The pursuit of happyness

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
dhruv67
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

The pursuit of happyness

Post by dhruv67 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:25 pm

Hi everyone,

Though i have been a part of this forum, i haven't contributed as much as I would have liked to. Since I have just started my journey to acquire a gun license, i thought i would pen down my experiences, so that it can help some one in the future

Step 1: Joining KSRA - This would be the first logical step as I live in Bangalore. Everyone i spoke to said that the most difficult part in acquiring a license is to convince the cops that you really need a license! You can either show a threat to life or you can say that you are keen to take up shooting as a hobby-The former is more difficult as neither am i a politician nor am i in the real estate business. So, that leaves only the second option- so when cops ask you for proof, you can proudly show the membership(CRT) certificate.

The process of joining KSRA is pretty simple (please not i am not a member yet! I have just submitted the necessary docs and am waiting for the police verification). Take the following docs and reach the SAI (Near NLSIU) around 11. I reached at 12 and my token number was 41, it took around for an hour for my turn to come.
1. 1 photo
2. Proof of employment- i gave a copy of my office id and a letter from my co. stating that I have been working in the co. for so and so years and my address, as per their records is, .....
3. Address proof : I gave my icici bank statement

I met Mr. krishna, who is a thorough gentleman. He will take the docs and then will , very calmly, explain the next steps to you. After he is satisfied with the docs, he will refer you to another person who will give you a letter (Police verification), which we have to submit at the commissioners office on infantry road. They give a membership form as well.

Step 2: Poilce commissioners office
Ask the cops where to deposit the letter- they are very helpful. Don't forget to take a photo copy as they will stamp it and return it as an acknowledgement.

As on 3 Feb, this is till where i have reached :-) From what i understand, a constable will visit my house in the next 2-3 weeks. i am not too sure what he will do, but the KSRA website says that he will come for 'house verification'.

If the police is satisfied, then the KSRA chaps will call and invite you to become a member :-). If they don't call in 4 weeks, then we are supposed to call and inquire.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Am planning to share my experiences right from KSRA to buying a gun!

Regards,
Dhruv

p.s I know most of this info. is available on the KSRA website but thought a first hand account would be helpful.

For Advertising mail webmaster
inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: The pursuit of happyness

Post by inplainsight » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:55 pm

Thanks for sharing and good luck with your quest of a license.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:13 am

kandarp wrote:Thanks for sharing and good luck with your quest of a license.
+1
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:31 am

Thanks for posting.
Please continue to share this journey of yours with us.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:32 am

police inquiry and verification for membership in rifle club?anyhow we didn't have to go through all this.
my best wishes.
regards
dr.jk

dhruv67
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by dhruv67 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Yes, its mandatory for the police to verify the address. Hopefully, they wont repeat the process at the time of issuing the license.

Came across this today, Arms license issue/renewal comes under Sakala services :-)
http://www.ksp.gov.in/home/citizen/services.php?id=1

Regards,
Dhruv

dhruv67
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by dhruv67 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:59 pm

So the police verification is over. Got a call to report to the police station (under whose jurisdiction my residence lies) with my address/ID proof and a recent picture of myself.
There I was asked to write an application to the TI requesting him to give me a clean chit. The body of the application contained the following:
1. My residence address- How long have i lived there....own/rented accommodation...Name and address of 2 neighbors who can vouch for me
2. Where I work...for how long
3. Whether I have any criminal cases against me
4. Why do I need a 'Police verification' - as its mandatory pre requisite to joining KSRA

If the TI is satisfied, he will send a 'all clear' report to KSRA. I am supposed to call them after 7-10 days.

Regards,
Dhruv

dhruv67
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by dhruv67 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:40 pm

part 3 of the story..

Some 10 days after my police verification, I called up the folks at KSRA to enquire whether they have received my police report or not. They replied in the affirmative and asked to come to their office on the prescribed date (KSRA on its website, mentions the dates on which their office is open) with a photo, the duly filled out membership form and 5000 rupees.

I went there..took my token number and waited in the lobby. When my turn came, I handed over the docs to the concerned person and my job was over. I could report for the CRTC class from Sunday itself- I visited their office on Saturday.

Now, coming to CRTC

CRTC comprises of 7 practical classes- there is very little theory/gyan.

