Govt. policies encouraging black market guns

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Govt. policies encouraging black market guns

Post by mundaire » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:58 am

A balanced report which exposes the Indian Government's gun policies for what they are - a whitewash! Follow the link to view the video, a brief transcript is quoted below:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/11/27 ... -in-india/
Illegal weapons trade flourishes in India

India is fast becoming a major market for illicit weapons. Insurgences, bandit gangs and street crimes are fuelling the demand for firearms.

Even the country’s tough gun ownership laws are unable to contain the spread of these illegal weapons. 85% of the 40 million guns in India are believed to be unregistered. They are responsible for over 90% of the firearm related murders.

In January 2010 The Supreme Court of India passed a landmark judgment upholding every Indian citizen's right of self defence.

Rahoul Rai, President of the National Association for Gun Rights has been apprising the government on the need for relaxation of rules for licensed gun owners who face grave danger.

Should they face problems they are likely to seek unlicensed ones.

Ever since the Mumbai terror attacks in 2008 it is now very difficult to obtain a gun license. The rich & powerful politicians and elite of the country do not face problems of securing gun licenses as they are very well protected by the central and state security forces. The number of policemen per 100,000 people in India is 130. The minimum United Nations norm is 220. At this rate, India is approximately 600,000 policemen short.

An AK-47 assault rifle could be acquired for USD 9,000, while other automatic rifles cost around thousand USD. 10 and 12 bore locally manufactured guns could also be bought easily. The cheapest and most common are crudely make small pipe guns. They are usually thrown after firing just one bullet.

Experts say it is cheaper and easier to procure illegal firearms in various parts of the country however detecting their sale and transfer is a challenging task for law enforcement agencies unless they have very specific information.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Govt. policies encouraging black market guns

Post by timmy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:13 am

I wonder why the video has been blocked?
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

SriramK
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by SriramK » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:11 am

timmy wrote:I wonder why the video has been blocked?
It works for me :)

Watching an Iranian website expose Indian flaws is a bit painful. Has our own media been stifled to the extent that such news doesn't reach the masses? However, the factual data quoted in this article seems similar to the one posted here a few days ago regarding the shootout of the Chadha brothers.

But then again, even if it were to be published more often, most people might look at such horrific numbers and go "Oh well, it doesn't matter to us, the aam aadmi. The police and government should worry about this, doesn't concern us."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:26 am

Timmy, there seems to be an issue playing the video on iPhone/ iPad. Should work just fine on a regular computer.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:33 am

mundaire wrote:Timmy, there seems to be an issue playing the video on iPhone/ iPad. Should work just fine on a regular computer.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Yes, I will bet that you are right, Abhijeet. I'm using an iPad now until I get back home.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:22 pm

One journalist who sees the problem exactly as it is.Thanks for posting.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:29 pm

I wonder if the prices shown are ficticious? An M16 for 20k, a 9mm handgun for 6k, a landmine for 40 bucks, A round of ammo for two bucks?

Independent sting operations put the price of an AK higher.But i guess being able to procure an assault rifle in the heart of Delhi demands a premium? I hope things change now that this is out in the open.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

Glock 25
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Glock 25 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:15 pm

mundaire wrote:A balanced report which exposes the Indian Government's gun policies for what they are - a whitewash! Follow the link to view the video, a brief transcript is quoted below:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/11/27 ... -in-india/
Illegal weapons trade flourishes in India

India is fast becoming a major market for illicit weapons. Insurgences, bandit gangs and street crimes are fuelling the demand for firearms.

Even the country’s tough gun ownership laws are unable to contain the spread of these illegal weapons. 85% of the 40 million guns in India are believed to be unregistered. They are responsible for over 90% of the firearm related murders.

In January 2010 The Supreme Court of India passed a landmark judgment upholding every Indian citizen's right of self defence.

Rahoul Rai, President of the National Association for Gun Rights has been apprising the government on the need for relaxation of rules for licensed gun owners who face grave danger.

Ever since the Mumbai terror attacks in 2008 it is now very difficult to obtain a gun license. The rich & powerful politicians and elite of the country do not face problems of securing gun licenses as they are very well protected by the central and state security forces. The number of policemen per 100,000 people in India is 130. The minimum United Nations norm is 220. At this rate, India is approximately 600,000 policemen short.

An AK-47 assault rifle could be acquired for USD 9,000, while other automatic rifles cost around thousand USD. 10 and 12 bore locally manufactured guns could also be bought easily. The cheapest and most common are crudely make small pipe guns. They are usually thrown after firing just one bullet.

Experts say it is cheaper and easier to procure illegal firearms in various parts of the country however detecting their sale and transfer is a challenging task for law enforcement agencies unless they have very specific information.

THANKS FOR INFORMATIVE POST
FIGHT FOR RIGHT UNTILL DEATH

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:49 pm

Very well written I hope more journalists report facts rather than towing the general sentiment line and trying to be "sensitive and politically correct" . People should wake up to the skewed idea of non violence and guns promoting voilence. No gun ever jumps up and kills people.
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Too true and Mizoram is a good example. All political parties that have come into power since Mizoram attained statehood have been responsible for scuttling the aspirations of the common man to own a legal firearm. Present and previous governments have been using the issue of arms licences as a political tool to favour party workers and deprive others. This has led to the creation of a 'black market' for firearms licences.
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

vivek16sep1969
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vivek16sep1969 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:39 pm

The rules for acquiring a weapon are so cumbersome ,that common people seldom opt for it,,,, Now days gun licence are for politicians and rich ,as they can only afford weapons worth several lakhs ,,,,,, where as a common person tries for something cheap and readily available,,,,,,,I wonder sometimes ,that why nobody is trying to ease out the procedure involved,,,, i remember my grand father telling me once, that during the British rule,he got his licence made in a day,,,,,,,
I feel dissatisfied with our system ,,,,The govt is responsible for the illegal weapon trade in our nation,,,
I wish if this system could change for the better,,,,,,
regards
"Fast is fine but accuracy is everything......"
-Wyatt Earp

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks Abhijit,

Its a good report but statements like this
often sends the wrong signal or, to some extent, dilutes the bigger picture that this report has efficiently projected - the fact that millions of illegal weapons are used in crimes against a population that few policemen cannot protect.

A common man asks for a licence to buy a legal weapon precisely because he does not have OR does not want to have access to illegal weapons.

TC