HT Kolkata raises the issue of arming women

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: HT Kolkata raises the issue of arming women

Post by Mark » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:46 am

Good article, and it should be passed around among female relatives and acquaintances.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

For Advertising mail webmaster
captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:50 am

@ TC we need charmers like Abhijeet to make women embrace RKBA..lol
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

gladiatorgarg
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by gladiatorgarg » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:15 pm

Abhijeet the poster man of RKBA...great write up TC daa :cheers:
Last edited by gladiatorgarg on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiatorgarg
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by gladiatorgarg » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:38 pm

TC daa a humble request if you can kindly do a report on people to police ratio and employment of police for personal sec by politicians in your daily please....its a fact that poor/bad policing also depends on the strength of actual police force on ground...i sincerely hope that you will oblige

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:04 pm

gladiatorgarg wrote:TC daa a humble request if you can kindly do a report on people to police ratio and employment of police for personal sec by politicians in your daily please....its a fact that poor/bad policing also depends on the strength of actual police force on ground...i sincerely hope that you will oblige
Thanks Major. A number of stories have been done on those lines and in fact it is one of the raging issues in the new regime. But I will still try to churn out something.

Cheers

Tc

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:07 am

> Why not School Girls be given Basic Martial Arts training as part of their regular PT sessions in their schools?
> I have seen girls doing the 'Lazeem' exercises in schools - why not teach them to use "Nan Chaku" - it looks innocuous - easy to carry - can be effective to protect them & unlike knives will not cause life threatening injuries.
> Ofcourse knives have a far more 'scaring impact' than a Nan Chaku - but then something is better than nothing.
TC
Great job!
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:15 pm

brihacharan wrote:> Why not School Girls be given Basic Martial Arts training as part of their regular PT sessions in their schools?
> I have seen girls doing the 'Lazeem' exercises in schools - why not teach them to use "Nan Chaku" - it looks innocuous - easy to carry - can be effective to protect them & unlike knives will not cause life threatening injuries.
> Ofcourse knives have a far more 'scaring impact' than a Nan Chaku - but then something is better than nothing.
TC
Great job!
Briha
Thanks Brihaji,
A number of schools in Kolkata and the district towns in Bengal have introduced karate classes... (in fact most of them did it years ago, my school, South Point, for example) as part of physical training. And after the Delhi incident the Trinamool government is encouraging schools to introduce karate. I am not sure whether any school is imparting lessons in Nan Chaku.
Regards
TC

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:25 pm

Briha Ji, nan chucks require lots of practice.You see people hitting their heads and groin's with them all over youtube.No, i would vote Krav or systema as more useful.Karate is just punching air....
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Skyman wrote:Briha Ji, nan chucks require lots of practice.You see people hitting their heads and groin's with them all over youtube.No, i would vote Krav or systema as more useful.Karate is just punching air....
My dear Skyman,
> Everything requires practice - Don't go by U Tube & My Tube as these are commercial promos.
> Karate is "NOT JUST PUNCHING AIR" - maybe you have seen people practicing it - Let me assure you beyond any reasonable doubt that "If a well aimed kick / punch or blow were to land on the reciepient's body it will incapacitate him either temporarily or permanentally depending on the force of the blow delivered.
> Why I mentioned Nan Chaku was that it gives the carrier the confidence of carrying a "weapon" - it also distances the opponent a bit besides it's a simple clean & neat looking instrument. It would also appeal to a Woman / Girl.
> Let me also tell you that in matters such as these - No politician / Babu / Local law & order personnel should be consulted - as these self appointed custodians of safety & morality are either incapable of deciding or just don't attach any importance to safety of our women folk.
> Parents & Community members should shoulder this responsibility & hire professionals to impart training to their women.
BTW - there was a report in an afternoon newspaper in Mumbai - A slightly built girl wearing jeans & tee-shirt & sporting a short haircut was assaulted by a pair of goons on a sky-walk. To their utter surprise the girl swung into action - a well aimed kick in the mid region of the closest assailant immobilized him who doubled himself sreaming with pain while the second assailant caught a straight left his jaw and went down on his knees. While a few onlookers were shocked to witness the event a few managed to clap in appreciation of the brave girl, who walked way calmly.
> I very very strongly feel that this issue of empowering our women folk to protect themselves is NOT A MATTER TO BE DISCUSSED & DEBATED" but to be "ACTIONED FORTWITH".
Briha

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:51 pm

I very very strongly feel that this issue of empowering our women folk to protect themselves is NOT A MATTER TO BE DISCUSSED & DEBATED" but to be "ACTIONED FORTWITH".
Hear! Hear!

Self Defense starts at home. It should be every parent's responsibility to empower their children with the tools to defend themselves both physically and mentally.
One cannot depend on others to protect oneself. You cannot depend on the police to be everywhere, especially in India where the number of policemen as a percentage of the population is so low.
Teach your children to be self sufficient. Give them the opportunity and the tools to defend themselves, whether it is martial arts training or something else. More important than that is to give them the attitude and the mindset to avail themselves of those opportunities. Too many parents shelter their children from the harsh realities of life when they should be making them aware of what is out there and how to protect themselves from it.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:25 am

xl_target wrote:
I very very strongly feel that this issue of empowering our women folk to protect themselves is NOT A MATTER TO BE DISCUSSED & DEBATED" but to be "ACTIONED FORTWITH".
Hear! Hear!

Self Defense starts at home. It should be every parent's responsibility to empower their children with the tools to defend themselves both physically and mentally.
One cannot depend on others to protect oneself. You cannot depend on the police to be everywhere, especially in India where the number of policemen as a percentage of the population is so low.
Teach your children to be self sufficient. Give them the opportunity and the tools to defend themselves, whether it is martial arts training or something else. More important than that is to give them the attitude and the mindset to avail themselves of those opportunities. Too many parents shelter their children from the harsh realities of life when they should be making them aware of what is out there and how to protect themselves from it.
xl_target,
> Tks for the appreciation :D
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Brihaji and XL Target

I hope both of you will be quite happy to know that the lady has started taking serious interest in shooting, having restricted her inquisitiveness about my guns to appreciation and photography all these years :D
Two weeks ago I took her to my cousin's place where guns are part of life. From a choice of five weapons offered to her she picked up my cousin's .22 Browning semi auto and my Hi Standard and fired 20 rounds - the first time in her life. "I loved it. When do I shoot again?" she said looking at the other weapons, a .32 Smith and Wesson revolver, a Beretta Model 95BB pistol and a 12 bore shotgun. It was getting dark so we decided to call it a day. Here are some pics...

Cheers

TC

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi TC,
> Great pics my friend :D
> Hats off to you for convincing the 'Merits' of knowing how to shoot to your wife :lol:
> Besides the hold of the weapons what caught my eye was the look of determination / seriousness on her face :(
> Lest someone misunderstand that she was shooting within the confines of your ancestral home - a Caption or foreword saying that these were only posed for the photo-shoot - will set many an inquisitive mind at REST :lol:
> What a way to GO....TC!
Briha

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:37 pm

You got lucky marrying her!
:P
Great to see her enjoying shooting.
With you to teach her safe gun use( like no fingers on triggers ;) ) and to initiate her, i am sure she will love the sport!
To Excellence through Diligence.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:38 pm

TC Da
I particularly like the steely look in her eyes. Great going TC, also a very shrewd move, the next time she asks you to buy her gold jewellry, you can buy her a gun instead. This way both of you will be happy :lol:
Best Regards