HT Kolkata raises the issue of arming women

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: HT Kolkata raises the issue of arming women

Post by TC » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:35 pm

dev wrote:Jeez TC I don't envy you ;-) Hope you have all important days marked in. ;0
Dev don't envy me... please don't :lol: After that day I have marked all day's in my phone reminder.. including birthday of neighbour's cat :lol:

Thanks buddy
TC

For Advertising mail webmaster
FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:05 pm

It's great to see / know that TCda is training Boudi the usage of firearms .
Given the times and environment we are living in , it's very necessary that the female members of our family be given the tools and training to defend themselves .

Reading this thread reminded me of a sentence I read somewhere else

" God made man & woman . Samuel Colt made them equal "

Only if people like TCda and alike were in the Home Ministry , gun ownership experience for Indians would have been totally different . Law abiding people wouldn't have to live on the mercy of criminals and babus

Hats off to you TCda

Regards

F-n-FiveSeven
It's okay , if you disagree with me .
I can't force you to be right .

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:56 pm

It was not my intention to create any toofan but I have to admit that my wife and I are humbled by the encouragement and response from all members. These photos and videos were taken a month ago but all this while I was in two minds as to whether I should post these on the forum. My wife is absolutely new to this discipline and has to learn a lot about guns, ammo, laws etc etc before she can actually take part in any discussion. I think I should give her the time and in the meanwhile teach her all that I know... if not all at least as much as she wants to learn. But rest assured she is a very keen and quick learner.
TC,
A big thumbs up to you and your wife. She looks like a determined lady who can do pretty much anything she sets her mind to.
Don't push her, let her set the pace. Teach her all that you know but don't force her. From the determination on her face, I don't think you could anyway :).
You are a lucky man in that your wife shares the same interests that you do.

I would also like to express my thanks for all you do and have done for our common interest. I also want you to know that your efforts are appreciated by all of us.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

swajan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

HT Kolkata raises the issue of arming women

Post by swajan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:14 pm

TC well done..thanks for putting your sleepless night for HT and for bringing the issue.
Well, every one knows the quote of Gokhel -What Bengal thinks today India thinks tomorrow. I am sure your article proves that.
People can see the city of joy is no longer a city of joy and all Calcuttans or Kolkatans ? are not only sad but slowly going into grip of fear and depression.

In civilized society, the requirement of a gun for self defense is nothing but sheer shame, however, when requirement arises it makes a big question mark to administration and a conclusive proof of loss of civic sense and proliferation of anti socials among us.

On Calcutta roads one an observe bunch of police Sargents re-enforced with constables and home guards at every road crossing. Why ? simply because people violate traffic rules ...good, but who pays salary to these police personnel ? .......WE the tax payers.

People also forgotten their democratic rights , most people get shivered upon heard of name "Gun", forget they will apply for a gun license.

In post independence era slowly and systematically people of India were unarmed, by
(1) Banning / imposing restrictions on importing of guns & ammunition
(2) Stopping all mfg of gun except one by Govt i.e. IOF
(3) Denying / rejecting / No reply on bonafidie arms applications
(4) Keeping Arms license department out of ambit of RTI , so that no news, of what is the fate of application etc

I do not understand if status of passport application may be available to the applicant online, why not license for gun application ?
Before one apply for a gun, it is for every one's safety that he / she must know the rules and know how to handle a weapon.
More schools are required, at least to make acquittance with a gun, which is also non existent to my mind in India.

I am sure, a great article will emerge from the pen of TC in this regard in HT and we can all read it with a smoky tea in the morning some day. :D

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:28 pm

FN-Five-Seven wrote:It's great to see / know that TCda is training Boudi the usage of firearms .
Given the times and environment we are living in , it's very necessary that the female members of our family be given the tools and training to defend themselves .

Reading this thread reminded me of a sentence I read somewhere else

" God made man & woman . Samuel Colt made them equal "

Only if people like TCda and alike were in the Home Ministry , gun ownership experience for Indians would have been totally different . Law abiding people wouldn't have to live on the mercy of criminals and babus

Hats off to you TCda

Regards

F-n-FiveSeven
Thank you so much FN Five Seven,
In My home at least it is Samuel Colt who makes man and woman equal :D
I don't know if I ever wanted to be in the Home Ministry but if I were there I would have surely done my best to do away with all the red tape and babudom.
Cheers
TC

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:35 pm

xl_target wrote:
It was not my intention to create any toofan but I have to admit that my wife and I are humbled by the encouragement and response from all members. These photos and videos were taken a month ago but all this while I was in two minds as to whether I should post these on the forum. My wife is absolutely new to this discipline and has to learn a lot about guns, ammo, laws etc etc before she can actually take part in any discussion. I think I should give her the time and in the meanwhile teach her all that I know... if not all at least as much as she wants to learn. But rest assured she is a very keen and quick learner.
TC,
A big thumbs up to you and your wife. She looks like a determined lady who can do pretty much anything she sets her mind to.
Don't push her, let her set the pace. Teach her all that you know but don't force her. From the determination on her face, I don't think you could anyway :).
You are a lucky man in that your wife shares the same interests that you do.

