The police will protect you

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

The police will protect you

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:21 pm

..not in UP

http://in.news.yahoo.com/uttar-pradesh- ... 18443.html

Uttar Pradesh: Where cops need protection
IANS India Private LimitedBy Mohit Dubey | IANS India Private Limited – 2 hours 4 minutes ago

Lucknow, Nov 15 (IANS) Even as Uttar Pradesh Police Thursday launched a helpline (1090) meant to serve women in need of protection, people wondered whether a helpline for cops in distress might not be a good idea.

In the eight months that Akhilesh Yadav has been chief minister of the state, one sub-inspector was shot dead, a home guard escaped an attempt on his life, three police officials had their weapons looted, and more than half a dozen police stations have been attacked, vandalized or set on fire.

In the last fortnight alone, three incidents were reported from state capital Lucknow, of policemen being attacked by hoodlums; in one instance, there was an attempt to run over a traffic cop.

Only last week, a circle officer of the deputy superintendent of police (DSP)-rank belonging to the chief minister's security was bashed up in public view.

On Nov 1, a traffic constable near Bapu Bhawan in Lucknow was thrashed by motorcycle-borne youth; the next day, a sub-inspector of the traffic department was beaten up in Mahanagar locality; on the same day, a policeman of the state's Anti-Terror Squad (ATS) was beaten black and blue on a city bus.

A police sub-inspector was shot dead by criminals in Lakhimpur Kheri Oct 28 and his service revolver snatched.

A few days later, a home guard was attacked and shot at.

In August, some policemen, including a station house officer (SHO), were bashed up. Police stations in Ramgarh (Firozabad) and Amwas in Kasganj were attacked.

Soon after the Samajwadi Party (SP) government took over the reins of the state eight months ago, policemen were attacked in Uldan village in Jhansi and their service weapons looted.

Four policemen were seriously injured when a group belonging to 'nat' caste attacked policemen at Nizampur village in Barabanki and an SHO, sub-inspector and other policemen were beaten up in Baldehra village in Shrawasti.

Policemen have been tight-lipped about the public ire they face. Even so, newly- appointed Additional Director General (ADG) Law & Order Arun Kumar has sought detailed reports from districts where such incidents have taken place.

One senior police official, on condition of anonymity, admitted that the force was shocked that the attacks were often from "common people".

"The government is serious about resolving the matter, but it has also been caught unawares by sporadic attacks on men in khaki," he said.

Swamy Prasad Maurya, senior Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) leader and Leader of Opposition in the state assembly was pointed in his criticism: "There is a general perception that whenever the Samajwadi Party comes to power, goondaism increases. This time, though, all previous records have been shattered. The police force is being thrashed and killed."

Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Kalraj Mishra says the situation is "alarming, dangerous and unprecedented".

The law and order situation in the state has reached a new nadir, he says, adding that the attacks on policemen and police stations could not be dismissed as stray incidents, since there were far too many such attacks. What is more, many of the attacks happened in full public view, shaming law enforcers.

India Against Corruption (IAC) activist Vaibhav Maheshwari has an explanation for the phenomenon: "This is a delayed but desirable venting of frustrations of people, who are sick and tired of being at the receiving end of police high-handedness."

Sharad Chandra Mishra, 84-year-old longtime resident of Lucknow says stoically: "The common man has seen the police force in action extracting bribes, showing indifference, or expressing anger. Now, they're giving it back. It's quite okay."

Director General of Police (DGP) A.C. Sharma, however, says the attacks are by no means "alarming". What it shows, he asserts, is that the police are now in "proactive mode".

"See, who attacks a docile police party? It is only because we are issuing challans, raiding criminals and setting things right that we are being attacked. The people doing the attacking will be dealt with strictly," Sharma says.

(Mohit Dubey can be contacted at [email protected])

For Advertising mail webmaster
Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: The police will protect you

Post by Raptor » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:51 pm

:deadhorse:
Last edited by Raptor on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it."

Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raptor » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:54 pm

you mean india has a police force! :O oh those rude men in khaki ?! That's the police 'farce' :D ROTFL

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:08 pm

The police doubtless face many challenges given the political and social context they function in.Attacks on them are not a laughing matter, nor can we be cynical and conclude that they got their just desserts. However, they,the police, and the bureaucracy and the people who oppose private gun ownership for protection or sport must understand and accept the reality that protection of life and property is not something delegable. If you cannot protect people, then at least do not become obstacles to those who want to protect themselves.

