New Policy On Arms issued - ILLEGALLY!

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
kb100
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: New Policy On Arms issued / implementation

Post by kb100 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:43 pm

captrakshitsharma wrote:hi,
why not really do something about it... let the legal experts make a list of issues and file a petition. let Mr. Digvijay Singh and Mr. Jindal who are active sportsman and NRAI members as well as firearms enthusiasts. a proactive approach would be helpful than just sitting and crying foul...
lets all of us join nagri and proactively voice our concern.

Guess you did not hear - Mr. Digvijay Singh is no more. He passed away on the 24th of June 2010 in London after suffering a brain haemorrhage.
A Closed Mouth Gathers No Feet!

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: New Policy On Arms issued / implementation

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:48 pm

Guys we have our NAGRI now to file the PIL and fight for our rights. Join it it now and give strength to the PIL/petition etc.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: New Policy On Arms issued - ILLEGALLY!

Post by mundaire » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:30 pm

Since I had to outline each of these points for someone via mail today, thought I'd share the same with everyone on this thread - in case anyone asks you for specifics comparing the new amendments with the current law and their negative impact.
Changes being made to the Arms Act 1959/ Arms Rules 1962

Listed as per point no.'s in the MHA order dated 31st March 2010:

ii) Grant of Arms License for Non-Prohibited Bore (NPB) weapons

a) Applications for grant of NPB arms licenses may be considered from persons who may face or perceive grave and imminent threat to their lives, for which the licensing authority will obtain an assessment of the threat faced by the persons from the police authorities.

This is in direct contravention of Section 13 sub-section 3, which clear states:
(3) The licensing authority shall grant---
(a) a licence under section 3 where the licence is required---
(i) by a citizen of India in respect of a smooth bore gun having a barrel of not less than twenty inches in length to be used for protection or sport or in respect of a muzzle loading gun to be used for bona fide crop protection

In legal terms the use of the term "shall grant" means that the licensing authority is obligated to grant the license, unless the applicant is disqualified as per the terms outlined under Section 14 of the Arms Act. Also even a cursory reading of the objects of the Arms Act, make it clear that the Arms Act was meant to ENABLE citizens to own arms UNLESS they are disqualified from doing so (criminal record, of unsound mind etc.). In essence this change would ensure that ONLY VIPs are ever granted licenses.

b) No license may be granted without police verification, which will include report on i) antecedents of the applicant, ii) assessment of the threat, iii) capability of the applicant to handle arms, and iv) any other information which the police authority might consider relevant for the grant or refusal of license. Steps are being taken to delet the proviso to Sec. 13 (2A) of the Arms Act, 1959.

c) The police authorities may be advised to send the police report within 45 days positively failing which the police officials concerned may be liable for action.

In the above point, there is a clear admission of the fact that the MHA's order has PRESUPPOSED parliamentary approval by issuing an order PRIOR to the relevant section 13 (2A) being amended/ deleted by parliament!

The MHA's official line that this is being done to make it mandatory for the licensing authority to wait for the police verification report.
In practice, this section is applied in a minuscule number of licenses applications, and that too when the Licensing Authority is completely satisfied as to the antecedents of the applicant AND the police is taking an inordinate time to send the verification report.

In almost every normal case, the license is NOT issued UNLESS the verification report is duly received. This provision was originally included in the Arms Act, to ensure that the Licensing Authority's power to issue licenses is not diluted by creating two distinct authorities for the same task. Without any penalties being imposed on the concerned police officers, the police will now be able to indefinitely delay an applicants verification report, in effect denying licenses through a process of infinite delay.

A mandatory police report is a positive reiteration of the Arms Act's original objectives, but there must be clearly outlined and strict penalties imposed on police officers who delay sending in the verification report within the stipulated time. Just making an open ended statement like "failing which the police officials concerned may be liable for action", means absolutely nothing and will do nothing to deter corrupt or inefficient officials from harassing applicants. ALSO, the time period in the order was stated as 45 days, but in the proposed amendments, it has now been inexplicably increased to 60 days!

iv) Currently there is no fixed norm for how much ammunition quota is allocated to each licensee (how much he can purchase at one time and how much in the entire year) - this is decided by the licensing authority on a case by case basis. It is meaningless to own a firearm, unless one is proficient in it's use. Needless to say this means that at the bare minimum the arms license holder needs to shoot several hundred rounds each year to learn how to use the firearm effectively, safely & responsibly and also to maintain his/ her level of proficiency. In stead of an arbitrary and uniformly small quota for everyone, a more rational step would have been to first set up a panel of experts to determine how much minimum amount of ammunition is needed by every licensee to properly train with his/ her firearm.

v) Reporting use of Ammunition - currently there is no such provision in the Arms Act or Arms Rules. This seeks to make mandatory for every licensee to PROVE on which date, which place and for what purpose he used each round of ammunition. It is not practically feasible to implement this order and will simply lead to harassment of arms licensees and rampant corruption.

