Surat businessmen hit the firing range

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Surat businessmen hit the firing range

Post by Sujay » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:08 pm

Surat businessmen hit the firing range :--

SURAT: It's 8 am. Diamond merchant Bhagwan Maniya from the Katargam area of the city arms himself with his .32 bore Webley and Scotts. Textile merchant Aditram Dakoria too takes his .22 bore Walther revolver before leaving his house and, joining them, after checking their .32 bore revolvers, are Jayesh Shah and his wife Karishma — all businesspersons.

No one's at war here. These people have made it a routine to hit the firing range located in Umra village every Sunday to sharpen their shooting skills. After the string of crimes against the well-to-do — murder of diamond merchant Ashok Sawani's guard and that of diamond broker Dayal Makwana in Katargam, as well as kidnapping and murder of the son of a diamond unit manager — these people take their shooting practice seriously.

Secretary of Rifle Club Association, Gujarat, Jayesh Malaviya said, "We have at least 300 members who are businessmen — 150 of whom are into diamond industry. Those who had enrolled just to obtain an arms license, have now started practising regularly." According to police officials, nearly 3,000 gun licenses have been issued in the city alone.

The threat of child abduction has become a real bother for businesspersons like Jayesh Shah and his wife Karishma. The family had also become victim of a loot case in 2000. Says Jayesh, "Being into the money lending business, I had faced an assault once. Now that my wife too helps me in my business, we are always worried about our son Meet."

Bhagwan Maniya, a diamond merchant from Katargam, who recently witnessed the murder of a diamond broker on Friday says, "We are always under the threat of being assaulted or being killed as we carry diamonds with us," Maniya said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Citi ... 388537.cms
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

For Advertising mail webmaster
shahid

Re: Surat businessmen hit the firing range

Post by shahid » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:04 pm

Great. Initiatives like these will definetely discourage criminals who as of now fear no resistance from good citizens.

mehulkamdar

Re: Surat businessmen hit the firing range

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:53 pm

Wish more cities were as proactive on shooting as Surat. Don't Delhi and Mumbai also have problems with kidnappings etc? On another note, the Surtis are to be commended for following Mahatma Gandhi's pro gun ideals. 8) :lol:

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:54 am

Commendable start. An armed public response is one thing that could change the face of criminality in any society.I have been doing the rounds of a Police station the past few days for an FIR copy for my stolen car and EVERYONE who got to know about my stolen car asked me to offer the cops a bounty and my car would be returned the next day!! 8) Street rumour has it that it CANT happen without the connivance of the coppers...sad commentary on the state of policing in UP.

On the flip side,Wonder what the Surati ammo quota is? some animals are more equal than the others??
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."