The first 2-3 shooting practicals take place in the indoor shooting range (10 m- A/C)...we can borrow a precihole airgun (.177) and 50 pelltes for Rs 60 from the armoury. The range incharge will monitor your progress.

After you/range in-charge feels confident about your abilities, you can move to the .22 range - 25 m and 50 m depending on what you choose.
.22 range is more serious as there are a lot of DO/DONT'S which are very strictly enforced. Each shot is Rs. 25, bullets and the gun (Bruno) is provided by the armoury.

Out of my 7 practicals, 3 were spent with the airgun and 4 with the .22 - Tried my hand at 25 and 50m, twice.

After the 7 classes are over, I was required to fill a form which will be forwarded to the association- after 2 months- they will issue a certificate which states that i have successfully completed my CRTC classes :-). With this certificate, I can apply for an arms license:-)

I shall start a separate thread asking the gurus about which gun should I start my collection with.

Regards,
Dhruv

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi nice information and explanation Dhruv. I have a few question. I am from Bangalore too and i have completed the CRTC in Police CAR Bangalore got the certificate and won 1st place too in the competition. I did all of this when i was in India in last nov-dec 2012. I first went to KSRA but Mr Krishna told me i need to be in Bangalore for 6months minimum before applying for police verification so i was not able to get even the application for KSRA but i did a police verification and did the training in Police CAR Bangalore got the CRTC certificate it was an amazing experience. I would like to know if i can apply for my KSRA membership when i am back with my CRTC certificate and should i do the police verification again and what else do i need to do. Anand CK of KSRA told me to the CRTC in CAR and apply for the KSRA when i come back as i am doing all this for TR. Thank you...

chandrashekhar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by chandrashekhar » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:58 pm

hello dhruv , u think you get the licence under sports quota? .....sorry to say my dear friend i am also a member in KSRA i just completed my CRTC course in April & i met old members of KSRA some of them are from police background ....do you know what is the actual problem in Karnataka .......if you want to get a licence under sports quota you should be a national level shooter other wise you can't get it ,this is what happened with so many old ksra members i heard this from a old ksra member .... :)
Last edited by chandrashekhar on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:13 pm

chandrashekhar wrote:hello dhruv , u think you get the licence under sports quota? .....sorry to say my dear friend i am also a member in KSRA i just completed my CRTC course in April & i met old members of KSRA some of them are from police background ....do you know what is the actual problem in Karnataka .......if you want to get a licence under sports quota you should be a national level shooter other wise you can't get it this is what happened with so many old ksra members i heard this from a old ksra member .... :)
Hello is this true any more clarification on this matter...Thank you...

dhruv67
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by dhruv67 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi Chandra/Suraj,

I don't know what to say...all we can do is wait and watch. Let me check with some people the next time I go there. I will apply for a license, and if it gets rejected, ill fight it out.
Have you applied for a license?

Maybe members from Bangalore can shed more light on this matter?

Regards,
Dhruv

chandrashekhar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by chandrashekhar » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:01 pm

i heard this from a ksra member who is 2 years senior than me in ksra and he is son of a police person , he is also a arm applicant & he was applied for a arms licence under sports quota before 6-8 months,but still it is pending in licencing authority,when he asked about that,he come to know that the above matter from police authorities & from ksra, he told this to me.... :(

chandrashekhar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by chandrashekhar » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:24 pm

dhruv67 wrote:Hi Chandra/Suraj,

I don't know what to say...all we can do is wait and watch. Let me check with some people the next time I go there. I will apply for a license, and if it gets rejected, ill fight it out.
Have you applied for a license?

Maybe members from Bangalore can shed more light on this matter?

Regards,
Dhruv
ha ha ha that's a big joke my dear freind .....ok i will tell... yes i applied for a arms licence under family heirloom to get my father's weapon,he was passed away in may 2012.I cleared my police verification and police inspector recommended to permit me to have weapon........now starts joke ,district SP of bellary rejects my application saying that i don't have any life threat &when i ask him he told me that weapon may belongs to my father but i don't have any right to have his weapon with me without any life threat.Now i am just waiting and thinking that what to do.

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi Dhruv i did not apply for a license because i was on a shot visit but i will be coming back by the end of the year. Then i will apply. Chandrashekhar you can fight it in the court. Well i guess you need show some evidence that you are into sports shooting and have participated in competitions. I did show some documents that i training here and competed here while i was applying for CRTC in Bangalore CAR. Thank you...