Economic times takes blinkered view!

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Economic times takes blinkered view!

Post by mundaire » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:53 pm

The Economic Times carried the following article today, taking what can only be termed as a blinkered view of the proposed amendments to the Arms Act.
Controlling the grey market for guns
25 Jul 2010, 0131 hrs IST,Shantanu Nandan Sharma,ET Bureau

When Mahendra Singh Dhoni applied to buy a 9 mm pistol, it triggered a riot of redtapism in his home state of Jharkhand. He was made to run from pillar to post for several months, before his application was sent to Delhi’s North Block, the union home ministry headquarters, for final approval. The captain of the national cricket team finally received the licence for the bore, but not before two years of paperwork and a controversy over the authorities demanding, among other things, his character certificate!

While ordinary citizens, who also plan to own firearms, were fretting at the government’s trigger-happy rules that required even a national icon to defend his reputation, the home ministry moved in to amend the Arms Act, 1959 making the process (of acquiring firearms) even more stringent. The proposed changes, which were approved by the Cabinet last week, will minimise chances of issuing arms licences to persons of doubtful antecedents and are supposed to stall proliferation of small arms in a conflict-ridden nation.

The ministry has argued that proliferation of arms, whether licensed or illegal, vitiates law and order, and hence needs to be curbed. India with 46 million firearms has the world’s second-largest civilian gun arsenal after the United States, according to the 2007 Small Arms Survey. Whereas US citizens own 270 million of the world’s 875 million known firearms, China with 40 million privately held firearms ranks third. But with bloody incidents involving gun-totting individuals on the rise in the US, as also in Indian cities and villages, concerns over the growing number of licenses isn’t unfounded.

A serving police officer who did not want to be named says that celebrities and industrialists often apply for small arms for protection, but there has been a craze for licensed guns in some geographical areas in particular. “You would find more such applications in central Bihar or in and around Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh. At times, people try to bribe officers to get arms licences too,” he says. Among people who own guns in India are the rich who need to defend themselves, and politicians and criminals, who not only use the bore to defend, but also as a symbol of power and prestige.

There is a provision, Section 13 (2A), of the Act, which empowers the licensing authority to grant an arms licence where the police verification report has not been received within the prescribed time. Now, the new draft, which will be moved to Parliament for approval seeks to delete the provision thereby making it mandatory for the licensing authority to wait for the police verification report.

Though the government’s move to amend the Arms Act is unlikely to face any opposition in Parliament, a lobby group called National Association for Gun Rights for India (Nagri) is already terming the proposed amendment as “draconian”. It argues that if someone can own and carry firearms for self-defence in the US, why is he not allowed to do so in India. It argues that terrorists or the mafia are not going to be deterred by gun-control laws, and will be willing to procure arms of their choice irrespective of any laws.

Rahoul Rai, the president of Nagri says the amendment of the Arms Act is an injustice to ordinary citizens. “If an ordinary citizen applies for a gun’s licence, he is unlikely to get it unless he has right connections. And it may take two to three years. So, many people end up buying illegal arms,” he says.

What’s more, it is cheaper to buy the same gun in the grey market. The cost of a .32 Cal Revolver, for instance, is over Rs 78,000, whereas a .32 Cal Semi-Auto Pistol costs Rs 85,358, according to the ratelist of Indian Ordnance Factories, the state-owned firearms manufacturing units. Some of the cheaper options include 0.22 LR Revolver (about Rs 46,000), .22 LR Sporting Rifle (about Rs 42,000) and .315 Sporting Rifle (over Rs 55,000), but many of those are available cheaper in grey market because of stringent rules in resale. According to available statistics, only 2% of the total murders in the country is committed by legally held arms.

Also, stringent rules for licenced small arms may not work so long as there is a proliferation of illegal arms in the country mainly due to rising conflicts. Binalakshmi Nepram, secretary general of New Delhi-based Control Arms Foundation of India, argues that India alone cannot fight the problem of arms proliferation as arms know no borders. “It is important to develop a regional treaty with South Asian countries to curb cross border transfers of Arms. And at the UN level, it is critical for India to support efforts for a global Arms Trade Treaty to curb irresponsible trade transfers,” she says. The treaty is expected to be finalised by 2012.

