Breaking news - Airguns now need license!

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Breaking news - Airguns now need license!

Post by shadow » Tue May 31, 2011 4:21 pm

Dear Comrades,
Am as speechless & heart-broken as each one of you out here. I re-read the judgement several times and have been pondering over it. Was it that the case put forth by respondents was weak OR Was applicants' case presented well by senior counsel member OR Was judicial system strongly influenced by second applicant as is refered to Mrs Maneka Gandhi?

I think its a very smooth VEGAN blend of all the three.

By the time I reached 50% of the document, I actually thought that this must be some kind of a joke which was supposed to be posted in "Humour Section or General Ramblings"

I too attempted of thinking intellegently :idea: & came up with this explaination that even cars boast of projectile & aero-dynamic designs, uses energy to propel and kills more people than by knives & legal/illlegal firearms. But I couldnt stick to it because suddenly realisation set in that for driving a car one needs to be over 18 years and possess a licence... And then I remembered that when I went for my driving test at Andheri RTO, all the officer saw was that I was in the car & signed the papers. No, before you gentlemen hang me dry, I did not pay a penny as bribe... It was just that he was flocked by atleast 100 aspiring riders / drivers.

I thus submit my conclusion stating that "Yes mi lord, we should bring air pistols / rifles etc. under licensing jurisdiction of RTO!" :twisted:

Yes, though at the moment the judgement has been passed in jurisdiction of Delhi, it will soon spread across the country & the legislators will conveniently amend the Arms Act explicitly including "air weapons of any bore" including guns that fall under "toy category". :roll: :evil:

Awaiting to hear from our senior comrades on PoA,

Respect,
Rup
"Tourists are terrorists with cameras. Terrorists are tourists with guns.”

For Advertising mail webmaster
rajiv22
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rajiv22 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:13 pm

This is one more news which proves that India is a worst place for gadget shopping...

In United States, people go to gun shops, pay money and get real firing guns irrespective of license.. No need to talk about airsoft in US.
But here in great India, people are even banned to buy reel/airsoft guns..
:( :?
Last edited by rajiv22 on Tue May 31, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Tue May 31, 2011 5:16 pm

19. The respondents have argued that the air guns/ air rifles or air pistols used for the purposes of target practice are not firearms, as defined under the Act, but merely toys and as such these do not fall under the purview of the licencing regime under the Act. Section 2(e) of the Act defines "firearms":

""firearms" means arms of any description designed or adapted to discharge a projectile or projectiles of any kind by the action of any explosive or other forms of energy, and includes,-

Strange that the air guns are treated as toys.....if one goes through the Arms Act Shedule II "Arms & Ammunition Excluded" it clearly states that airguns, air rifles and air pistols which satisfy the following test..........

The fact still remains that airguns are firearms but have been excluded from the perview of the arms act....so the above point No. 19 is basically flawed/wrong.

After the jusdgement the only option would be going in an appeal to The Supreme Court which probably an association can do
simply impossible for an individual to manage it unless ofcourse he himself is a senior lawyer.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue May 31, 2011 5:30 pm

So according to the new law - an airgun is a firearm so - you can have a total of 3 firearms if you are not a "renowned shot" so it means that you have to choose between having an airgun on your license occupying a slot or give it up.
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

jaz
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jaz » Tue May 31, 2011 5:55 pm

snIPer >>>>>>>>>>>> you are talking guns , man you need a new licence to talk about guns. Our home ministry is going to implement this soon :lol:

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue May 31, 2011 6:03 pm

:-) as of now i'm thinking what will happen to those with airguns - once the order is passed we will have to deposit them in police stations / armouries and then get ONE or two of them back only after we get a valid license.

/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

jaz
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jaz » Tue May 31, 2011 6:05 pm

congress led gov is making scenario verse .

ECHOFIGHTER
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ECHOFIGHTER » Tue May 31, 2011 6:59 pm

Gentlemen,I presume that the number of air guns in India will be anywhere near 8-10 lakh , even if we think conservatively. It would be a herculean effort on the part of the govt to create a tab on them/ maintain records to 'legitimise' them. Any law in India takes eons to take shape/be implemented. I am sure that some solution will surely be thought of.We can propose that the airrifles be registered at the nearest police station. lets hope n pray

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Tue May 31, 2011 9:51 pm

I think it is important at this juncture that all gun enthusiasts rally together and refuse to apply for airgun licence as a matter of principle. It is important that we convince our national shooters to do the same. If and when we/they get called up for contempt of court at a shooting event, we, including our kids with airsoft guns and national shooters should demand to be arrested for the same. This will be a frontpage national news and we will definitely be able to get a platform to expose the closesighted, malicious and mischevious intent of PETA and its cronies. Public will be convinced of the stupidity and onesidedness of the judgement..

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ebenezer » Tue May 31, 2011 10:16 pm

Spoke to Mr Girish Sharma yesterday. Seems they are going in for an appeal in the higher court.
They now need to present a watertight case. I'm sure all of us will contribute in every possible way for our cause.

Ebenezer

Shankar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Shankar » Tue May 31, 2011 11:41 pm

Folks,
This is the time appropriate to rally our MPs who belong to the shooting fraternity to persuade other MPs and bring about a legislation which will bring clarity to the act and once and for all solve all issues related to airgunning.
The far reaching implications according to me is if the Home Ministry acts upon this judgement and prevails on the States to pass rules, all of us will like the Japanese will be left holding AIR SOFT guns ...........Shankar.

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Tue May 31, 2011 11:47 pm

essdee1972 wrote:
Here is a comment posted on indianshooting.com on an article on this issue....

"Awesome, I totally favor it. At least now we won't be seeing pervert teens shooting girls on street and getting away with it."

Thanks for the enlightenment, Fantumfan, I did not know such low IQ creatures could exist and still call themselves part of the human race!

Don't want to comment on the wisdom, or lack of it, of the esteemed judges. But in case of any action to be taken by us, please count me in.

EssDee
And not only that , The post was not made by some one from anti gun community , but from some one who is a well established Air Rifle shooter originally from indore now based in canada . :evil:
Thanks and Regards,
Saptarshi

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:21 am

Dear members,

While it is a sad and disheartening development, may I appeal to all of you to exercise discretion by not making any posts that show disrespect towards our judiciary or undermine its authority.Also, while speaking about the antis, please do not be abusive.Be critical.But not abusive,hard as it might be.Also, please remember that we have to obey the laws of the land whatever they might be.Of course that does not mean that we should cease the fight to amend them constitutionally and peacefully.

Please do your best to support NAGRI and help win this fight.Actions speak much louder than mere words.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:05 am

so what do people in delhi do?
those who own air guns/pistols that is.
To Excellence through Diligence.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:39 am

Friends,
i don't think the judgement said that airguns are firearms ,it was only an arguement.even if so,how do you all think they can organise so many licences ?so forget this and keep enjoying your shooting sports.this is not a judgement against owning airguns.