Delhi: Police to train gun owners

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
Biren
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Biren » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:29 am

Hi,

This article apperared on Hindustan Times. The heading is ok... Police to train gun owners.. But look how the HT correspondent has started "To avoid any misuse of weapons, especially at weddings and other social functions, the Delhi Police have started a mandatory training programme for gun licence holders".

Here is the link: Link is : http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-new ... 16868.aspx
Gun owners were unaware of many things.

Faizan Haider, Hindustan Times
New Delhi, February 24, 2013 Email to Author

First Published: 23:20 IST(24/2/2013)
Last Updated: 23:22 IST(24/2/2013)

To avoid any misuse of weapons, especially at weddings and other social functions, the Delhi Police have started a mandatory training programme for gun licence holders.

Licence holders are being trained everything, right from handling guns to cleaning them to the consequences they could face in case of any accidental firing.

“Last week, we conducted a training session for gun licence holders of Greater Kailash, Lajpat Nagar and Amar Colony. They were told how to handle a gun and precautionary measures they can take while going out of the city or even while cleaning the gun. It is a preventive measure and our expert in gun handling told them the dos and don’ts,” said Ajay Chaudhry, additional CP (southeast).

Every police station has records of licence holders living in its jurisdiction. The move comes in the wake of increasing incidents of celebratory and accidental firing.

“The licence-holder must know that his gun should be kept in safe custody, especially away from children and unauthorized persons. Also the weapon should not be handled unnecessarily. One must unload the weapon before handing it over or taking it from anybody,” a senior police officer said.

“While cleaning or unloading, the barrel should always point towards the ground. Also, the owner should never look down into the barrel of a fire arm with its butt on the ground. We will continue such training sessions across the capital,” the officer added.

According to the licensing unit, due to tough norms, the number of licences issued has gone down. Against the 1,109 gun licenses in 2011, the highest in five years, the licensing unit of the Delhi Police issued only 993 arm licences in 2012.

On an average, the Delhi Police receive over 2,000 applications.

“It depends on the need of the applicant. If he/she are dealing with cash transactions, we consider them. Sometimes, people apply randomly just to show that they have a gun. If the reason is not strong, we reject the application,” the officer added.

Its nice that the Delhi Police has woken from the slumber and has started basics. It would be nice if the force opens its range to license holders with some ammo thrown as incentive offcourse on payment basis:)

And offcourse members can help the HT correspondent to see straight..

Cheers
Biren

For Advertising mail webmaster
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Delhi: Police to train gun owners

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:43 am

I deal in cash transactions. I pay the paan wallah in cash for my cigarettes, the veggie seller in cash. Why I even pay cash for airgun pellets! So I get a licence?? Yayyy!!

What dumbos! The lady who was shot last evening (shot by an illegal weapon, 40 m from a cop car) was dealing in cash? Do these cops, roaming around in their laal batti gaadis (i.e. cars with red lights on top) know what it is like to be an ordinary citizen? For a father to wait for his daughter to come back from a night shift???? And so on?

(Rant over! Sorry!)
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:54 am

This is a very positive move on the part of Delhi Police. It would be excellent if NRAI, steps in and shoulders some responsibility. The least they can do is identify qualified shooters/trainers in every city in india (at least where they are present), notify the HM and ask them to appoint such people to conduct regular safety training classes. Wherever there are District level clubs, these too should provide fire arm safety courses. This is a social responsibility and obligation. Many people get clubs registered, but do very little to provide safety courses.
That is why, I truly respect and appreciate the Maharashtra Rifle Association who conduct Safety Courses all year round.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:03 pm

hvj1 wrote:This is a very positive move on the part of Delhi Police. It would be excellent if NRAI, steps in and shoulders some responsibility. The least they can do is identify qualified shooters/trainers in every city in india (at least where they are present), notify the HM and ask them to appoint such people to conduct regular safety training classes. Wherever there are District level clubs, these too should provide fire arm safety courses. This is a social responsibility and obligation. Many people get clubs registered, but do very little to provide safety courses.
That is why, I truly respect and appreciate the Maharashtra Rifle Association who conduct Safety Courses all year round.
:agree:

let us welcome this move to training in safety of firearms, even a little training is worth it.

arms licence etc are different matter and lets us not get out knickers in a twist over this. lets that the DP for the getting up and about to give the training.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:08 pm

A beat constable did show up last week at my house requesting for my uncle (since he is an arms license holder) to meet the SHO. I stay in the same house and I wasn't asked to join in. Maybe they were requesting only handgun owners- not really sure. It was in all probability for this course.

There are courses available online too- here is one on what NOT to do:

At one point he points it right at his heart!! :roll:

[youtube][/youtube]

James_Bond
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by James_Bond » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:29 pm

Huum.
With Regards
CODE NAME BOND, JAMES BOND LICENSE TO RKBA

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:55 am

Isn't it going to need a change in the laws if training is to be made mandatory?
Can the Cops attach this condition on their own?
I welcome the step to add training. Training is extremely important.
Hope that this does not become another arm twisting tool of the Cops to reject/harass the license applicants.

Regards,
Virendra
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:12 pm

hvj1 wrote:This is a very positive move on the part of Delhi Police. It would be excellent if NRAI, steps in and shoulders some responsibility. The least they can do is identify qualified shooters/trainers in every city in india (at least where they are present), notify the HM and ask them to appoint such people to conduct regular safety training classes. Wherever there are District level clubs, these too should provide fire arm safety courses. This is a social responsibility and obligation. Many people get clubs registered, but do very little to provide safety courses.

NRAI...who?