For the home ministry, though, a bigger challenge is the lack of a national database that tracks legally held firearms. Ms Nepram mentions how the proposed amendment of the Arms Act wants to create a database. “The draft policy proposes the licencing authority to maintain records and share those with the central government,” she says. And that will ensure a real analysis of guns, law and rights.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/fea ... 212270.cms
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Economic times takes blinkered view!

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Aim of MHA seems to be, to slowly and steadily chip away the already infringed fundamental right of self defense of all Indians, ultimately disarming every law abiding citizen in a couple of years without creating any hue and cry, convert them into slaves except disarming criminals of all types. U.N., IANSA & CAFI seems to be working underground with the corrupt babus of MHA to achieve this slowly, one step at a time.
Creation of database is only going to lead biased, prejudiced and predecided analysis of ownership of guns only in particular areas to mislead the people and nothing more. Creation of database is nothing but an invisible attack on the rights of people. If there is any rise of violent crime in any particular area, without even knowing about anything these anti-national anti-gun organizations bent on destroying martial traditions of the country, will try to draw conclusions that presence of legal arms in that particular area is cause of problem, to further their nefarious agenda.

Moreover creation of database is a THREAT to national security, please refer: http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 899#p99549
Last edited by goodboy_mentor on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:03 pm

The effort of the reporter to appear to be reflecting all the views of the interested parties is clearly visible, hence the neither here nor there stance.It still is a useful coverage in a mainstream media entity.I wish he touched the subject of crimes committed with illegal arms and legally held firearms.That would make a greater impact on how legal firearms ownership is viewed.JMHO.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Yes I agree, not blaming the reporter. But the nefarious intent of CAFI supporting the creation of database in order to blame legal gun owners for any crime in area by trying to fabricate and relate ownership of legal guns with all manner of crime. Why do we need a database to prove it, when we already have the data from National Crime Records Bureau to prove that less than 2% of murders are done with legal arms. Rest are by blunt/sharp edged weapons/illegal firearms etc. Databases have done no good in any country. One can refer http://gunfacts.info

Moreover in my opinion, creation of database is a threat to national security: http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 899#p99549
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:53 pm

Amongst other lacunae in the report, has anyone else noticed the use of the statistic of 46 million guns in civilian hands - NO WHERE mentioning the source of this statistic!

The fact is, some years back someone at the Small Arms Survey, Geneva made a GUESS as to how many firearms there MIGHT BE in the hands of Indian civilians... that WAS AND IS nothing but a GUESS, BUT in this article it is being passed on as an ESTABLISHED FACT to unsuspecting readers!
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:00 pm

Propaganda to counter propaganda, thats what is need of the hour

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:33 pm

huuuuuuubrag
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Amongst other lacunae in the report, has anyone else noticed the use of the statistic of 46 million guns in civilian hands - NO WHERE mentioning the source of this statistic!
This is how misinformation campaign is carried out by these nefarious anti gun organizations to create chimerical fears and brainwash ignorant people into slavery. Gun control originally had its roots in racist/colonial ideology, I strongly suspect these anti gun organizations have some hidden long term racist/colonial agenda.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:14 pm

may be a letter to the editor, or the readers column is needed to correct the mistake?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:16 am

Waste of Journalism is what I call it. As Vikram rightly said, it's neither here nor there. Looks more like a cut and paste job.

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:24 pm

Just put in a query to the editor. Lets see how its responded to ?
India with 46 million firearms has the world’s second-largest civilian gun arsenal after the United States, according to the 2007 Small Arms Survey.
Whats the source of this statistic, is it the NCRB ? If so, could you provide a copy of the RTI response you received if and when an RTI was filed seeking this statistic ? Out of the 46 million listed here, whats the percentage of legal vs illegal guns ? I'm sure the entire 46 million do not constitute the 'Civilian' gun owners. Please dont club 'outlaws' and 'criminals' who hold illegal guns with 'civilians' its insulting. Looking forward to your response.
regards
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.