Nice write up in mens health- Why Men Get a Bang Out of Guns

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Nice write up in mens health- Why Men Get a Bang Out of Guns

Post by sa_ali » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:35 am

http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/men ... ngGuns-hed
You might not suspect it if you see me flat footing down the sidewalk in my rumpled duds, but I am legally authorized to carry concealed upon my person a handgun, a stun gun, a billy club, and various knives.

If you're looking for an NRA sticker on my truck window, you won't find one.

If you're looking for my underground bunker, you won't find one.

If you're looking for my stockpile of ammo and weapons, you won't find one—at least not one that will last beyond the first wave of zombies, or several deer-hunting seasons.

And frankly, if you're looking for my concealed weapon, you probably won't find one.

But I have reserved the option.

We can all recite (or screech) the cases for and against gun control. I have nothing to add in either respect, at least nothing that will look punchy on a placard or nifty on a T-shirt. I'm pro-gun the way I'm pro–potato fork. I use both to gather food for the year, with the caveat that if you break into my house, I won't be waiting at the top of the stairs with a potato fork.

Actually, I can't even live up to the braggadocio of what I just wrote, but more on that shortly. After years of political tussling, my home state of Wisconsin now grants properly permitted citizens the right to carry a concealed weapon. Back when the fight was at its fever pitch, I took to the habit of saying that the only thing I found less compelling than the arguments for conceal/carry were the arguments against it. I also said that if the law ever passed, I'd apply for a permit on the simple ground that I might as well avail myself of all options.

But why? What motivates guys like me—who live in a relatively safe area and are neither running scared nor itching for a fight—to even consider traveling armed at all times? In a 2012 study from the University of Texas at Austin, sociologist Angela Stroud, Ph.D., put the question to men who possessed concealed carry permits, and the answers fell into three categories: "(1) to protect their wives and children from violent crime; (2) to compensate for lost physical strength as they age; and (3) to make them feel more secure in places they feel vulnerable."

Regarding reason 2, I'm not the man I used to be, but I was never really Rambo in the first place, so I'm not sure it applies. But the other two reasons have some traction and may be part of the reason why, one evening, I went online and printed my concealed-weapon application. It was a simple form including instructions to supply "proof of training," followed by a long list of acceptable options. First was "hunter education program." Toggling over to the state Department of Natural Resources site, I brought up my file, and there it was: my hunter's safety certificate, completed back in 1977—when I was 13 years old. I slipped a copy into an envelope along with a scan of my driver's license and a check for 50 bucks, walked to the end of the driveway, dropped the packet into the mailbox, and raised the red flag.

Seven days later I opened the mailbox again, and there it was: my license to carry a concealed weapon in Wisconsin.

My father forbade me and my brothers to possess toy guns or to pretend to shoot each other with our fingers. He also raised us in a religious sect that banned movies and television, so we were hardly immersed in the dreaded "culture of violence." And yet whenever I visited friends, we dove straight for the plastic pistols and went full-on O.K. Corral. Even before I took to reading war stories and cowboy books in third grade, I was so desperate to have a toy rifle that I cobbled one together from a yardstick and part of a drawing easel and proudly showed it to a friend on the kindergarten school bus.

I first squeezed the trigger of a real gun sometime around the age of 9 or 10. My father's arms were around me, steadying my aim. According to some experts, his presence then shaped my feelings about firearms now. "That's an emotional connection that is often left out of the conversation," says Stroud. "One thing that stuck out in my interviews was how deeply meaningful guns can become for boys who have these experiences with their fathers. I think a lot of anti-gun people don't really understand gun culture and what it means to grow up in a place where young boys—more than girls—have guns and hunting as a part of a family experience. They have positive associations with using guns and with being out shooting."

