKBA as per scriptures is revealed to the crowd by pandit/ maulvi/ granthi/ priest etc. making clear that RKBA is a very sacred matter that has to be respected to the fullest, no provocative gestures or slogans are to be raised. Simultaneously the crowd is made aware of the nearest shooting range or place they can hold regular shooting competitions etc.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:42 am

goodboy_mentor wrote:First find the exact scriptures or verses that support RKBA. Get them confirmed from pandit/ maulvi/ granthi/ priest or whatever applicable.
This is the only thing that may work. I wonder if scriptures like that exists.

Atul

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:45 pm

aadhaulya wrote:I wonder if scriptures like that exists.
Yes they do exist. It is only the lack of awareness. May refer the following posts -
https://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopi ... 12#p119071
https://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopi ... 75#p235254
https://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopi ... 30#p230480 (points numbered 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

These are the only one we came across by chance on the internet. Probably there are many more in various religions which we do not know.