Have gun? Save women: Delhi L-G

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Have gun? Save women: Delhi L-G

Post by inplainsight » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:15 am

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/have- ... g/1065060/
Delhi Lieutenant Governor Tejendra Khanna has advised private gun owners to make time daily and use their weapons to prevent crimes against women in the capital.
PS: I don't agree with vigilantism, but would definitely use my weapon to protect another person's life and liberty.

For Advertising mail webmaster
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Have gun? Save women: Delhi L-G

Post by hvj1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:41 pm

I am simply amazed at the comment(s) made by senior bureaucrats and politicians in this country. They suffer from verbal diarrhea.

Mister L.G, what if I were to take my gun and shoot an attempted rapist? The first thing that will happen to me, is they will take away my gun, try me in court for excessive use of force and also pontificate that it is not my job to take the law in my own hands.

Well Mister Lientenant Governor, do you have any idea in the first place, how bloody difficult it is to get hold of a license. Ah! But then I forget, you belong to the Bourgeoisie, so you can afford to do a Marie Antonette.

I dont know how much longer we have to suffer such blithering idiots.
:deadhorse:

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:11 pm

While I appreciate his sentiments, I do think he should also have a word with the police and licensing authorities.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:47 pm

What the LG has said makes sense, provided it is done as "community policing" by taking local police into confidence.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:27 pm

I thought what LG said will be of some support in case we had to use our weapon??but you all seem to think other wise.maybe i am wrong?
regards
dr.jk

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:52 pm

I think he means something on the lines of a neighborhood watch.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:08 pm

hvj1 wrote:I am simply amazed at the comment(s) made by senior bureaucrats and politicians in this country. They suffer from verbal diarrhea.

Mister L.G, what if I were to take my gun and shoot an attempted rapist? The first thing that will happen to me, is they will take away my gun, try me in court for excessive use of force and also pontificate that it is not my job to take the law in my own hands.

Well Mister Lientenant Governor, do you have any idea in the first place, how bloody difficult it is to get hold of a license. Ah! But then I forget, you belong to the Bourgeoisie, so you can afford to do a Marie Antonette.

I dont know how much longer we have to suffer such blithering idiots.
:deadhorse:
:agree: :evil: key sentence which sums it up is highlighted well said hv

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:30 am

Vikram wrote:While I appreciate his sentiments, I do think he should also have a word with the police and licensing authorities.

Best-
Vikram

He is the Administrative Head of the Delhi Police ! It's HIS ball game...

:D

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:35 am

The problem with this statement, if we take it literally, is that he is encouraging untrained and emotionally charged individuals to go out and look for 'trouble'. It would be different if 'trouble' found these individuals and they used their licensed weapon to defuse it.

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:40 pm

I saw this recording on a news channel. IMO it was a loosely put forward idea with poor articulation- suprising since I thought the LG was a relatively good orator. I good message lost in translation.

Regards,
SS

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:50 pm

I might be wrong but if my memory serves me right then the Lt Gov of Delhi has no real administrative power. It is just a ceremonial position because the chief minister of Delhi calls the shots. The Lt Gov can make any statement without any obligation to fulfill or followup. I request Delhi-based members to check if I am right.

Regards

TC

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:54 pm

TC wrote:I might be wrong but if my memory serves me right then the Lt Gov of Delhi has no real administrative power. It is just a ceremonial position because the chief minister of Delhi calls the shots. The Lt Gov can make any statement without any obligation to fulfill or followup. I request Delhi-based members to check if I am right.

Regards

TC
I thought Delhi Police reports to the MHA, with the CM having nothing to do with their functioning.

indiaone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by indiaone » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:14 pm

The statement made by the LG does not call for violating any law.Section 96 to Section 106 of the IPC gives ample power to the Citizen having a licensed firearm to use the same under certain circumstances.When there is a reasonable apprehension that a lady is likely to be raped, a Citizen is permitted to use force including firing at the culprit which may result in fetal injury. However, under the present system the litigation may be a long one as lawyer for the culprit will put up various types of arguments in defence of the culprit.
Firstly, a policy decison needs to be taken by the Government and a detailed procedure for using firearms in defending the honour of women needs to be laid down. Secondly, the attitude of the police has to change, otherwise the defender is likely to face the music, provided he does not have some influencial contacts in the administration.
Thirdy, the right of defence available to the Citizen needs to be publicised through the electronic and print media.
Fourthly, gun licence should be given more freely to responsible citizens, particularly women applicants.They should be exempted from depositing the arms in police stations before every election.With the proliferation of illegal arms amongst the criminal elements, a time has come to have a review of the existing arms licence regulations and procedures.
Lastly, arrangements should be made to make available .22 and .25 pistols at reasonable price .The production of IOF .32 needs to be increased, if we are really serious on this issue.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 pm

In fact it is a bit of a mish mash in Delhi as far as administration goes... many important departments are under the purview of the LG in Delhi (and by extension under direct control of the Govt. of India/ Central Government), including Home (which amongst other things means Delhi Police), Delhi Development Authority, etc. Some Departments fall under the now regionally divided Municipal Corporations + NDMC and finally the rest are under the State Government - read chief minister. Quite convoluted and difficult to comprehend, even for Delhi residents! :P

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:49 pm

It's amazing how many crimes could be prevented if citizens could stand up for each other without fearing jail.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.