Sure enough, I remember how eagerly I would look forward to those times when Dad would cut out of work to set up a line of pop cans on a log for us to "plink." My father was a quiet man who drilled me on safety and had no patience for swagger, but at some level I saw his willingness to take me shooting as a prelude to manhood. "You were learning what it means to be a man, and you still want to advertise that fact," says Frank McAndrew, Ph.D., a psychology professor at Knox College in Illinois who researches human social behavior. "Especially if you grew up in a rural area, guns are part of that image. Just like having a pickup truck or any of the other trappings of manhood. So if you're walking around without a gun, somehow you're not complete. It's kind of like if you were forced to drive a Volkswagen Beetle instead of a pickup truck. It's emasculating."

What McAndrew doesn't know is that I own two pickup trucks.

Also a Volkswagen Jetta.

Maybe I'd better get a bigger gun.

You might not know from all the fear-fueled in-your-face "man card" bluster, but there are legions of us out here who have guns and have always had guns, and we attach to this all the dramatic significance of having silverware. Once when I was standing beside my brother John at his sawmill, our fire department pagers went off and called us to stand by with the county SWAT team. "We have a report of a man holed up in his house with a gun," said the dispatcher. John looked at me quizzically. "Hmmm. . ." he said. "That's me every night!"

Today I own three rifles, one shotgun, and one revolver. This is likely low-average for my geographic peer group and way low for my immediate family, and it leaves me in Ted Nugent's dust along with all the rest of you. I'm hardly a gun nut, not even in the hobbyist sense. I can't rattle off ballistics or model numbers or muzzle velocities. I can break down and reassemble my firearms for cleaning, but if I dismantle trigger mechanisms, springs might start flying.

That said, I do a modest amount of target shooting every year to keep in trim between hunting seasons, and I recently joined the rest of the family in firing my brother-in-law's AR-15 during a get-together. When my brother John and I were young, we would shake up beer cans and then shoot them, reveling in the foamy explosion.

"Men love guns for all kinds of different reasons," says McAndrew. "The mere act of handling and firing a gun is biologically rewarded. We get a testosterone rush. That's pleasant. It's the same as when you win a tennis match, or achieve something at work where you won out in a competition against a guy for a job. Your adrenaline levels go up."

To verify this, McAndrew and his colleagues checked the testosterone levels of 30 male college students before and after the students played with either a gun or a children's game for 15 minutes. The men who'd played with the gun had significantly higher readings. And that, McAndrew says, boils down to one conclusion: "Shooting guns is fun."

But what made it fun to pull the trigger in the first place? Perhaps it began, as so many quirks of human behavior begin, with evolution.

In a 2010 study review, David Puts, Ph.D., a researcher at Penn State, concluded that the manufacture and use of weapons probably helped our knuckle-dragging male ancestors score the best dates and even "monopolize multiple females." Puts cites research postulating that evolving females consciously selected those men who were best equipped to provide protection from rape and to shield offspring from harm, but he doubts many women will be interested in a man simply because he's packing a big pistol. "Happily," says Puts, "times have changed."

Sometimes a gun is just a gun.

We live at the terminus of a dead-end country road. Crime in this area is very low, but I have more than once returned home after midnight to find strange cars parked at the turnaround. When I beamed them with the headlights, they took off. Who knows? Could've been some kids necking and drinking, or could've been someone casing my place.

Even with a few friends in the sheriff's department, I have no guarantee that anyone will be able to arrive in time should I, or my wife and daughters, call for help. So it does not seem all that unreasonable that I keep a 12-gauge shotgun at hand in the bedroom—although that gun is pretty long and was not designed for working in tight spaces.

The one time I ever took up arms against an intruding human was when I was roused from sleep at 3 a.m. by the sound of someone rattling the side door to my garage. I grabbed the shotgun from beside my bed, rolled off the mattress, and quickly made my way to the screen window that overlooks the space between the house and the garage. I got there just in time to catch a glimpse of two figures entering and pulling the door shut behind them.

I could hear every word they said, and in a matter of minutes it became clear to me that these were not top-flight theft ninjas: They were looking to steal gasoline and, lacking flashlights, were searching for the unleaded using their cigarette lighters.

When I'd been entertained long enough, I stood with my shotgun at the ready and hollered, "You boys better HIT THE ROAD!" After some drunken back-and-forth between themselves, the two men departed.

