HC bans issuance of fresh arms licences in UP

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
tiwarianurag
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: HC bans issuance of fresh arms licences in UP

Post by tiwarianurag » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:12 pm

New Order From HC

This is an UNCERTIFIED copy for information/reference. For authentic copy please refer to certified copy only. In case of any mistake, please bring it to the notice of Deputy Registrar(Copying).
HIGH COURT OF JUDICATURE AT ALLAHABAD, LUCKNOW BENCH

Court No. - 23

Case :- MISC. BENCH No. - 3268 of 2012

Petitioner :- Jitendra Singh
Respondent :- State Of U.P. Thru Secy. Deptt Of Home And Others
Counsel for Petitioner :- Shailendra Kumar Singh,Anshuman Singh
Counsel for Respondent :- Govt. Advocate,A.S.G.,Csc,I.H.Farooqi

Hon'ble Sudhir Kumar Saxena,J.
Hon'ble Rakesh Srivastava,J.
1.Heard Sri Shailendra Singh, A.G.A. and counsel for union of India. We had the advantage of hearing Prof. Himanshu Rai on his report as well as Sri Navnit Sikera, I.G. Women Cell, U.P.
2.Present writ petition was taken up as a public cause and treated as a P.I.L. in view of number of deaths in celebratory firing.
3.We had restrained the licence holders from indulging in any sort of celebratory firing, resulting in killing of innocent persons, going unattended and unpunished. Perturbed over the large number of arms held by private citizens as against held by police force of State (5:1), vide order dated 07.10.2013 issuance of fresh arms licences was restricted.
4.Vide order dated 03.05.2012, Assistant Solicitor General of India was directed to place on record the stand of the Central Government. Thereafter, repeated opportunities were given to counsel for Central Government. Lastly, on 18.09.2014, Sri Pandey, learned A.S.G. promised to take up the matter with Secretary, Home, Govt. of India and place before this Court the stand of Central Government in the light of report submitted by Professor Himanshu Rai from I.I.M., Lucknow but this assurance remained unfulfilled. In this view of the matter, we have no option but to give last opportunity to Central Government to place its stand on the point of celebratory firing and the ratio in which arms licences have been granted to citizens in all the States and U.T. vis-a-vis held by the police force and what should be the ideal situation. Central Government was directed to come out with a stand as to what should be the mode or methodology for maintaining equilibrium between the arms held by the police force and citizens. Concentration of arms in particular State or region is cause of concern for the court and should be for the Central government, as such specific stand and policy has to be placed before this Court by the next date. This becomes important as State Govt. passes on the buck on the plea that licences are granted under the directive of Central Govt.
5.Sri Chandra Prakash, ADG (Rules) has filed affidavit detailing the steps taken by the State Govt.
6.State Government has not clarified its stand on creating arms free zone as ordered by us earlier. We had indicated that public places like Public Parks, Bus Stands, Railway Stations, Cinema Halls, Malls, State Guest Houses/Circuit Houses, Civil Secretariat, High Court, Airports, Government Offices especially where contracts or public tenders are given etc. should be made arms free zone. Query of this Court has been conveniently avoided in the affidavit filed by Sri Chandra Prakash. They should come out with the clear plan whether Government wants to do it or not.
7.From the report submitted by the State Government, it is apparent that 55 persons are holding more than three arms licences which is not legally possible that is why there should not be any difficulty to take action against these 55 licence holders.
8.In the affidavit filed by Principal Secretary on August 23, 2013, it was stated that the arms licence in excess of three, will be cancelled by the Licencing Authority and arms will be deposited with the Police Station within 19 days. No statement has been made regarding compliance of this order. We direct the State Government to inform if the licences in excess of three have been cancelled and arms deposited.
9.State Government will also inform about the action taken against 5730 licence holders against whom criminal trial was pending as well as against 1061 licence holders against whom F.I.R. has been registered in the State.
