women and well armed

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

women and well armed

Post by nagarifle » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:31 pm

TWAW Chapters
http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/pages. ... eid=109852

Do You Need A Gun?

Only you can answer the question if you need a gun and it's not an easy question to answer. As women, this is a tough question for us to ask ourselves because it means facing our vulnerabilities. For our own peace of mind we tend to assure ourselves that; "people are good" or "my neighborhood is safe" or "I am always aware, I can prevent something from happening." Of course we know that none of these things are completely true, and if we are single women our risks go up exponentially.

Could You Use A Gun?

"USA TODAY Snapshots" reports that in 2011, 23% of all gun owners are women. Thats up from 13% in 2009!

For me personally, owning a gun was something I NEVER thought about; it didn't even cross my mind for most of my life as a wife and mother. In fact, I was the mother that would not even allow her children to play with toy guns!

But, as so many of ours do, my life changed. Now divorced with grown children, I suddenly began to realize my vulnerability and my inability to protect myself were the unthinkable to happen. My single lifestyle meant that I was going everywhere alone... to the store... to work...I was alone in my home every night...I drove 200 miles to visit my children. What would I do if my car broke down in a remote area? What would I do if...? So I began thinking seriously about my safety, and wondered about the possibility of acquiring a gun. Would I be able to use it? Could I shoot someone if I had to?

Carrie Shooting Judge

One day a friend took me to a shooting range so I could get the experience of holding and firing a gun. At first it was intimidating, but after the experience, I felt an exhilarating sense of confidence and empowerment. I knew that I was indeed capable of using a gun. From that day forward I never considered myself to be helpless again.

The statistics are overwhelming and the disturbing stories we see in the news are bound to make us stop, think and worry. My guess is that violent crime has either touched your life personally, or the life of women you know. Although I hate to dwell on such unpleasant realities, it is important to realize just how much violent crime is unleashed on women every day and why it is so very important that we take the necessary steps to protect ourselves.

There were 248,300 rapes/sexual assaults in the United States in 2007, more than 500 per day, up from 190,600 in 2005. Women were more likely than men to be victims; the rate for rape/sexual assault for persons age 12 or older in 2007 was 1.8 per 1,000 for females and 0.1 per 1,000 for males. National Crime Victimization Survey: Criminal Victimization, 2007. 2008. U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. Available at http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cv07.pdf.
The United States Justice Department's Bureau of Justice Statistics estimates that 3.4 million persons said they were victims of stalking during a 12-month period in 2005 and 2006. Women experience 20 stalking victimizations per 1,000 females age 18 and older, while men experience approximately seven stalking victimizations per 1,000 males age 18 and older. Baum, Katrina, Catalano, Shannan, Rand, Michael and Rose, Kristina. 2009. Stalking Victimization in the United States. U.S. Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Statistics. Available at http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/svus.pdf.

In 2003, among all female murder victims in the U.S., 30% were slain by their husbands or boyfriends. Source: Uniform Crime Reports of the U.S. 1996, Federal Bureau of Investigation, 2003 (January - June). That means the remaining 70% were slain by strangers.
"If a woman can protect herself, it's the first line of defense. She is 30 to 40 percent more likely to be attacked than a man," says a police firearms instructor a Philadelphia police officer for 30 years.

Lifetime rate of rape/attempted rape for women by race: 1

All women: 17.6%
White women: 17.7%
Black women: 18.8%
Asian Pacific Islander women: 6.8%
American Indian/Alaskan women: 34.1%
Mixed race women: 24.4%

Home Defense

Because of the confusing nature of the different state laws and crimes, verifiable statistics are hard to come by for home invasions in the United States. Some resources placed the statistics as high as 1 in 5 homes in the U.S. that will be broken into or experience some sort of home invasion. The majority of states do not categorize "home invasions" as a unique crime, but instead specify the actual crime committed once the criminals are inside the residence, such as homicide, assault, rape kidnapping, or robbery. Even with hard to find numbers I don't believe any of us could or should assume that our home or apartment is not a candidate for a home invasion.

There were 9,321,000 reported property crimes which include burglary, larceny and motor vehicle theft as reported in the U.S. Census Bureau's Crimes and Crime Rates by Type and Geographic Community: 2009 Report (Table 307) 2

OK, so I think we have covered some concerning statistics. Links are provided below for your further research.

Do you need a gun? Once again, only you can answer that question. The fact that you are considering this very important option shows your desire to empower yourself with knowledge, and with that, you become a Well Armed Woman - with or without a gun.

Links

The following are a selection of other web sites at which to find and verify violence against women statistics:

Department of Justice's Office on Violence Against Women
Family Violence Prevention Fund
RAINN Statistics
Violence Against Women Online Resources

Citations

1 National Institute of Justice & Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Prevalence, Incidence and Consequences of Violence against Women Survey. 1998.

2 Crimes and Crime Rates by Type of Offense http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/ ... 2s0306.pdf
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: women and well armed

Post by Amit357 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Nag,amazing stats,worst is the American Indian/Alaskan,amaaaazingly crazy.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:21 pm

These figures of crime, particularly of crime against women, are alarming. There is no doubt that a strong case has been made out for the possession and carrying of arms by all persons legally allowed to so so, women as well as men.

It is another wake up call.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:14 am

Glad to see at least one level headed scribe advocating use of force and weapons for defense from perverts....But stops short of mentioning use of guns.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life ... 8406288455

Happy to see my comment actually showed up there.....

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:47 am

fantumfan2003 wrote:Glad to see at least one level headed scribe advocating use of force and weapons for defense from perverts....But stops short of mentioning use of guns.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life ... 8406288455

Happy to see my comment actually showed up there.....

M.
FF,

Thanks for posting that.
I read through some of the other comments. What a bunch of... ah never mind.

If a bunch of rapists started turning up well perforated, I'd be willing to bet that there would be a sharp downturn in incidents overnight.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:52 am

xl_target wrote:If a bunch of rapists started turning up well perforated, I'd be willing to bet that there would be a sharp downturn in incidents overnight.
I believe that is true. Just think what could happen if the government offered a large, substantial bounty on rapists and those who attempt it. Open season on vermin like that, with a hefty payment to those who dispatch them, would make pretty short work of those with wandering hands in public.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:51 pm

timmy wrote:
xl_target wrote:If a bunch of rapists started turning up well perforated, I'd be willing to bet that there would be a sharp downturn in incidents overnight.
I believe that is true. Just think what could happen if the government offered a large, substantial bounty on rapists and those who attempt it. Open season on vermin like that, with a hefty payment to those who dispatch them, would make pretty short work of those with wandering hands in public.

> Hear... Hear :D
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:33 am

No No!!...... as the top cops say in the Bollywood fare - kanoon ko apne haath mein nahin lena chahiye (one shouldn't take the law in their own hands). Even though in the same movies, the cops were always the last to arrive on the scene!

Mr. Louis LAmour estimates that in the Wild West days, there were about 20,000 (maximum) people killed by gunshots (excluding fights with Native Americans, the Civil War, and other large conflicts, but including criminal actions - robberies, stage holdups, etc.). In a population of a few million people moving West under the lure of gold, cattle, buffaloes, land, and whatnot. Almost 100% armed, ready to fight. No law within miles and miles. And only 20,000 killed!! Why? Because if you are not sure that the other guy is unarmed, you will be a little cagey in pulling out your own. Even renowned gunfighters like Hickock, the Earps, Masterson, Holliday preferred not to "grab iron" every damn time. Even a guy on the other side of the law like Hardin would prefer to scare rather than shoot!

Unfortunately, this kind of proof is what the modern day lawmakers pull the curtains on!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley