Elections/Deposit of Weapons-Any remedy under law

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
Yasho
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Elections/Deposit of Weapons-Any remedy under law

Post by Yasho » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:41 pm

Friends,
Whenever its election time, Lok Sabha or Vidhan Sabha, the DM issues directive for weapons to be deposited with area 'thanas'.
People keep a licensed pistol or revolver or gun or rifle for self protection or from safety point of view etc. Whats the point of having a licensed weapon if its to be deposited. The police or for that matter the administration does not give surety of no untoward incident taking place.
When proper verification is done prior to issue of an arms license, then why this harassment as if the weapon holder is an anti-social element.
Is there not any remedy under law not to deposit the weapon.
Please advise.

For Advertising mail webmaster
piyushpdsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Elections/Deposit of Weapons-Any remedy under law

Post by piyushpdsingh » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:50 am

Yasho,
Members of N.R.A.I are exempted from deposit of arms /ammunitions by election commision's standing instructions vide letter No. 437/GE-99/PLN-III/MCC dated 28-07-1999(nrai newsletter,june 2006, pg.4).
In Bihar we had a PIL on this matter after which people are exempted from depositindg arms/ammunitions.( Md.Khursid Alam Vs.The chief election commision,The state of Bihar, you can find it in PLJR 1995.vol 1,pg.683).
Hope this helps.
Piyush Pal Dhari Singh

denzilmatthew
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by denzilmatthew » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:44 am

Hi piyush,

You have mentioned about the NRAI What about a member of state rifle association are they exempted from depositing the weapon.

Reagrds,

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:26 am

In Punjab,as a result of the recently concluded elections,a ban was imposed on the carrying of firearms.This will be in force till the 2nd of March as the result will be out on 27th feburary.There was no order to deposit firearms or ammunition.

penpusher

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:29 pm

Yasho/ penpusher,

We got a notice from the local Police station to deposit our arms for the recent Gurudwara elections as well! :P On speaking with the chowki in-charge we were told that all Sikh families were being asked to deposit their licensed firearms! Now if that isn't going overboard then I really don't know what is! :evil:

Piyush, this is indeed an interesting piece of information (the exemption for NRAI members). I wonder if this has been communicated to all police stations? Would you by any chance have a copy of this notification with you? I think we should have it posted here for the benefit of all members...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:29 pm

On speaking with the chowki in-charge we were told that all Sikh families were being asked to deposit their licensed firearms! Now if that isn't going overboard then I really don't know what is! Evil or Very Mad

Not to mention discriminatory.Why not take it up with the National Cimmission for Minorities.

penpusher

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:18 pm

penpusher";p="12525 wrote:Not to mention discriminatory.Why not take it up with the National Cimmission for Minorities.

penpusher
Not a half bad idea penpusher! Though I doubt if we could apply to the minorities commission ourselves as an aggrieved party... since we are not Sikhs... Will ask my neighbours if any of them would be willing to either apply themselves/ or let me apply on their behalf...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:31 am

What a mess! Some one tell the cops that we are a democracy??
When did we become a banana republic? :(
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

piyushpdsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by piyushpdsingh » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:41 am

Abhijeet,
I do not have that notification with me,will check with B.S.R.A. I will post it if i get it.
I do not think it was communicated to local police stations.It may have been communicated to the state election commisions and a copy must have been sent to the N.R.A.I.
mundaire";p="12515 wrote:Yasho/ penpusher,

We got a notice from the local Police station to deposit our arms for the recent Gurudwara elections as well! :P On speaking with the chowki in-charge we were told that all Sikh families were being asked to deposit their licensed firearms! Now if that isn't going overboard then I really don't know what is! :evil:

Piyush, this is indeed an interesting piece of information (the exemption for NRAI members). I wonder if this has been communicated to all police stations? Would you by any chance have a copy of this notification with you? I think we should have it posted here for the benefit of all members...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Piyush Pal Dhari Singh

piyushpdsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by piyushpdsingh » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:01 am

ELECTION COMMISSION OF INDIA
NIRVACHAN SADAN, ASHOKA ROAD, NEW DELHI-110 001.

S.P. SINGH
Secretary

No.437/GE-99/PLN-III/MCC Dated: 28thJuly, 1999
To
Chief Secretaries
ofall the States and Union Territories.
Sir,
The National Rifle Association of India has approached theCommission and has requested that their members may be exempted from depositsof arms.
The sportsmen being the members of National Rifle Association, atdifferent levels, have to participate in various sporting events in which they use theirrifles.
After taking into account all relevant factors, the Commission hasagreed to the request and, accordingly, has ordered that they will be exempted fromrestriction imposed under the Commission’s order No.464.96/L&O/PLN-I dated 13-03-1996 with regard to deposit of arms/ammunition.

Yours faithfully,
( Sharan Pal Singh )
Secretary
Piyush Pal Dhari Singh

piyushpdsingh
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by piyushpdsingh » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:15 am

Abhijeet,
Election commision as typical of a goverment department has plenty of letters on this matter,they have done this on request of N.R.A.I.I am facing some diffculty in providing link to them,so posting just one of them,every letter refers to some other,these can be viewed on Election Commission of India. I found them by searching them on site by letter number.
Hope this helps.
Piyush Pal Dhari Singh

cherian.k.k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cherian.k.k » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:11 am

hello all
not only the members of NRAI is exempted from dipositing the guns but also district club members also.,i am saying this because i am an exemptee,but this is not made available to all the members. it is limited to active ones only{competitors}. every time election come v have to submit a copy all the names of exemptees with the order from election comm.but the police people are not very happy about it
cherian.k.k

cooldude
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cooldude » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:36 am

Yasho. Check out this link for your answer regarding deposit of arms. http://www.nrai.in/notifications.html
The day guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:30 am

The NRAI link isn't opening at my end. Can others see it or is it just my computer?

Mack The Knife

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:11 pm

Mack The Knife,
The link is up,perhaps something at your end.
Am planning to become a member of NRAI,would request somebody to propose and another to second my name.
This seems to be a mandatory part of the application process.Thanks in advance.
Best
Sanjay