10.From the affidavit filed by Sri Chandra Prakash, ADG(Rules) and Member Secretary, Monitoring Committee, appointed by this Court, it is apparent that State Government had issued Government Orders on 30th September, 2014 and 9th October, 2014 requiring District Magistrates to complete the process of licence cancellation where arms were used in celebratory firing.
11.From the Chart submitted alongwith affidavit, it is apparent that more than 50 cases are still pending before the District Magistrates, Bareilly district being the major shareholder. By the next date, an affidavit be filed regarding progress of remaining cases.
12.It should be further informed as to what action against the licence holders having criminal cases, is taken by the authorities. If there is stay order from any court, details thereof be also given. It is apparent from the Chart, annexure no. 4 that large number of persons have not been touched. Special mention may be made of districts Aligarh, Allahabad, Azamgarh, Banda, Chandauli, Deoria, Fatehpur, Firozabad, Ghazipur, Hamirpur, Hardoi, Hathras, Jaunpur, Kanpur Nagar, Kashiram Nagar, Lucknow, Mathura, Mirzapur, Moradabad, Muzzafarnagar, Pratapgarh, Sitapur and Sultanpur. State Government will call for details from the concerned districts alongwith reasons and submit the same before this Court.
13.In para 8 of the affidavit, it is stated that question of providing State security to persons who are already having arms should be considered. We would like State government to answer whether it proposes to remove the security of persons holding arms licence and if so in what manner. State Govt. may consider exempting constitutional post holders, govt. officers and members of Parliament and Legislative Assembly/council.
14.So far as information from other States is concerned, only general information has been given. Information of Delhi, however, shows that arms held by private persons in Delhi are less than the arms held by Police Force. That appears to be the ideal situation.
15.State Government would also give its response to following suggestions :
(a) Making biometrics identification compulsory before granting or renewing licences.
(b) Satisfaction of District Magistrates regarding capability of handling arms which would include physical fitness.
(c) Verification of details maintained by the District Magistrates with record of police station.
(d) Verification of address of licence holders and their antecedents.
(e) Medical certificates for licence holders aged more than 65 years, from the C.M.O. especially having regard to their capability to handle arms.
(f) The place where licence holders have learnt and practiced arms-handling and satisfaction of SP/SSP regarding training at the time of granting/renewal of licence.
(g) Cancellation of licence where arm was not purchased even after expiry of the six months from the date of issuance of licence.
(h) Verification of I.D. Proof.
(i) Satisfaction with regard to no bank/govt. dues against the applicant or members of the family.
(j) Verification of economic status particularly having regard to the income tax.
(k) Fixing a ceiling for buying fresh cartridges and verification of cartridge used before issuing fresh ammunition.
(l) Submission of bank chalan before depositing the arms with arm dealer/Police Station in order to check the back dating.
(m) Launch of voluntary surrender scheme where licence holders may be asked to surrender the arm licences voluntarily.
(n) Verification of registers maintained by every arm dealer annually/periodically.
(o) Any licence in excess of one can be granted/renewed only with the approval of State Government. Similarly, licence for Pistol, revolver, Rifle or long barrel gun (assault weapon) etc., be granted only with the approval of the State Government that too on the basis of joint report of DM/SP regarding need and propriety of arm licence.
(p) Three-not-three, a lethal weapon given by State Govt to Police personnel if should not be replaced by smaller and less lethal weapon for being used against fellow citizens.
(q) Character, mental stability and capability to handle arms should be to the satisfaction of the District Magistrate himself before granting licence.
(r) Involving village Pradhans, owners of the Banquet Hall and Lodge to ensure that celebratory firing is not resorted to during the marriage or other functions.

