The police will protect you

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: The police will protect you

Post by Raptor » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Deleted upon request. Mod
"It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raptor » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:24 pm

ak27 wrote:I think Moin is a Civil Engineer/Architect and a few gentleman here have interacted with him in-person I believe. He,as far as I know, is a decent gentleman and has contributed to a significant extent to this forum.

Please fellas, let's not start throwing stones at each other. Last time I checked, IFG is the last place one would go for trolling.

:cheers:
:agree:

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:46 pm

It is on.You first.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raptor » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:55 pm

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:27 pm

Describe target area and situation first.What intel do you have?
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raptor » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raptor » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:49 pm

check your PM...this isn't the right platform..we can of course discuss your verdict here , later.

Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raptor » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:34 pm

Fair enough....I will be the first one to apologize, to any and all members who have been or are likely to be hurt/offended/miffed at my posts I hereby solemnly offer my unconditional apology. thank you for your time! And a big thank you to the moderators for stepping in. I'll the first one to admit that mid-course correction is often required in my case :D

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:50 pm

Sorry from me as well for taking this too personally and offensive nature of my last post.

Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:32 am

So that's that.
To Excellence through Diligence.

YogiBear
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by YogiBear » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:05 am

Aloha,

If you really want to know how police do things on the street, do a Ride Along with them.

I don't know if Indian Police have a Ride Along program. This allow civilians to ride along side uniformed officers in patrol cars.

I did it years ago with my local beat officer, who happened to be a friend.

Rode with him after work at night. The area I lived in at the time was considered a Bad area.

On of the first things we got settled was rules of engagement or what to do IF

He asked if I knew how to operate a Remington 870 12ga Riot shotgun. I told him that I "could make it sing" IF I had to.

Basically, if he were shot at, I had weapons free to defend us both. Worry about the paper work after.

Fortunaely, we never had a "situation". Not even close.

Some one asked about handgun vs AK?

Here's what happened in a friend's home town in Texas several years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_courthouse_shooting

Bottom line is use a big enough gun. If the BG doesn't drop with the first shots, shoot fot the head or pelvic area.

Personally, I like anything 40 cal and larger. My favorite being the 41 magnum, 44 spl and 45 (Long) Colt in that order.

I know of several other incidents of handguns vs rifles, with the handgun shooter winning.

You have to understand that Hunting with a handgun is Legal in almost all states.

Deer season just started in the US last week.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:14 am

yogi bear,my ride with police..http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGdd7m ... =12hb2gv10
?????
well here is the other side..a constable gets 10 to 15k a month.he has to manage travel,food etc on his own.they have to work 24,48,72 hrs nonstop no sleep what soever,depending on the situation.no 8 hr shift like other dept or job.there is no fund for paper,to feed the criminals in station,no chaya money,who will sweep and who will pay etc etc etc
my town had a population of 50,000 in 1947...no of cops then was 100.now the population 5lacs..no of cops 100.
how can we expect,what we expect?
regards
dr.jk

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:10 am

ak27 wrote:I think Moin is a Civil Engineer/Architect and a few gentleman here have interacted with him in-person I believe. He,as far as I know, is a decent gentleman and has contributed to a significant extent to this forum.

Please fellas, let's not start throwing stones at each other. Last time I checked, IFG is the last place one would go for trolling.

:cheers:
Highly agree. Moin is very knowledgeable on knives and I love learning from what he writes. He is one of the few who can hold a candle to 'Mack the knife'.
Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:06 pm

Thank you Dev, AK, Skyman and my apologies to all senior members and moderators for my out of line post, should have known better. I've grown up among policemen and I have seen the kind of working hours, low pay, work pressures that we can't thinks of, the daily delaings with murderers, rapists, criminals of the worst kind can do to family life. Believe you me, not all Police Officers are corrupt. Are our Politicians not corrupt, is there no corruption in Private Sector ? Doctorsaab, it's easy posting these links, I've lost loved ones to Medical Negligence, can post 50 such links.

I left South Mumbai an hour before the carnage started, hell our IFG member Slingshot was at Oberoi himself. We Mumbaikars have seen enough of Gangwars, Blasts and terrorist attacks. Not only Mumbaikars, but all Indians are greatful to the NSG and Officers like Hemant Karakare who lost their life in the Line of Duty on that night. I respect that from the bottom of my heart.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Somewhere in the heat of things, a few points were lost let me reiterate them:
1. The lack of an emergency response team, something akin to a qrt in the army.
2. Possible lackadisical training imparted in a few areas which have become more pertinent in recent times.
3. Poor communications infrastructure.
4. Departmental outlook.

Let me elaborate. As a civilian, I wonder if they had a force ready to deploy at short notice. I am thinking something like SWAT. Wherein there is a squad on duty always. I don't know if the training for a police constable and for the officers had much emphasis on things like terrorism etc. In today's urban scenario, the police is often going to be the first.force on the scene. What kind of communications setup did they have. Was information being collected and then disseminated effectively. Was there optimum co ordination between the different units on the ground. What were the priorities of the department. Have they changed.now. have they learnt a lesson or not.
A police man is as corrupt as all of us and equally as honest as each and every one of us. There are all kinds. But this I know and believe, that when push comes to shove, you will not find them lacking in giving their last full measure of devotion for the nation. A man is as good as the training imparted to him, so if we have to, let's.talk of that.
This is a public forum as the mods pointed out, and if someone from the families of the slain did read this, know that there are many of us who salute the supreme sacrifice made by these handful of brave sons of the nation.
To Excellence through Diligence.