I leaned the shotgun against the wall and went back to bed. In the morning I realized that I had completely forgotten to remove the trigger lock. Basically I was standing there with a 12-gauge baseball bat.

According to his website, Dan Marcon is a corrections officer with a degree in police science who served 5 years in the military and worked for a private security firm. According to me, he is the walking, well-armed personification of the phrase "brick shithouse." We met when I took his Wisconsin/Non-Resident CCW class that—via some baroque interstate "reciprocity" arrangements—will expand my concealed carry rights to as many as 35 states.

I enjoyed the class. Marcon knows his stuff and is an energetic instructor. When I asked him why people enroll, he said, "They want it for protection, because society is going south fast. The violence—the everyday violence in towns that never really had violence, where people weren't locking their doors, like the area where we're from [Marcon and I grew up near each other], now they have to lock their doors. One worry is the influx of people who have no jobs, who are on drugs or under the influence of narcotics, people who find the easy road to take from someone who has." When Marcon really gets going, he'll tell you that Hitler got his start by taking guns away.

That isn't my perception of the current situation, and that isn't my reading of history. But then again, I once listened to a Ph.D. type equate John Ashcroft to Himmler and Goebbels. Then, in the time it took to refresh her wine and cheese, she informed me that I shouldn't fear registering my guns with John Ashcroft's government.

We're all afraid of something. I have no illusions about the violence real guns can do, and the price we pay for their pervasiveness. While working as an EMT, I once cared for two gunshot victims in one day. The first was a police officer who had responded to a domestic complaint and was shot by an assailant. We did everything we could, and then I held his hand as we raced for the hospital. He squeezed my fingers to let me know he could hear me. Just as we turned him over to the surgeons, we were paged back to the scene to pick up the shooter, who had subsequently blown off one side of his own skull. He died in the back of the ambulance. The physician who came out to the ambulance bay to make the call told us the officer had died in surgery.

This single incident hardly qualifies me as a combat-hardened vet, but I carry vivid visions of those wounds in my memory, and even more the sense of irretrievable finality wrought by gunshots. Several years later I was called to provide medical support to a SWAT-style emergency-response team as the men took down an active shooter. I remember the adrenaline surging as I hunkered with two other EMTs in the front of the ambulance waiting for the "go" command. Suddenly a shot rang out. I responded by ducking my head and hollering, "****!"

In short, I ain't looking for a fight.

Transitioning from keeping a trigger-locked shotgun stashed in the closet to carrying a loaded handgun downtown is a big step. And should I really be allowed to carry a firearm at the farmers' market after forgetting to unlock my weapon while accosting burglars? On the other hand, no matter how long the odds, I stubbornly resist the idea of being forced to rely on hope and timing as the only means of self-defense for my family—including in a public setting.

Perhaps the most responsible thing for me to do would be to take more training from Dan Marcon. You wouldn't know it from the bellicose posts on his Facebook page, but in his classes, Marcon stresses the "Nike defense"—no matter what kind of weapon you're packing, whenever safely possible, run away from trouble. Amen to that; unless cornered by circumstance, I much prefer to live like a peaceable fraidy cat.

When it comes to firearms, there's a lot of big-belly bluster going around. This leads me to think of my father, and about how he showed me the perforated pop cans, quietly leading me to understand the deadly responsibility at hand.

I don't know yet if I'm going to carry. But I'm sure not going to advertise the fact on my T-shirt.

In fact, I'd prefer that you wonder.

My one revolver is a Ruger Super Redhawk.44 Magnum with a 7-inch barrel. Bought it during a stretch of trouble with some bears. I can carry it, but I'll be danged if I can conceal it.

Recently my brother John's wife bought him a.357 that he carries holstered at his waist. It's a tidy little hammerless revolver with a laser sight. I decided to price one out.

On a sunny spring afternoon, I went to a local gun shop, a place where you can also get your transmission fixed. The owner, Larry, and I went to high school together. I told him I was writing a piece about guns. With a pistol on his hip he smiled and said quietly, "Well, as long as you get your facts straight."

