There is still hope for all of us.....

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

There is still hope for all of us.....

Post by xl_target » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:45 am

There is still hope for all of us.......
An untrained home owner with a cheap, untried handgun bests a burglar. :D
... however, it all turned out good; any landing that you can walk away from, etc.etc.

http://kfor.com/2014/10/15/they-thought ... -intruder/
SHAWNEE, Okla. – A Shawnee homeowner says he was the victim of a break-in, but the intruder picked the wrong house.

Shawnee police were called to a home early Wednesday morning after receiving a report of a homeowner shooting an intruder.

Cardell and his wife, Frances, were asleep when they heard a banging on their back door.

“I grabbed my gun and loaded it,” Cardell said.

Cardell, who is in his 70s, made his way into the living room and came face-to-face with a man armed with a shotgun.

“He kept hollering, ‘Get on the ground! Get on the ground,” Cardell said. “I told him, I said, ‘You better get out of here. And he kept a coming, so I fired.”

“I heard the shots and I didn’t know if the guy had shot my husband,” said Frances.

Fortunately, Cardell was not hurt.

However, police say his one round hit the alleged suspect in the chest.

“He had the right to do what he did,” said Jason Crouch, with the Shawnee Police Department. “You’re entitled to protect yourself and your family and your house.”

Cardell says he did not have any experience using a firearm.

“No! That’s my first time shooting a gun,” he said.
:shock: :shock:

Frances said they bought the gun hoping to never need it, but now she’s glad it was there.

“This is something we never dreamed would have happened in our lifetime,” Frances said.

The alleged suspect ran off but police found him hiding under a neighbor’s truck.

Officers have identified the alleged suspect as 26-year-old Justin Ray Harjo, who lives in the Shawnee area.

He is now in the hospital in critical condition.

“I think they thought we were easy prey,” Frances said.

Cardell says his gun jammed after he fired that first shot. :shock: :shock:

He says he doesn’t want to think about what would’ve happened had he not hit Harjo on the first try.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: There is still hope for all of us.....

Post by timmy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:26 am

I think that is a good story! Of course, it isn't a good policy to be fooling with guns without having practiced, but in this case, it sure beat not having a gun at all.

I have often wondered what would happen if the government would institute the paying of a premium for people like Mr. Cardell who, defending their home, person, or loved one, put an end to depredations of criminals like Mr. Harjo permanently.

Consider: how would criminals act or react if they knew that the person who might be in the house they were thinking about entering illegally could be awarded a quick $100,000 for sending them to eternity -- this would be easier and better than winning a lottery!

This may seem like a lot of money, but it is only a fraction of what it costs society to lock up a goon for, say, 20 years.

Knowing that someone eager to blast them and cash in on a big reward would be waiting inside most any house would certainly give many bad guys pause for thought.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Jeet3
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: There is still hope for all of us.....

Post by Jeet3 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:56 am

So true Timmy. I live in Naperville IL and have my 9mm under my pillow and my .25 ACP on my bedside table 24 / 7. This township is safer than Chicago, but then who knows. Diseases spread and the onslaught of criminals and their circuses can spread to any place right? I would love to visit Alaska sometime. I believe they have very few restrictions as far as gun laws are concerned.

Jeet
Watch where you point your weapon, look beyond and around the target and know what you are using as your ammo. A safe handler of guns is a respected handler of guns.