Thanks for posting this,Winnie.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raptor » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:51 pm

Vikram wrote:The police doubtless face many challenges given the political and social context they function in.Attacks on them are not a laughing matter, nor can we be cynical and conclude that they got their just desserts. However, they,the police, and the bureaucracy and the people who oppose private gun ownership for protection or sport must understand and accept the reality that protection of life and property is not something delegable. If you cannot protect people, then at least do not become obstacles to those who want to protect themselves.

Thanks for posting this,Winnie.

Best-
Vikram
sir, with due respect our police is a symbol of oppresion, ignorence and intolerence. They themselves are responsible for their plight since they choose to abase themselves and play lapdogs to the rich and the powerful and they prey on the weak. this one time some guy punched me in the face so i hauled him over to a cop. You know what the cop said? He said 'kyu bekar me time kharab kar ra hai , ek paisa ni milna humey...dono ko andar kar deunga public me danga kar re ho!'...so if they are getting their posteriors kicked, i ,for one ,am not gonna lose any sleep over it. now i'm sure there are nice cops out there...but they are like snow leopards...you hear about them...you just don't meet them that often. And until I do I plan to gloat over their misfortune i'm sorry if that offends people but i would like to point out that I'm not the one initiating the 'police pitai' campaign, neither am i participating or encouraging others to participate! as the bard of avon once pointed out ' life's too serious to be taken seriously !':D

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:16 pm

:mrgreen: Oh C'mon Winnie. UP, Bihar's the Wild Wild West. Our Mumbai Police's not that bad. Brilliant Officers like Hemant Karkare, Julio Rebeiro, Aftab Ahmed Khan were in Mumbai Police .

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raptor » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:26 pm

Moin. wrote::mrgreen: Oh C'mon Winnie. UP, Bihar's the Wild Wild West. Our Mumbai Police's not that bad. Brilliant Officers like Hemant Karkare, Julio Rebeiro, Aftab Ahmed Khan were in Mumbai Police .

Regards
Moin.
sir moin, are you inspiring us or instigating us ;) ...Karkare saab, from what i've read and heard, didn't have the sense god gave to a billy goat and khan saab instigated a very public shootout in a residential complex....not very encouraging , is it? :roll:

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:24 pm

Raptor wrote:
Moin. wrote::mrgreen: Oh C'mon Winnie. UP, Bihar's the Wild Wild West. Our Mumbai Police's not that bad. Brilliant Officers like Hemant Karkare, Julio Rebeiro, Aftab Ahmed Khan were in Mumbai Police .

Regards
Moin.
sir moin, are you inspiring us or instigating us ;) ...Karkare saab, from what i've read and heard, didn't have the sense god gave to a billy goat and khan saab instigated a very public shootout in a residential complex....not very encouraging , is it? :roll:
Less sense than a Billy Goat, eh Sir Raptor. Maybe that's why he gave up his life in the line of Duty, won the Ashok Chakra and yes less sense than a Billy Goat, therefore had served in RAW as well.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raptor » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:38 pm

yes sir Moin ... as a senior officer, ex RAW etc...he should have known how to conduct a search operation. jumping into a qualis 'filimishtaar' style, which is already packed with 6 constables and 3 other senior officers is ....hmmm...'putting all your eggs in one basket' is the expression i believe...a first year cadet knows not to bunch up...prey which part of the training manual offers that stupendofantabulous advice! I'm not denying his sacrifice ...but his common sense! I'm sure the tactically oriented members are in a better position to elaborate on that..if they choose to.Unless yer a cop yourself you haven't met a nice policewala!and that sir Moin is a fact!Yes , what they do is difficult, yes there are a few good cops and yes they are human too...but you know what...they are not very humane! :roll:
Last edited by Raptor on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Raptor wrote:yes sir Moin ... as a senior officer, ex RAW etc...he should have known how to conduct a search operation. jumping into a qualis 'filimishtaar' style, which is already packed with 6 constables and 3 other senior officers is ....hmmm...'putting all your eggs in one basket' is the expression i believe...a first year cadet knows not to bunch up...prey which part of the training manual offers that stupendofantabulous advice! I'm not denying his sacrifice ...but his common sense! I'm sure the tactically oriented members are in a better position to elaborate on that..if the choose to.Unless yer a cop yourself you haven't met a nice policewala!and that sir Moin is a fact!Yes , what they do is difficult, yes there are a few good cops and yes they are human too...but you know what...they are not very humane! :roll:
Well, I grew up with one. My grandfather was a retired Supritendent of Police, a few uncles are cops, so don't quite agree. Maybe you should start an institute Sir Raptor on Training Highly Experienced Senior IPS Officers on what needs to be done in such crisis such as selecting their modes of transport so their intellignece's not compared to that of a Billy Goats.