Larry didn't have the.357 in stock, but I noticed a youth-size.410 shotgun in the rack. No matte black pistol grips, no pink inlays, just a serviceable little firearm. This year my 12-year-old daughter asked me to enroll her in a hunter's safety course. The.410 is a good starter gun with very little kick. And the youth model is much shorter. Not the greatest stopping power, but easier to handle in a confined space.

Say, for instance, the upstairs hallway.

Larry rang it up, and I headed home to the family.

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Nice write up in mens health- Why Men Get a Bang Out of

Post by xl_target » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:29 am

"You were learning what it means to be a man, and you still want to advertise that fact," says Frank McAndrew, Ph.D., a psychology professor at Knox College in Illinois who researches human social behavior. "Especially if you grew up in a rural area, guns are part of that image. Just like having a pickup truck or any of the other trappings of manhood. So if you're walking around without a gun, somehow you're not complete. It's kind of like if you were forced to drive a Volkswagen Beetle instead of a pickup truck. It's emasculating."
"Men love guns for all kinds of different reasons," says McAndrew. "The mere act of handling and firing a gun is biologically rewarded. We get a testosterone rush. That's pleasant. It's the same as when you win a tennis match, or achieve something at work where you won out in a competition against a guy for a job. Your adrenaline levels go up."

To verify this, McAndrew and his colleagues checked the testosterone levels of 30 male college students before and after the students played with either a gun or a children's game for 15 minutes. The men who'd played with the gun had significantly higher readings. And that, McAndrew says, boils down to one conclusion: "Shooting guns is fun."
I've known a few college professors in my time, even studied under some. Some were men of learning, some were men of action who had done just about everything that a man would like to do. One was my Psychology professor who was a soldier who fought in Vietnam. He had jumped out of planes, done underwater demolition work there and "kicked ass and taken names", as they say. Another was the most learned history professor that I have had the privilege of studying under. His outlook on history was the most thought provoking and refreshing that I had encountered at the time. Professors like that care about imparting knowledge to their students and get them to think for themselves but most importantly, they don't inflict their personal opinions and biases on their students.

However, most of them were just average Putz's with an inflated idea of their own worth and their standing in society. Many of them have been in the school system their whole lives and never worked a job outside of it. They have a very limited life experience and their world view is puerile and stunted. Some can even make positive pronouncements about the human condition after testing a mere 30 students.:)

In most of rural America, a gun is a tool. They are there, leaned up against the coat closet by the door or just inside the door of the barn because you never know when you will need it. Marauding foxes bothering the chickens or coyotes prowling around the cow pasture make it necessary. The younger children knew they weren't to touch a firearm without permission and the older children knew how to use them safely. Guns were just there, another tool to be used when needed. None of these men (or women) get an adrenaline rush when they pick up a firearm.

Every time a gun is purchased in the US, you have to go through a NICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System). However, if you buy multiple guns at the same time, you only go through one NICS check. The NICS check system started in 1998 and shows about 172 million checks since then.
Let's look at the NICs check numbers for the last few years.
2010 - 14,409,616
2011 - 16,454,951
2012 - 19,592,303
2013 - 11,445,941 (that's only Jan through Jun 2013)
So, that is almost 62 million guns purchased since 2010. Let me tell you that is just a drop in the bucket compared to what was already in the hands of US citizens before the NICS was started up. Of those, many gun owners have grown up with guns and "the Gun" is not an object that has some sort of mystic appeal to them (as the mainstream media will have you believe). It is just a tool that helps them deal more efficiently with tasks that are encountered in everyday life; whether it is pest control or stocking the freezer with meat.
It is mainly in the bigger cities, where many people don't even know that meat doesn't originate in a supermarket, among people who rely exclusively on the TV for entertainment and knowledge, that this sort of half fearful, half reverential attitude exists towards an inanimate object. Unfortunately, post WW2, since America has gravitated towards urban living, this attitude has become more prevalent. Just as most gun owners know that a gun cannot do anything by itself, these same people don't fear (or ascribe mystical properties to them) their hair dryers and toasters because they are already familiar with them.
Sometimes a gun is just a gun.
You might not know from all the fear-fueled in-your-face "man card" bluster, but there are legions of us out here who have guns and have always had guns, and we attach to this all the dramatic significance of having silverware.
Yup! Not really a big deal.
If carrying a gun make you feel like a "badass", maybe a gun is not for you.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:34 am