16.These may be done not only when fresh arm licences are issued but at the time of renewal also, in the light of letter dated 31st March, 2010 issued by Secretary, Home Department to all the State Governments.
17.So far as, national data-base of arms licence is concerned, it is apparent that State Government is already vigorously pursuing the matter with the District Magistrates which would, up to a large extent check the duplication of licences.
18.State Government would also inform the details of licences issued by the District Magistrates after 07.10.2013 alongwith reason therefor.
19.List this matter for further orders on 17th December, 2014. Sri Navneet Sikera who is present today is also requested to assist the Court on the next date. Professor Himanshu Rai may send further inputs to Home Department for being placed before this Court.
Order Date :- 13.11.2014
kkv/

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:40 pm

Has NAGRI thought about how to deal with these kind of developments?
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:00 am

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15(B) so a wheelchair bound person cant have a gun??
15(E) so the CMO will be the firearm handling judge???
15 (O) so an assault weapon can be granted by the state Govt. provided the police officers are ok with it!
and the gem..
15 (P) three-not-three (sic) should be kept because of its lethality, to be used against citizens!!!
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:34 am

Wasn't this ban already in place since last year or start of this one? Had heard the same news earlier as well.
Court had noted that influential people and ones with dubious credentials were getting licenses. Hence fresh issuance was banned.
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..

tiwarianurag
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by tiwarianurag » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:06 pm

?Court No. - 23

Petitioner :- Jitendra Singh

It is stated by Ms. Suniti Sachan, learned Additional Advocate General that on account of some personal problem in the family of Sri Rishad Murtaza, learned Government Advocate, affidavit could not be prepared. She prays for some time to file affidavit as directed by us on the last date.
Sri Surya Bhan Pandey, learned Assistant Solicitor General of India states that he has already discussed the matter with concerned Joint-Secretary (Home). He assures the Court that he will get the desired information and necessary follow up within a week.
Since petition involves larger public issue of possession of arms by the citizens vis-a-vis Police force and involves other issues relating to public safety, we have requested Dr. L.P. Mishra, Advocate, who is present in Court, to assist the Court as Amicus Curie. He gives his consent, therefore, we appoint him as Amicus Curie to assist the Court in the matter. Copy of the writ petition as well as copy of orders passed by this Court will be supplied by the Registry to Sri Mishra within three days.
List this matter again on 15.01.2015, as jointly prayed, enabling State Govt. and Central Govt. to file respective affidavits.
Order Date :- 17.12.2014

anubhav_rulez
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anubhav_rulez » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:43 pm

New update, regarding licence issuance
IMG_499775446681664.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anubhav Bajpai
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's always better to have a gun & don't need it...Than need a gun & not having it !!!

tiwarianurag
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by tiwarianurag » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:52 am

New order By HC

Petitioner :- Jitendra Singh [P.I.L.]

