NRAILA - Theory Of Gun Control Meets Reality Of Crime

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
mehulkamdar

NRAILA - Theory Of Gun Control Meets Reality Of Crime

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun May 27, 2007 3:07 am

Article Link.

Theory Of Gun Control Meets Reality Of Crime

Friday, May 25, 2007

A May 15 story in The Plain Dealer (Cleveland, Ohio) serves as a good reminder of how a person’s support for gun control often changes after a personal experience with crime.

State Representative Michael DeBose (D-12) of Cleveland was an opponent of Right-to-Carry, having voted against the measure twice. All that changed on the night of May 1, when he was confronted by two men, one of whom was wielding a gun. On that night, Rep. DeBose’s sense of security in his neighborhood changed, as did his view on lawful citizens being able to defend themselves.

Rep. DeBose was lucky—this time—that his running, screaming, and summons for help prevented him from being harmed. When asked how this recent experience may change the prism through which he views Right-to-Carry, Rep. DeBose was crystal clear: "I was wrong. I'm going to get a permit and so is my wife. I've changed my mind. You need a way to protect yourself and your family. I don't want to hurt anyone. But I never again want to be in the position where I'm approached by someone with a gun and I don't have one. There are too many people who are just evil and mean-spirited. They will hurt you for no reason. If more people were packing guns, it might serve as a deterrent.”

We welcome Rep. DeBose to the growing list of Right-to-Carry converts. While it is too bad it took a life-threatening situation to convert him, we hope he will share his experience, and his newfound respect for the right to self-defense, with his other colleagues who still don’t get it. It is our hope they won’t have to endure a similar experience to do so.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sun May 27, 2007 10:25 am

"A black hen lays a white egg."

A mere visualisation of a situation like that is enough to take one to his wit's end... and ofcourse change perceptions....

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun May 27, 2007 3:55 pm

It indeed is difficult for most people to understand the other side of the coin without experience.Good that he learned his lesson and wasn't harmed in that process.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mehulkamdar

Re: NRAILA - Theory Of Gun Control Meets Reality Of Crime

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon May 28, 2007 12:07 am

What I appreciate about this gentleman and his wife is that they had the decency and courage of their convictions to admit when they had misjudged the whole business of gun ownership. There are hypocrites like the New York Times' owner Arthur Sulzberger Jr, Senator Diane Feinstein of California, Speaker NAncy Pessolini (sorry Pelosi :twisted: ) all of whom have concealed carry permits and also have massive security details but would like to deny everyone who cannot afford this the right to defend themselves.