And yes what these cops were against were highly trained motivated terrorists that even the Marcos and NSG 51 SAG has a hard time with. These guys were not run of the mill criminals with country made revolvers. Qualis or otherwise no police officer would stand a chance against automatic kalashnikov's and such trained terrorist.
Last edited by Moin. on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raptor » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:57 pm

it's the little things sir Moin...it's always the little things...like the camo yer wearing.....the number of mags you carry...on which side do you wear your pistol, are you using a shoulder rig or a hip holster...what backup do you have ....you gotta quarter your AO...do you move parallel to your objective or at a tangent?....how many feet from one cover to another .. shape , shadow , movement..and how many eggs you put in one basket!Wearing the khaki do not maketh a policeman...you gotta think..so yes...about as smart as a billy goat!

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Raptor:
Its easy to diss someone who isnt around to defend himself.
Respect the dead.
Just curious, what credentials do you bring to this argument?did you know the slain gents? Or have you studied the after action reports? Or is it yet another case of google + wikipedia?
I ask only, because you seem quite forceful in your arguments without any proof.
Festively yours :D
Airborne bam bam
To Excellence through Diligence.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Moin,no one gives up his life.As far as real sacrifice goes it was that of the policeman who,despite being unarmed,grappled with Kasab. As far as being in the IPS is concerned,it accords no special quality as a police officer.Some are very good,the vast majority mediocre and some are a disgrace to the service.

With Raptor on this one,the police in India is the same, in the way it operates,as it was during the colonial times.It is still used as an instrument of oppressing dissent,to fix political opponents,to favour loyalists regardless of their wrong doings,to accord protection to criminals and criminal activity,to grab land.....the list is long and not a very flattering one.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Raptor wrote:it's the little things sir Moin...it's always the little things...like the camo yer wearing.....the number of mags you carry...on which side do you wear your pistol, are you using a shoulder rig or a hip holster...what backup do you have ....you gotta quarter your AO...do you move parallel to your objective or at a tangent?....how many feet from one cover to another .. shape , shadow , movement..and how many eggs you put in one basket!Wearing the khaki do not maketh a policeman...you gotta think..so yes...about as smart as a billy goat!
Don't understand all this, I'm an ordinary middle class citizen not a military man. All I know is that he is someone who's laid down his life in the line of duty, against the enemies of this country and its citizens. That's the most honourable way to die. This sacrifice in my book demands the highest amount of respect, if you think otherwise that's just plain sad.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:43 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:Moin,no one gives up his life.As far as real sacrifice goes it was that of the policeman who,despite being unarmed,grappled with Kasab. As far as being in the IPS is concerned,it accords no special quality as a police officer.Some are very good,the vast majority mediocre and some are a disgrace to the service.

With Raptor on this one,the police in India is the same, in the way it operates,as it was during the colonial times.It is still used as an instrument of oppressing dissent,to fix political opponents,to favour loyalists regardless of their wrong doings,to accord protection to criminals and criminal activity,to grab land.....the list is long and not a very flattering one.
Absolutely Winnie, extraordinary feat of courage shown by our policeman in grappling with a man with a Kalashinkov.

But you are talking like those Bengali Intellectuals in Smoke filled coffee houses in park street or kurta wearing political science students from JNU.

These guys are doing a very tough demanding job, there are rotten eggs in all fileds be it politics, the armed forces or private industry, wrong to form a general opnion based on the action of few.

Best
Moin.