I would also like to express my thanks for all you do and have done for our common interest. I also want you to know that your efforts are appreciated by all of us.
Thank you so much XL Target,
We are both humbled once again. The lady sends her regards to you and says thanks for having read her mind so correctly and from so far.
Yes, she is the one who decides what she wants to do and that goes with guns as well.
Thanks for the kind words of appreciation XL. I will try to do my best for our common goal... always

Regards
TC

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:38 pm

I am sure, a great article will emerge from the pen of TC in this regard in HT and we can all read it with a smoky tea in the morning some day. :D
Thank you Swajanda,
I try to do the best I can within the confines of my domain but I never stop. Planning an article or two on those lines. Very soon you can enjoy your cuppa with a smile.

Regards
TC

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Next time perhaps you would get her ear and eye protection and take her to a safer shooting environment.She seems to be shooting in an enclosed space.That would accentuate the sound.Hence emphasizing the need for ear protection.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:23 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:Next time perhaps you would get her ear and eye protection and take her to a safer shooting environment.She seems to be shooting in an enclosed space.That would accentuate the sound.Hence emphasizing the need for ear protection.
> Hi winnie-the-pooh,

> Points well taken - in fact I had brought this to TC's attention soon after he posted the pics....
> His response was prompt which informed that "Adequete Safety Precautions" have been incorporated in his ancesteral house where the pics were taken (pl. refer TC's post on this)
> Re- wearing ear protection may not have been considered because the ammo fired was 22 cal whose report is all that loud.
> Lastly as a journalist & multiple arms licence holder & collector I presume that he would not transcend any Safety Rules & use his judgement & sanity to confine himself to all norms / rules / regulations concerning firearms :D
Briha

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:27 am

Hearing is highly over rated and as far as eyes are concerned,god gave us two did he not? Ones a spare.I highly recommend shooting inside the house to everybody.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:21 am

Hey TC da
I watched the video of her shooting live today, I particularly liked the way she turns around and gives you that smile and look of accomplishment. Happy for you both! :D
Oh! And by the way, what a beautiful ancestral house, harking back to the good old British days and well heeled families. I am quite sure there are plenty of memories, seeping through every wall.

Best Regards

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:29 am

Teenager shot dead in Nagpur for fighting eve teasing.
How will you protect your sister and mother ??
Someone ask this question at IFG page FB (I'm in office right now :( )
http://zeenews.india.com/news/maharasht ... 42930.html

Nagpur: In a shocking incident, a 23-year-old boy was shot dead by two unidentified persons Wednesday evening, when he tried to stop them from misbehaving with his female friend.

Reports suggest that two persons approached the girl, when the victim, Roshan Samrit had gone to a nearby shop.
They repeatedly tried to misbehave with her and asked for her phone number.
On being harassed she called Samrit for help. When he tried to confront the two persons, he was shot by one of them in point blank range.

Roshan Samrit was admitted to a nearby hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
The police are yet to identify the culprits.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Virendra
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:10 am

When I have kids, I'm going to see that they train thoroughly right from the early days, even if they hate me for it.
I'd prefer being called the security obsessed and paranoid father, rather than a repenting father some day.
Screw everything else, to get a good life you ought to have a life first. That should be the priority and it doesn't mean Guns only.
It covers a vast plethora of physical fitness, basic street fight skills, first aid training and emergency response readiness etc.
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:12 am

hvj1 wrote:Hey TC da
I watched the video of her shooting live today, I particularly liked the way she turns around and gives you that smile and look of accomplishment. Happy for you both! :D
Oh! And by the way, what a beautiful ancestral house, harking back to the good old British days and well heeled families. I am quite sure there are plenty of memories, seeping through every wall.
Best Regards
I particularly liked the way she turns around and gives you that smile and look of accomplishment.
Oh! And by the way, what a beautiful ancestral house. I am quite sure there are plenty of memories, seeping through every wall.
:agree:

Reminded me of my own ancestral home in Kerala - Having a 25mtrs range in the backyard was a blessing :D
TC you're both blessed & lucky :D
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:21 pm

Hvji, Brihaji,
Such wonderful words coming from two senior mentors can only shower blessings and inspiration on us. This house is about 250 years old and used to be a palace, divided in three parts, each part separated by gigantic and open (no roof) courtyards each of these measuring about 50 metre by 30 metre and each covered on four sides by two storied brick structure supported by huge round pillars. The last and innermost part of the palace was exclusively made for women. In Bengal we call this andarmahal or ranimahal. What you have seen in the video is only a portion of the outer courtyard and the first floor corridors where there are four huge rooms in the outer fringes once meant for quests and staff etc. The living rooms/bedrooms etc of this part are about 30 metres to the left of the spot where my wife is seen standing. The entire property is however empty and only my cousin lives there.
For decades these outer courtyards have been used as firing ranges. With such vast open spaces and open sky sound is never a problem. As I mentioned earlier, there are about a dozen bullet traps of various sizes made of 1/2 and 3/4 inch industrial steel. And there are safe backstops made by those great men who loved and patronized shooting/ hunting. This was my learning ground :D

Regards
TC

PS You will probably be surprised to know that North Calcutta Rifle Club, which has produced so many national and international award winners, Joydeep Karmakar and Soma Dutta among others, is located in the courtyards of Belgachhia Villa, a palace that once belonged to Prince Dwarkanath Thakur, grandfather of Rabindranath Thakur (till the British turned his surname of Tagore)

The Central Kolkata Rifle Club, which closed down years ago, was also located in the courtyards of a palace.

The first firing range of South Calcutta Rifle Club, the first official shooting club in the country, was donated by the Maharaja Of Burdwan (the land where I was born)

In Kolkata, shooting has always been associated with palaces.. :D
Last edited by TC on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.