Taking note of the innocent killing in celebratory firing, a Bench of Justice Abdul Mateen and myself (Hon. Sudhir Kumar Saxena, J.) has taken up this issue for public cause. Relevant part of the order dated 03.05.2012 is being reproduced below:-
" We have taken up this issue for public issue as it was felt that the person having the licenced Arm uses it in public gathering, religious places, marriage parties and likewise other functions where the licencee intends to show his authority and status in the guise of joy. This amounts to causing terror in general public. Right to life guaranteed under Article 21 of the Constitution of India, includes the right to live with dignity. Dignity would stand compromised if one is not allowed to live a terror-free life."
In pursuance of the various orders passed by this Court, number of regulatory measures have been taken to restrict the issuance of licence and use of arms in celebratory firing.
On 17.12.2014, Dr. L.P. Mishra was appointed amicus curiae, as petition involves larger public issue of possession of arms by the citizens vis-a-vis Police force and involves other issues relating to public safety.
This petition has been assigned to this Bench under the orders passed by Hon'ble Senior Judge. However, it has not been captioned as P.I.L. Put up before Hon'ble Senior Judge for appropriate orders, in this regard.
Sri Rishad Murtaza, learned Government Advocate has filed supplementary counter affidavit.
Annexure no. 1 to the supplementary counter affidavit shows that in pursuance of the order passed by this Court dated 13.11.2014, State Government has notified sixteen Arms Free Zone, while Central Government has notified twenty six Arms Free Zone in Uttar Pradesh. It is thus evident that carrying of arms is strictly prohibited in these places which include the following:-
"(1) माo उच्च न्यायालय, इलाहाबाद एवं खंडपीठ लखनऊ I
(2) माo समस्त जनपद/अधीनस्थ न्यायालय, उo प्रo I
(3) बैंक, बीमा कार्यालय एवं डाकघर (जहाँ प्रचुर मात्र में सार्वजनिक धन जमा होता है )I
(4) कारागार I
(5) विधान भवन एवं उo प्रo सचिवालय के सभी भवन I
(6) राजभवन I
(7) माo मुख्यमंत्री आवास I
(8) हवाई अड्ड़े- (i) चौधरी चरण सिंह एयरपोर्ट, लखनऊ, (ii) लाल बहादुर शास्त्री एयरपोर्ट, वाराणसी, (iii)- सिविल एयरपोर्ट, चेकरी, कानपुर, (iv)- इलाहाबाद एयरपोर्ट, (v)- आगरा एयरपोर्ट, (vi )- गोरखपुर एयरपोर्ट, (vii)- इन्दिरा गांधी राष्ट्रीय उड़ान अकादमी अमेठी, (viii)- भविष्य में बनने वाले अन्य एयरपोर्ट I
(9) धार्मिक स्थल -(i)-राम जन्म भूमि/बाबरी मस्जिद परिसर अयोध्या, फैज़ाबाद, (ii)- काशी विश्वनाथ मन्दिर/ज्ञानवापी मस्जिद वाराणसी, (iii)- कृष्ण जन्म भूमि/शाही ईदगाह मस्जिद मथुरा I
(10) ताजमहल, आगरा I
(11) प्रदेश के समस्त सिनेमा हॉल I
(12) समस्त शॉपिंग माल्स I
(13) समस्त शासकीय एवं निजी क्षेत्र के चिकित्सालय I
(14) शासकीय एवं निजी क्षेत्र के समस्त शिक्षण संस्थान (प्राथमिक/माध्यमिक/विश्व विद्यालय ) I
(15) सरकारी एवं निजी भवनों में स्थित समस्त सरकारी कार्यालय I
(16) सरकार द्वारा अधिसूचित सार्वजनिक पार्क I"
State Government will give due publicity to the above Government orders and necessary notice will be displayed at prominent places of above specified Arms Free Zone.
Standing Counsel for Union of India informs that Sri S.B. Pandey is coming shortly.
Put up tomorrow (16.01.2015), for further orders.
Order Date :- 15.1.2015
Nitesh

Visit http://elegalix.allahabadhighcourt.in/e ... bSearch.do for more Judgments/Orders delivered at Allahabad High Court and Its Bench at Lucknow. Disclaimer

tiwarianurag
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by tiwarianurag » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:45 am