I liked both the original posted article from sa_ali and XL's comments to it. I can identify with many of the feelings the writer of the article expressed. I'd like to add this:

I was raised in a divided home, where there were two influences. Many people say that a kid does something because he's following his parent's example, and many people say that a kid does something because he's rebelling against his parent's example.

Let me get it straight: do kids rebel, or do they emulate? So many people make one or the other way a formula, so they can pretend that they know the secret wisdom of the world all along, but sensible people like us know that this is rubbish. Those of us who have raised kids (I'm not talking about someone who knows kids or someone who knows someone who has kids here, I'm talking about someone who has RAISED kids!) know that kids do some of both: they rebel and they emulate. sometimes they do both simultaneously!

In my house, my Mom hated guns with a huge purple passion. There had been a terrible tragedy in her family due to a gun, and she has always hated guns. She also had religious objections, like the author. To this day (she is 93), she will either get all stoked up or go silent when the subject of my gun ownership comes up. My Dad loved guns. He was on his regimental target team before the War, and he loved to shoot. He was very capable and proud of it. But he suppressed this love for the most part, because he wanted to please Mom. When they got married, he gave away the 9 handguns he had brought home from Europe.

So, these amateur psychologists, who speak without the benefit of data or study (other than the banter of the warm stove society in the local hangout) need to answer: I couldn't either love guns or hate guns without rebelling against one parent and emulating the other!

On another point, I also like to hold my guns and operate the actions, just for the sheer pleasure of doing it. I will do it while visiting or watching TV, or enjoy having one right beside me while I read.

I also enjoy running my hands over the solid machined iron of an engine block, or the satiny finish of a gear or other nicely finished part. I enjoy old pocket watches and mechanical wrist watches, because I like the mechanism.

So all this pseudo-Freud mumbo jumbo about fetishes and guns is not something that I buy.

The whole business is something that too many people try to apply the name science to, but science is about gathering facts, analyzing them, and coming to conclusions, not about using whatever facts are handy to support pre-conceived notions and ignoring inconvenient ones.

The first kind of person is one who majors in learning and adding to his knowledge. The second kind is the sort that thinks he knows it all and can therefore learn nothing.

People enjoy all kinds of things and activities for at least as many reasons as there are people. There are some people who enjoy meddling in the affairs of others, and they are the most dangerous of all. In New Mexico, we call such types a "metiche."
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:49 am

Is there any evidence at all that "Men like guns" and "Women don't like guns" as in "Women like dolls and kitchen knives?"

Given access to guns and the pleasure of shooting I find that women take it up as eagerly as men.

As others have said there are many reasons for using a gun - not just killing or self defence. As far as I am concerned I just love hitting things with projectiles. I love the feeling I get when something far away from me reacts, makes a sound or jumps because of something I did here. I get pleasure out of kicking a tin can and equal pleasure out of seeing a ball of paper land accurately in a wastepaper basket. I love slingshots. Heck I even get pleasure out of aiming at a spot where I'm peeing or spitting out toothpaste accurately on the drain opening while I brush my teeth. A gun neatly combines all these pleasures into one compact hobby.

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:32 pm

My mom was totally against the guns, even for the kinds to play. I am a pro-gunner. And my dad stands somewhere in between.

Women tend to take the security issue a lightly when her man/grown up kids around. But crime rate is growing fast pace and the situation the every vicinity deteriorating day by day due to many things- poverty, economic crisis, unemployment. A few pink slipped IT professionals have been caught for chain snatching.

Anyways, especially after the last week's incident- robbers broke into my next door neighbor and long time friend to my mom... my mom has understood the situation and feel more safe with the gun and its operator around.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”