is our soceity accepted anti-gun policy?

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
chandrashekhar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

is our soceity accepted anti-gun policy?

Post by chandrashekhar » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:42 pm

hello dears actualy i am speaking from karnataka and i recently applied for gun licence (and that to sbbl) when i told this to my freinds,relatives,and people surrounding me they ask me a bunch of questions so idioticaly i will list them
1.why you need a gun licence?
2.are you have a risk to your life?
3.are you have a lot of money?
4.what you do with your gun?
5.a gun to kill whom?
and some more noncence question and dear freinds out of ten people not even a single guy supported me.i give the resons that it's my right and iwant to transfer my father's gun who is passedaway from us recently,but They just told me you don't have work and have lot of money therefore you are doing such things.what to say otherthan mera bharat mahan?....... :(

For Advertising mail webmaster
BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: is our soceity accepted anti-gun policy?

Post by BowMan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:13 pm

lol...I'm sure you will find a bunch of sympathizers here.

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Yes, by and large, we have become an anti-gun society. Most people, even a lot of licensees, believe that a gun is needed only for the reasons you cited. They believe that owning a weapon automatically will turn you into a killer. :shock: The exception to this may be, families in which there are already firearms or those that have a member of family that is in the armed forces or is a traditional martial family like a Sikh or Kodava(Coorgi).

Regards,
Anand

Ganesh TT
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ganesh TT » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:52 pm

i too have a same problem like chandrashekar....when ever i show my interest about guns & arms to others, they all say one thing. what u going to become terrorist? & i always reply back saying - arms, guns, shooting is not only meant for terrorist, it is also for good sports person which will help recognition to india in world level.
Thanks

GANESH TT

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:57 pm

Gun is the best Equalizer in the world.

From weak to women it gives the calm in calamity and security of your life, liberty and freedom.

Tell them that my Right to own one that gives you the Right to tell me that I can't.

http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts ... screen.pdf

You will hear all sort of good arguments against the gun from Tyrannical Goberments to Elitists of the society that you don't need it, be very aware of them - Haji
Last edited by Hammerhead on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bhargav » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:15 pm

chandrashekhar wrote:hello dears actualy i am speaking from karnataka and i recently applied for gun licence (and that to sbbl) when i told this to my freinds,relatives,and people surrounding me they ask me a bunch of questions so idioticaly i will list them
1.why you need a gun licence?
2.are you have a risk to your life?
3.are you have a lot of money?
4.what you do with your gun?
5.a gun to kill whom?
and some more noncence question and dear freinds out of ten people not even a single guy supported me.i give the resons that it's my right and iwant to transfer my father's gun who is passedaway from us recently,but They just told me you don't have work and have lot of money therefore you are doing such things.what to say otherthan mera bharat mahan?....... :(
Chandrasekhar

I am not surprised and i am in the same boat. You talking about India? I experience the same thing here in the US from my Indian friends. I have accepted one thing, either you love the gun and you will read much about it to understand that it's not only for killing or you have this typical mindset that you will even not look at the picture of a gun thinking that it might go off.

In my Indian circle here, I am the only one gun enthusiast and according to them I am not normal. In order to be normal you have to play cricket talk cricket and watch cricket to attract most audience :)
I find hard time to explain the whole concept of self defense and rights.

Eh you will be surprised to know that after taking so much pain to explain them about shooting sports and everything they still ask me at the end, "but why do you want to play dangerous sports, there are safe sports like cricket" :)

So after years and years of experience I have come with this theory, if a person is a gun enthusiast then the gun topic will bring shine in their eyes .... If not then no matter what you do for them, a gun will always be something that will kill on its own :))

I share your pain my friend ..

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:35 am

Chandrashekar,
Do you believe you are the same person whether you own a gun or not? Do you believe that owning a gun will fundamentally change your personality so you will become a terrorist or a criminal? That sure sounds stupid when put that way doesn't it?
Ignore the people who cannot think for themselves and go ahead with your quest to get your father's gun licensed to yourself. The fact that the gun belonged to your father is very important, at least it would be very important to me. If it were me, I would move heaven and earth to get that gun in my name. Apart from the answers that others here have given to the stupid questions that have been asked of by your friend and relatives; "it is my father's gun" should be more than enough for you.