HC on 16/01/2015
Court No. - 23

1.Heard Sri S.N. Pandey, A.S.G. for Union of India and Sri Rishad Murtaza, Government Advocate.
2.Due to lawyers strike, Sri L.P. Mishra, Amicus Curiae is not present.
3.Sri S.N. Pandey, at the outset stated that on account of delay in collecting information, affidavit as directed on the last date, could not be filed. He prays for some more time.
4.Order sheet shows that number of opportunities have been given but Central Government has not filed affidavit. On the last date, it was stated by Sri Pandey that he has already had a discussion with Joint Secretary concerned, but it is unfortunate to note that affidavit has not been filed. After taking instructions from Sri Saurashtra Singh, Under Secretary (Home), Sri Pandey prays for one week time to file affidavit. As last measure, we grant him one more opportunity. If affidavit, as directed earlier is not filed by the next date, Home Secretary, Govt. of India himself will appear in person.
5.An affidavit has been filed by Sri Chandra Prakash, Additional Director General of Police (Rules & Manual), from which it appears that State Government has issued Government order on 29.12.2014 creating 42 Arms Free Zone out of which 26 Arms Free Zone have been created, on the information given by Central Government. Carrying of Arms in these Arms Free Zone is strictly prohibited and security personnel on duty alone are exempted. We understand that there may be difficulty in ensuring the implementation of this Government order. Consequently, we direct Principal Secretary, Information, State of U.P. to ensure wide publicity of the Government order by way of print and electronic media and if any information of violation of above G.O. is received by concerned District Magistrate or Superintendent of Police in any manner, he will be free to take action against the licence holder in accordance with law.
6.In the affidavit, details of persons having more than three licence have been given but this list is incomplete and it does not show if any action has actually been taken for cancellation of the Arms. It appears that District Magistrates are not taking due interest in the matter. Principal Secretary will ensure that the arm licences in excess of three are canceled before the next date, after following due procedure. By the next date, report of all seventy five districts will be placed before the Court.
7.Details of the persons who have obtained arms licence while having criminal background is not complete. Report of only thirteen districts has been given. By the next date, report of all the districts will be placed before this Court.
8.So far as security to licence holders is concerned, it has been informed that security has been given to the persons in accordance with the new security policy dated 09.05.2014 as such, no justification is found to withdraw the same. Amicus curiae is requested to examine this matter and make submission on the next date.
9.From Annexure no. 8, it appears that despite interim order passed by this Court, large number of licences have been issued. Principal Secretary, Home will examine if licences have been issued in accordance with the order passed by this Court. Learned Amicus Curiae will also examine the issue. Even here, complete report of all districts has not been placed.
10.Sri Rishad Murtaza has stated that direction issued by this Court on the last date have been complied with in toto and the conditions stipulated in G.O. dated 29.12.2014 will be enforced not only at the time of issuance of licence but also at the time of renewal thereof. We allow this matter to rest.
11.Principal Secretary, Home will ensure that by the next date, complete reports of all the districts as directed above are filed with full details.
12.List this matter for further hearing on 09.02.2015.
13.Copy of the order be supplied to Dr. L.P. Mishra, Advocate, amicus curie.
Order Date :- 16.1.2015
Nitesh

tiwarianurag,
If you are going to cut and paste from the Internet, please post links to the relevant article, judgement, etc.
-Mod

tiwarianurag
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by tiwarianurag » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:47 pm

