Nirbheek name controversy...

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Nirbheek name controversy...

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:47 am

Virendra, my statement about 1:1 ratio of police to public was based on the anti's statements about the government "failing to protect" the citizens. My viewpoint is that for 100% protection, we need one bodyguard (at least) per potential victim, hence 1:1 ratio. Even if you take the UN's ideal ratio, we end up with a cop having to protect 450 people!!!

If anyone is a teacher on this forum (esp a schoolteacher), he would know how hard it is to watch over just 20-50 kids. When you tell the loudest kid to shut up, the second loudest one goes on merrily. And then imagine the poor cop looking after (ideally) 450 people!! What will he prevent - murder, rape, bank robbery, terrorist strike??
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

For Advertising mail webmaster
fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:01 pm

All these researches and studies are hogwash amd only serve vested intrests of the initiator.

Why even have a controversy on the name. Nirbhaya was not even her real name.

And there have been so many similar cases after her tragedy and they continue.

I too believe this revolver is more of a status symbol for the rich and famous rather than a genuine self defence weapon.

And I wonder why there was no commemorative weaoin launched after 26/11 where indeed some of the high flyers lost their lives.

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:37 am

Just remind me if I ever forget, how on earth. So how many people are in this Survival Network
It really is an insult to the memory of Nirbhaya," said Binalakshmi Nepram, founder of the Manipur Women Gun Survivors Network said on Sunday."Our research shows that a person is 12 times more likely to be shot dead if they are carrying a gun when attacked," she told AFP."It also shows that the government of India has failed to protect women by resorting to this. Arming women is not a responsible way to secure their safety and security," she said

Edit ...... shooter, she is talking about just women only. But real question is where she done that study and how many dead women she been talking about, how many were carrying an active self defense firearm ... ?
Last edited by Hammerhead on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:12 am

Dear mr a_kamal,

i respect your opinion that you agree with all 3 of ms. Nepram's points.

While Ms Nepram is not present to answer our questions, maybe you could provide some insight to how this figure of 12 times was reached.

The skewed statistics just mislead the public.

Does this include army personnel, commandos who carry guns and are more likely to get shot.
same for gangsters, land mafia, liquor contractors etc.
this comes down to the same thinking of blaming the inanimate object: till today i am at a low risk of getting shot, now that i have a gun, im more likely to get shot!!

Get real.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.