HT Kolkata raises the issue of arming women

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: HT Kolkata raises the issue of arming women

Post by TC » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Virendra S Rathore wrote:When I have kids, I'm going to see that they train thoroughly right from the early days, even if they hate me for it.
I'd prefer being called the security obsessed and paranoid father, rather than a repenting father some day.
Screw everything else, to get a good life you ought to have a life first. That should be the priority and it doesn't mean Guns only.
It covers a vast plethora of physical fitness, basic street fight skills, first aid training and emergency response readiness etc.
Virendra,
This is precisely what we on this forum keep saying in different ways everyday. Can understand how you feel.

Thanks
TC

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:51 pm

[quote="TC"]
Hvji, Brihaji,
Such wonderful words coming from two senior mentors can only shower blessings and inspiration on us. This house is about 250 years old and used to be a palace, divided in three parts, each part separated by gigantic and open (no roof) courtyards each of these measuring about 50 metre by 30 metre and each covered on four sides by two storied brick structure supported by huge round pillars.
For decades these outer courtyards have been used as firing ranges. With such vast open spaces and open sky sound is never a problem. As I mentioned earlier, there are about a dozen bullet traps of various sizes made of 1/2 and 3/4 inch industrial steel. And there are safe backstops made by those great men who loved and patronized shooting/ hunting. This was my learning ground :D

> Lucky are those whose ancestors laid the foundations of a legacy to be perpetuated especially through a code of conduct that emphasized on discipline, culture and regard & respect for the community.
> I wonder if the Kolkata Govt. has cared to list your ancestral home as a "Heritage Property" :D
> Carry on the legacy regardless :D
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Thanks for the kind words Brihaji,
The owner of this wonderful property, my maternal uncle, died about a decade ago, three years after my father. He was my Dronacharya and my father, my Kripacharya. And, they were great gun and food buddies :D
There are many such properties in Calcutta even today. The government attaches heritage tag only to those that are part of Bengal's political or cultural history,.
This is just a house that belonged to the educated, landed gentry.

Regards
TC

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:09 pm

TC, when will see MRS.TC posting here? You have been lazy and not got her to join. :? The best way to spread our message is to let women do the talking! :lol:
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Skyman,
The lady in question never showed interest in guns or shooting. The day she did I showed her how to handle a pistol, take aim and fire. If she ever shows interest in IFG she can join on her own. Educated adults take their own decisions. But having known her, I am sure she would never post her comment on any subject that she knows very little of. Since it takes a long time to know very little about guns (or anything for that matter) my advice to you would be : "Don't wait" :D
In the meantime I am sure you will find other means to spread our message :lol:

TC

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:08 pm

Virendra S Rathore wrote:When I have kids, I'm going to see that they train thoroughly right from the early days, even if they hate me for it.
I'd prefer being called the security obsessed and paranoid father, rather than a repenting father some day.
Screw everything else, to get a good life you ought to have a life first. That should be the priority and it doesn't mean Guns only.
It covers a vast plethora of physical fitness, basic street fight skills, first aid training and emergency response readiness etc.
Yes, Virendra, That is the correct attitude towards what to teach your kids and those around you.
Most people don't have a clue(or don't want to know) what goes on around them. Being aware of your surroundings can be half the battle.
The best way to avoid trouble is not to be there when the trouble occurs. If you can see trouble starting somewhere and leave before anything happens, you've just taken yourself out of a bad situation.
If you can see that you're at a questionable place with irresponsible people, it's OK to leave BEFORE a situation develops. Awareness, awareness, awareness: one can't stress that enough.

One thing to teach them is where not to be and who not to hang around.
There is a saying we have here: "Go stupid places with stupid people; win stupid prizes" or basically "Avoid stupid people in stupid places doing stupid things".
Being well versed in the martial arts can build confidence in a practitioner. Confidence in themselves is what many children, teens and even some adults, lack. You need confidence in yourself to avoid peer pressure to hang with the wrong crowd or to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Teenagers especially will go against their survival instincts when exposed to peer pressure. They lack the maturity and the experience to laugh and walk away.

It's all very well being prepared to use martial arts, weapons, etc, but if you do your job right, they might never have to be in a situation where they would be required to use any of those things. However, sometimes, no matter what you do, you get caught up in a situation and that is where some training can mean the difference between life and death. You're absolutely correct that one don't necessarily need a gun, anything can be used as a weapon; a cricket bat, a tree branch, the lid on the top of the toilet tank, etc. (none of which need to be reloaded :)). However, if you don't see the trouble coming till someone hits you in the head from behind, then all your proficiency in martial arts, with weapons, etc was a total waste of time.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:01 am

The first firing range of South Calcutta Rifle Club, the first official shooting club in the country, was donated by the Maharaja Of Burdwan (the land where I was born)
TCda,

I hail from Burdwan district too :D and that is also the land where I was born :D .

best regards
tirpassion

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:01 pm

Yes, Virendra, That is the correct attitude towards what to teach your kids and those around you.
Most people don't have a clue(or don't want to know) what goes on around them. Being aware of your surroundings can be half the battle.
The best way to avoid trouble is not to be there when the trouble occurs. If you can see trouble starting somewhere and leave before anything happens, you've just taken yourself out of a bad situation.
If you can see that you're at a questionable place with irresponsible people, it's OK to leave BEFORE a situation develops. Awareness, awareness, awareness: one can't stress that enough.

One thing to teach them is where not to be and who not to hang around.
There is a saying we have here: "Go stupid places with stupid people; win stupid prizes" or basically "Avoid stupid people in stupid places doing stupid things".
Being well versed in the martial arts can build confidence in a practitioner. Confidence in themselves is what many children, teens and even some adults, lack. You need confidence in yourself to avoid peer pressure to hang with the wrong crowd or to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Teenagers especially will go against their survival instincts when exposed to peer pressure. They lack the maturity and the experience to laugh and walk away.

It's all very well being prepared to use martial arts, weapons, etc, but if you do your job right, they might never have to be in a situation where they would be required to use any of those things. However, sometimes, no matter what you do, you get caught up in a situation and that is where some training can mean the difference between life and death. You're absolutely correct that one don't necessarily need a gun, anything can be used as a weapon; a cricket bat, a tree branch, the lid on the top of the toilet tank, etc. (none of which need to be reloaded :)). However, if you don't see the trouble coming till someone hits you in the head from behind, then all your proficiency in martial arts, with weapons, etc was a total waste of time.
XL very very wise words.... what I have followed all these years

Cheers
TC

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:06 pm

tirpassion wrote:
The first firing range of South Calcutta Rifle Club, the first official shooting club in the country, was donated by the Maharaja Of Burdwan (the land where I was born)
TCda,

I hail from Burdwan district too :D and that is also the land where I was born :D .

best regards
tirpassion
Oh my God :D Seems the next meeting is going to be sponsored by Burdwaniser :lol: :lol:

TC