How licensed arms help thwart this terror attack

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

How licensed arms help thwart this terror attack

Post by mundaire » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:11 pm

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/punjab ... 12623.html
He engaged ultras with borrowed ammo for half hour

Ravi Dhaliwal
Tribune News Service
Dinanagar, July 28

The residents of Dinanagar are saluting one of their own, Head Constable Sham Sunder (43), who kept at the bay the militants for a good 30-odd minutes after borrowing weapons and ammunition from one of his friends before security forces commenced the actual operation.

Sham Sunder was on the verge of completing his morning walk when he heard a sudden burst of gunfire originating from the rear of the bus stand. A friend told him that some fire crackers were being burst by “some wayward children early in the morning.” But Sham Sunder refused to believe what his friend told him. His policing instincts—he has been with the force for the last 23 years—told him the sound was not of firecrackers. The high decibel sound was a result of somebody firing from an AK-47 rifle.

He immediately rushed to his second floor residential quarters, located within the precincts of the police station, and knocked the door of his flat. Relieved after finding that his wife, son and daughter were safe, Sham Sunder rushed to the roof and engaged the militants who had been holed up 30 metres away in the old DSP building. Before reaching his residence, Sham Sunder had called up his friend Pran Nath Khajuria and had asked him to hand him over whatever licensed weapons he had. Khajuria ran to his residence and within five minutes he handed over Sham Sunder a .12 bore rifle, a .32 bore revolver and 50 rounds of ammunition.

Armed, Sham Sunder took charge on his roof and started firing at the militants. “They had telescopic rifles. Their aim was good. They seemed to be highly trained sharp shooters. I kept on firing as I knew that the police would take nearly an hour to take out the ammunition needed for the operation from the Malkhana located in the Police Lines. First I used my revolver but then I sensed it was not effective keeping in view its limited range. I kept it aside and started using my rifle,” he disclosed.

His wife Ramal Kanta, son Tushar (15) and daughter Diksha (12) kept on requesting Sham Sunder to come down from the roof which by now had been converted into a mini battleground. The head constable, wearing a kurta pyjama, was not willing to listen. After 15 minutes his movements on the rooftop caught the attention of SP (Headquarters) Salwinder Singh. The SP asked him to come down and get dressed in his police uniform.

Sham Sunder clambered down, crawled into his residence and within no time he was again exchanging fire with the militants after wearing his uniform. This continued for nearly 30 minutes till the first batch of armed security personnel made their presence felt. “I made them waste nearly 50 odd bullets. They were firing from AK-47 guns,” he added.

Sham Sunder has his ancestral house in Dinanagar town but for the last seven years he has been staying in the residential quarters meant for policemen inside the police station. Ever since yesterday’s pyrotechnics, Sham Sunder has become a hero among both his colleagues and residents.
Contrast the above with what happened in Mumbai.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How licensed arms help thwart this terror attack

Post by snIPer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:22 pm

Wow, this is nice to read. Hats of to the gentleman who had the presence of mind and courage to engage the armed militants. Also goes to show what armed citizens can do in such real life situations.
Hope the government realizes the importance of arming the citizens at least now and encourages citizens to bear arms.
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:35 pm

Very well done.

chicky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by chicky » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:03 pm

I too strongly believe in allowing arms to law abiding citizens. It would do , under the present circumstances , more good and eventually help the Police (like it did in this case).
And ,of course a big round of applause to Head Constable Sham Sunder...well done.

Chicky
"One can never know how far he can go and reach, until he starts running "

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:51 pm

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. :) It doesn't have to be always a policeman. Time and again it is proven, I hope more people realize this.

kanwal
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kanwal » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:37 pm

Great !!

Salutes...to hero

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:59 pm

I was talking the same with one of my friend in office that i think I saw a guy with a shotty in the news.

I have no hope with yhe govt. its going to stay same for normal citizens

Sent from my typewriter using Tapatalk - now Free
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:32 am

It looks like maximum 50 cartridges ammunition quota prevented this man from carrying on further. The terrorists would have said "Long live the quota!" Are the brilliant men in MHA listening?
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:47 am

Bravo!

The anti gun ownership groups needs to see that in In a world of complete ban the only firearms that would have been missing from this scene would have been those in the hands of Sham Sunder.

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:48 am

Hats off to Sham Sundar Ji for his bravery.

The main reason for Hitler not to invade USA during World War II was that majority of people there are well armed and had sufficient training to retaliate.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:00 am

Respect to the head constable. His presence of mind and courage would surely have helped in the situation. Hope someone higher up reads this article and recognises his efforts and also look at the broader picture and take concrete steps towards RKBA.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:54 am

:clap: Bravo, well done Sham Sunder! What a man! (y)
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:04 pm

ckkalyan wrote::clap: Bravo, well done Sham Sunder! What a man! (y)
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
:skeet: :skeet: :skeet: :skeet: :skeet: :skeet: :skeet:
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:54 pm

All that could have been said, has been said already.

I will just add my respects for a very brave man, and fond hopes that some eyes will be opened by this incident!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:21 pm

A brave man no doubt, Some thing we have to be thankful such men are there protecting us!
If the Government saw that it, and us licensees as one, instead of treating us like criminals, then what a force multiplier we would be for it. Imagine if the bad guys/terrorists/criminals did not know how many civilians were packing licensed guns, how inclined do you think they would be to attack? Their success or impact lays in our complacence and lack of readiness.
The cops are humans too, they cant be at all places at all times to prevent these attacks, neither can the Government be held responsible for prevention in all cases, but once the situation starts, those under attack should have recourse to an adequate response, thereby buying enough time for the Police or Paramilitary forces to arrive.
As sensational as the attack on our Parliament or the Taj Mumbai was, what were the change in gun laws? Those very laws that are helpful on the ground as the situation unravels? I am not talking of the response time of the Armed forces.
The Arms Law/Rules were made "stricter" for the licensees!! Hypothetically, if this gentleman had access to a civilian(semi auto) AK 47 or such other gun, instead of a .32 revolver and .12 Bore "Rifle" as the media reported, you could bet that this episode may have been a lot shorter and the valuable lives of our officers and civilians may have been saved.
Regards,
Anand