New Order By HC Dated 09/02/2015
HIGH COURT OF JUDICATURE AT ALLAHABAD, LUCKNOW BENCH

Sri Rishad Murtaza, Government Advocate, has filed affidavit of Sri Chandra Prakash, Additional Director General of Police (Rules & Manual), U.P. in which he has stated that reports received from 67 districts show that 38 persons were having more than three license, 24 were in the name of Government institutions. License of five persons have been cancelled- one from Allahabad and four from Muzaffar Nagar. Proceedings against two persons are pending. Six persons have been found to be shooters, as such their license have not been cancelled. 23 licenses are granted in district Pilibhit, Gorakhpur and one at Allahabad.
Can arm license be granted under Arms Act to an institution and whether institutions can have more than three licenses. Prima facie it appears doubtful. Government Advocate would apprise the Court on these issues on the next date.
Moreover, report from district Lucknow, Kanpur Nagar and Azamgarh etc. is not available. It is strange that Government has not taken interest to collect report from Lucknow itself. It has been observed on the last date that District Magistrates are not taking due interest in the matter and despite our specific order on the last date, Home Secretary has not submitted complete report. We take serious view of the mater and direct Home Secretary to furnish report as desired on the last date in respect of all the districts by next date. Any default in this regard will not be countenanced.
So far as persons having criminal antecedents are concerned, it is informed by Government Advocate that action has been taken against the persons. Large number of licenses, have been cancelled. We are satisfied with the progress made by the State Government in this regard. State Government would do well directing District Magistrates to conclude the pending proceedings in respect of� license holders having criminal antecedents.
Amicus Curiae is not present. He was requested to examine the matter of security as well as licenses issued by the District Magistrate after our interim order.
Sri S.B. Pandey learned Assistant Solicitor General of India informs that an affidavit of Sri Swaraj Kharb, Under Secretary (Home) has been lost in transit. It was sent by speed post on 3/4th January, 2015 but the same has not reached yet. A copy of affidavit has been produced which does not show anything as desired by us. An effort has been made to confuse the Court. We have specifically asked for certain information. Now that a copy of the affidavit has been placed, it cannot be said that there was no intention to comply with the order but compliance has been made in a denial mode.
Central Government has to collect the figures of licenses granted in various States as well as arms held by Civil Forces. State of U.P. has supplied the figures in second hearing. It should not be difficult for Central Government to furnish necessary information.
Moreover, Central Government may reconsider the need of retention of ceiling on three licenses. Licenses are granted for personal handling. A person cannot handle three licenses. At the most two licenses would meet the requirement i.e. one long barrel and one small weapon.
Similarly sophisticated weapons like carbine etc. can be placed in the list of prohibited weapons impermissible for civilians. Central Government may consider aforesaid suggestions and offer its views thereon.
We direct Joint Secretary (Home) dealing with the matter to appear before this Court on the next date and furnish information by means of an affidavit as ordered by us lastly on 16.01.2015 and today.
Sri Shailendra Singh, Advocate who is counsel for petitioner has filed his personal affidavit placing on record certain suggestions for checking the misuse of arms. Government Advocate would file a reply to the aforesaid affidavit by the next date.
List on 16.03.2015.
Order Date :- 9.2.2015
Pradeep/-

Visit http://elegalix.allahabadhighcourt.in/e ... bSearch.do for more Judgments/Orders delivered at Allahabad High Court and Its Bench at Lucknow. Disclaimer

[email protected]
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by [email protected] » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:49 pm

what was the result of hearing on 16.3.2015. Any idea ???????????????????

toughsurvivor
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by toughsurvivor » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:34 pm

i think this will worse the situation. and can lead hike in illegal arms market. with more criminals on roads.

anubhav_rulez
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anubhav_rulez » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:28 pm

Nothing as of now cause of boycott called by lawyers.
Anubhav Bajpai
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's always better to have a gun & don't need it...Than need a gun & not having it !!!

[email protected]
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by [email protected] » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:46 pm

"It's always better to have a gun & don't need it...Than need a gun & not having it !!!"

absolutely correct................

[email protected]
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by [email protected] » Fri May 15, 2015 11:53 am

Counsel for Petitioner :- Shailendra Kumar Singh,Anshuman Singh,Mr.Surya Bhan Pandey,Raj Kumar Singh
Counsel for Respondent :- Govt. Advocate,A.S.G.,CSC,I.H.Farooqi

Hon'ble Dinesh Maheshwari,J.
Hon'ble Ritu Raj Awasthi,J.
In compliance of the order passed in this matter on 9.2.2015 and later on, Mr Bhagwan Shanker, Joint Secretary(Home), Government of India is present today in the Court.
Mr Bhagwan Shanker inter-alia submits that all necessary instructions and inputs have been supplied to the learned Assistant Solicitor General of India for submissions before the Court.
In the totality of the circumstances, as at present, we see no further necessity of personal presence of the said Joint Secretary in this matter.
As regard this matter, his personal presence is exempted for the time being.
List this matter and connected matter for consideration on 19.5.2015.
Order Date :- 7.5.2015
MH/-
(Ritu Raj Awasthi,J.) (Dinesh Maheshwari,J.)

[email protected]
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by [email protected] » Tue May 19, 2015 10:51 am

today a new date will be announce for further hearing .....................