Delhi women gun for licences; (article in TOI)

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Delhi women gun for licences; (article in TOI)

Post by inplainsight » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:01 am

An article about the increase in gun license applications from women in Delhi

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 836320.cms

It's disheartening to read the comments for this article. They make you realize how guns are perceived outside this forum.

Eg.
I understand that women no longer feel safe and hence applying for gun for safety reason, but still if panicked or accidently there are chances of they killing someone unintentionally. Secondly we don't want people carrying guns in india and don't want the country to go the way USA has become. Instead of gum women/girls can go for PEPPER SPRAY and other sorts of things for self defense. AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL BE ALERT OF WAT U R DOING AND WHERE U R GOING AND UR SURROUNDING.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Delhi women gun for licences; (article in TOI)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:36 am

Can the Mods please move it to RKBA section
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:05 pm

Read this today in Ahmedabad edition as well.

Funny to what an extent the agencies will go to deny legitimate rights of citizens. The assertion by the police that "We had to patiently tell them that one needs to have a clear danger to one's life to be given a licence" seems to suggest one has to be actually in the process of being grievously assaulted before one needs to apply.

What do they mean by this "clear danger"? Should the applicant know the name of his would be assailant, his address, the mode, time and place of assault and all such sundry details and should he mention all these in his applicant for the Agencies to believe there is a "clear danger".

Should this policy be extended to our Policemen and should they also need to establish such a "clear danger" before they are issued service arms?

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:02 pm

pepper spray is not that effective as one may believe, tasty on pee soup.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:51 pm

I wonder how many of these people who tell us to carry pepper spray or keychains , have actually been in a fight? Do they know anything about real life assaults at all? What if the assailant wears a helmet? You will give him a spicy visor!! Nothing else.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:34 pm

NAGRI was in the news too !!

20% increase in self-defence classes in city
A member of the National Association for Gun Rights India claimed women were discriminated against. "Men are issued more gun licences than women in Delhi even if the later have genuine reasons to apply for them," said a member. "The fact that even parents are ready to hand over weapons to their daughters shows they are living in fear. There is a 20% increase in self-defence courses across the city," added the source.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:48 pm

I posted several comments but they dont show. Any ideas?
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:31 pm

Thanks for the link.

One heartening aspect on that page is that there are many readers who opine in favour of self-defence and legal gun ownership. That is a good thing.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:44 pm

Olly wrote:NAGRI was in the news too !!.
Yeah NAGRI and IFG clearly have much better visibility in the media now. They're quoted/named in many articles, whatever the tilt of the article may be.
Vikram wrote:One heartening aspect on that page is that there are many readers who opine in favour of self-defence and legal gun ownership. That is a good thing.
When I looked at the comments, they were overwhelmingly anti-gun or say too damn ignorant and mis-generalizing. :(
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:57 pm

Virendra S Rathore wrote:When I looked at the comments, they were overwhelmingly anti-gun or say too damn ignorant and mis-generalizing. :(
Of course,you are right. But, at least there are a good many of those in favour instead of none. :cheers:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:57 pm

BowMan wrote:
What do they mean by this "clear danger"? Should the applicant know the name of his would be assailant, his address, the mode, time and place of assault and all such sundry details and should he mention all these in his applicant for the Agencies to believe there is a "clear danger".

It's simple .

First the people need of a License should approach the nearest criminal den and get a "Attack Timetable " from them .

When people will be submitting a Arms License Application , amongst other things , they should also attach the "Attack TimeTable " which they got from the criminal .

I think , this will leverage the chances of getting a Arms License .
It's okay , if you disagree with me .
I can't force you to be right .

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:54 pm

I spammed the page by vomiting my comments there .. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Virendra S Rathore

only32owner
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by only32owner » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:47 pm

FN-Five-Seven wrote:
BowMan wrote:

It's simple .

First the people need of a License should approach the nearest criminal den and get a "Attack Timetable " from them .

When people will be submitting a Arms License Application , amongst other things , they should also attach the "Attack TimeTable " which they got from the criminal .

I think , this will leverage the chances of getting a Arms License .

Very well said, on the "Attack Timetable "
and I would like to go to RAW, NIA, ATS to name a few to know when next batch of kasabs are coming (only if they have any idea ) so that I can mention in my application. :mrgreen:

Regards.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:09 am

Very well said, on the "Attack Timetable "
and I would like to go to RAW, NIA, ATS to name a few to know when next batch of kasabs are coming (only if they have any idea ) so that I can mention in my application.
This won't help you or me getting a license, it'll only help fill the hafta fund of our beloved coppers!

On a slightly more serious note, we can comment on the website, what about the larger number of people who read the hard copy version (including me)? How does one give them the facts? I am sure a letter to the editor giving pro-gun views (that too to ToI) won't be published!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Oh I know very well the homework TOI reporters do before opening their mouth and doing blunders.
Have a look at it here - http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/poli ... post606747
A quote giving the sample of their research is :
..."And most often,its licensed weapons that are misused"....
Virendra S Rathore