Self Defence Extends to Protecting Property: SC

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
paddy
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Self Defence Extends to Protecting Property: SC

Post by paddy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:40 am

Source: The Times of India, New Delhi

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 193592.cms

NEW DELHI: Right to self-defence is not only about using force to save oneself from an attacker but also extends to protecting one's property from being stolen or forcibly taken over, the Supreme Court has ruled.

"The basic principle underlying the doctrine of the right to private defence is that when an individual or his property is faced with danger and immediate aid from the state machinery is not readily available, that individual is entitled to protect himself and his property," it said.

But the force used by a person to protect himself or his property should not be grossly disproportionate to that needed to ward off the threat from the aggressor, a bench comprising Justices D K Jain and R M Lodha said in a recent judgment.

At the same time, the bench said it would be difficult to quantify how much force was justifiable in exercise of a person's right to self-defence.

"The means and the force a threatened person adopts at the spur of the moment to ward off danger and to save himself or his property cannot be weighed in golden scales. It is neither possible nor prudent to lay down abstract parameters which can be applied to determine whether the means and force adopted by the threatened person was proper or not," said Justice Jain, writing the judgment for the bench.

The court did not give any relief to petitioner Sikander Singh and his associates who had launched an attack on another set of persons and had received injuries when those attacked had retaliated. Citing the injuries on them, the petitioners had claimed that they had attacked in self-defence and requested the court to set aside their conviction.

On finding that the petitioners were the aggressors, the bench said they could not claim right to self-defence.

"The right to self-defence does not include a right to launch an offensive or aggression. In our opinion, therefore, the appellants have failed to establish that they were exercising right of private defence," it said.

For Advertising mail webmaster
HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Self Defence Extends to Protecting Property: SC

Post by HydNawab » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:16 am

paddy wrote:.

But the force used by a person to protect himself or his property should not be grossly disproportionate to that needed to ward off the threat from the aggressor, a bench comprising Justices D K Jain and R M Lodha said in a recent judgment.

At the same time, the bench said it would be difficult to quantify how much force was justifiable in exercise of a person's right to self-defence.

So if an aggressor has a knife and I have a handgun, to protect myself, I have to dump the handgun and go find a knife to protect myself? Or do I sustain injuries from the aggressor's knife first and then use my firearm? :banghead:
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:25 am

paddy wrote:"The basic principle underlying the doctrine of the right to private defence is that when an individual or his property is faced with danger and immediate aid from the state machinery is not readily available, that individual is entitled to protect himself and his property," it said.
paddy wrote:"The means and the force a threatened person adopts at the spur of the moment to ward off danger and to save himself or his property cannot be weighed in golden scales. It is neither possible nor prudent to lay down abstract parameters which can be applied to determine whether the means and force adopted by the threatened person was proper or not," said Justice Jain, writing the judgment for the bench.
paddy wrote:"The right to self-defence does not include a right to launch an offensive or aggression.
Very confusing statements. :?

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:35 am

Just read it myself. It is good news. :cheers:

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:44 am

HydNawab wrote: So if an aggressor has a knife and I have a handgun, to protect myself, I have to dump the handgun and go find a knife to protect myself? Or do I sustain injuries from the aggressor's knife first and then use my firearm? :banghead:
We give the bloke a firearm and challenge him to a duel :twisted: .
Then again if he's not trained on how to use a firearm, the onus lies on us to properly train him first or we risk 'violating his human rights'.

What will they think of next :roll: ?

regards
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:20 pm

rewarding the criminal and jailing the victim :)
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:25 pm

OverUnderPump wrote:We give the bloke a firearm and challenge him to a duel
not a bad idea at all but in different sequence, first we challenge then give firearm.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:14 pm

Subal das wrote:
OverUnderPump wrote:We give the bloke a firearm and challenge him to a duel
not a bad idea at all but in different sequence, first we challenge then give firearm.
Sorry for going OT,
Situation:
Me: I have two licensed guns (.32 and a .357 revolvers), pick one.
Bad guy picks up the .32
Me: Dude given the strigency of the Arms Act,I didnt have more than 50 rounds on me, of which I spent 49 already.And the last one I have is a .357
Bad Guy: Oh Damn, I need to call the antis or the human rights folks RIGHT NOW.

On a serious note, for those of us who have received PM's please get on the case now. Or else this will become a reality.

regards
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:39 pm

some times ago one friend who lives in US told me about their situation. A lot people from New Orlean relocated by FEMA turn into burglary, that area was affected so badly, so police told to locals, you see this guy on your porch, shoot him, bring to your kitchen, and calls us. That kind of relationships between police and citizens would be an ideal to deal with escalating insecurity in India. And of course citizens should have a lot of GUNZZ.

that is very unlikely going to happen, because as
Babur is reported to have said when cautioned about Delhi Sultanate’s formidable Army, “I have studied the Indians; they never learn from their history’. That was in 1526 AD. Not much has changed, or has it ?
The Enemy Within

Lieutenant General Satish Talwar,
PVSM, VSM and Bar (Retd)*

http://www.usiofindia.org/article_Oct_Dec09_5.htm
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Now why does it sound familiar.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.