Bhargav,
When my family moved to Nigeria after I graduated from the 12th standard in India, I was very excited. I was going to live in fabled Africa, meet new and exciting people and see a whole new culture. Instead my parents joined the local Indian Association and all we did was hang around other Indians, eat Indian food and do the same stuff we did back in India. Even though I played cricket in India, I really can't stand the long drawn out matches and all the hoopla that goes along with the whole test match scenario.
When I came to the US, I was determined to avoid falling into the same trap. I assiduously avoided the overtures of the local Indian Association and spent my time getting to know Americans and their culture. I met and cultivated the company of people who thought like me, especially about guns, and pursued their friendship. Once they get to know you, most Americans are very warm and caring. Consequentially my American experience has been tremendously more rewarding than my African experience.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bhargav » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:50 am

Xl_target

I totally agree with you on Indian groups in the US. Unfortunately we create the same small shell around us here and our thoughts never change.

I have always found a warm and caring person at the range who will teach you and give you all the necessary information and help.

Heck i remember my first ever M1 Garand high power rifle clinic that I attended. This gentleman who was in his 50s taught me about the rifle so nicely that I still remember his every word. That was my first ever introduction to guns in the US.

Chandrasekhar

Love your intrest no matter what people say or think about you :)

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Folks, I recently commented on facebook that the girl molested in Guwahati should have had a gun.

Booom!

I was fighting, singlehandedly, back-to-the-wall against a lot of people who believed all sorts of nonsense (e.g. pepper spray can ward off 50-odd potential rapists, our justice system is omnipresent, omniscient, omni-whatever, I had an outdated mentality, I am utterly insane, they will be scared to have me around with a gun in my hands, blah blah blah). However, I noticed that when you persist in giving logical, or number-based arguments, these lotus-eaters go off on an emotional tangent (we didn't know you have a violent streak in you!!!!), or start calling you names. And then they say something like, "you will remain crazy", and shut up. The only statistics they can quote are those on the Brady website, about the reliability of which I will not comment, at least in the company of IFG! :deadhorse:

And as for cricket, one needs to look at the problems facing our Olympians currently in London, and contrast it to the WWE clone known as IPL, to see to what extent other sports have been subordinated to cricket.

Xl_target, I have never been able to understand why package trips to Europe have "all Indian meals" as a selling point!!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bhargav » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:29 pm

Essdee

I totally agree with you on cricket. No offense to cricket lovers but today cricket has shadowed every other game in India. Let's see how many medals India brings back this year.

shooter123
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by shooter123 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:27 pm

oh yes i agree with xl_target ,but our kids does'nt have learn any lesson in their education even comletion of graduation and they just learn AHIMSA throughout their education.but they don't learn that ahimsa does'nt mean that avoiding self protection when somebody attacks us,the goverment have to take steps educate children in weapons because todays kid is the futures civilian JAI HIND.... :agree:

Lever Action
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Lever Action » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi chandrashekhar i can understand your plight , basically the problem here is the moment you tell people something they will pass there judgement then and there without going into the merits , as the saying goes when you want to shoot then shoot ,dont talk ....... same way in life whatever you think is good for you be it some hobby or taking some tough decisions go by what your head and heart says ..........so my humble suggestion go ahead and apply for arms licence and get your fathers gun ,its your life and you are the one answerable for it .............

Regards
Lever Action

chandrashekhar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by chandrashekhar » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:07 pm

thank you for suporting me dear freinds therefore i don't talk about arms in public i only talk about weapons in ifg because they can understand what i am asking and they know gun is not a property but it is a necessity and weapon is not greed it's a need of man .......long live ifg

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:37 pm

essdee1972 wrote:
Xl_target, I have never been able to understand why package trips to Europe have "all Indian meals" as a selling point!!!
Vegetarianism? Sourcing palatable (or any!) vegetarian food is sometimes difficult abroad. The prospect of returning to boiled carrots after a long day of travel is hardly appetising. Though I do not deny the inherent xenophobia many (if not most) Indians grow up with.

XL target has hit the nail on the head. I have had exactly the same experience in the UK and Canada. Indians with a "ghetto" mentality, refusing to mingle, treating their host country and its inhabitants with derision due to some imaginary "moral" superiority.

chandrashekhar, I have had the same experiences, not only with shooting, but with my other hobbies too. Most of my friends and family believe free time is to make more money or watch cricket. However, after a while, they become bored trying to draw me out and give up their immature needling. Just be patient and do no give in to temper. It will pass.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:18 pm

Just watched The new batman movie today.You would not believe the difference a gun in hand makes when faced with sudden calamities or riots, god forbid.To me, a gun for self defense is as essential as an umbrella or chappal.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.