From both points iv) & v) it would seem that the ministry is of the view that arms licensees may potentially sell their ammunition in the black market. While from even a cursory reading of news reports over the past year reveals that black marketing of ammunition is primarily done by smugglers, police personnel and arms dealers. What does the Ministry really seek to achieve by implementing these ill thought out points?

vii) Area validity of arms license - Currently applications for extension of area of validity for an arms license (district/ state/ tri-state/ all India) are being handled by individual States. While applications for district/ state/ tri-state are handled by the local licensing authority, applications for All India Validity (AIV) are handled by the State's Home Department. As things stand today, requests for AIV are not easily granted, but the Home Ministry now wishes to make it impossible - except for a selected category of VIPs & VVIPs!

The Ministry has listed as the ONLY persons to be granted AIV as (i) sitting Union Ministers/ MPs (ii) Personnel of Military, Para Military (iii) officers of All-India Services and (iV) officers with liability to serve anywhere in India, and (v) Sports persons. Everyone else who applies for an AIV, will have to have his application directly approved by the Union Home Ministry - which as we all know will be impossible, except for those with very high connections.

To further ensure that even those who currently hold AIV licenses would be soon loose them and be relegated to district/ state validity licenses, the ministry has stated that AIV shall only be granted for 3 years and would need to be renewed separately each time with due justifications provided by the applicant. In essence perpetuating a class system by creating a recognised "elite" segment of society which would be the only ones able to hold AIV licenses. The irony is, that except for sports persons, all other mentioned categories are currently offered protection by use of government arms or guards - at the tax payers expense. The very same tax payer, whom they wish to disempower and limit his ability to protect his own life beyond the borders of his district/ state!!

No where has the Ministry been able to provide justifications for doing this. When every citizen has the fundamental right to protect his life & property, does the ministry contend that this right ends his/ her district's or state's borders? The restriction on area of validity of arms licenses is a throw back to the British days, when our colonial masters feared that Indian arms license holders may congregate at predetermined places and engage in an armed rebellion against the state. What justification has our democratically elected government got to place the same restrictions on the citizens of a free India? India is a republic and if the citizens decide to replace the government, they don't need to engage in any armed rebellion - they can and will simply vote them out of power!

viii) Renewal of arms licenses - The home ministry wishes to make it compulsory for the antecedents of every arms license holder to be reverified by the police every alternate license renewal cycle (i.e. every six years). Currently there is no such requirement, however if an arms license holder is involved in any criminal case the arms are required to deposited by him for the duration of the case. If convicted, he would necessarily loose his license. Arms can also be forced to be deposited by the police if they fear that personal enmity etc. may lead to violence. The local police is well aware of all the arms licensees in their jurisdiction and this system works quite well. A compulsory reverification every 6 years serves absolutely no purpose, other than to increase the harassment faced by arms license holders and will simply lead to more corruption and waste of police time.
-- 27 Jul 2010 10:31 pm --

Will also (soon) post a scanned copy of the MHA order dated 31st March 2010, obtained via RTI.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:03 am

A very good analysis. Moreover since as per objectives of Arms Act, it is meant to ENABLE citizens to own arms UNLESS they are disqualified from doing so (antecedents and propensities etc.) Then why do police needs 60 days when the same can be obtained from courts records though RTI Act 2005 in 30 days? Is police going to unearth some extraordinary information? And can people be disqualified on basis of just information? Even the applicant himself can obtain it through RTI and submit to the licensing authourity. Why waste the precious time of police, it should be be busy catching real criminals instead. Also there have been various rulings of High Courts that since grant of arms license is related to fundamental rights, they are to be granted to all expect those involved in heinous crimes.
Additionally, in my opinion the creation of database as directed by MHA is also against the intentions of Arms Act, if we read the objects & reasons of Arms Act, and the provision for Census of firearms, it becomes clear that creation of any database or database like records were deliberately left out due to danger to national security if such information falls in wrong hands: http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 899#p99549
Also if database is compromised, we cannot afford to risk national security and have something like Wikileaks scandal done by hackers: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... gence.html
Moreover all over the world, such databases have served no purpose to reduce crime. Criminals either commit crimes using illegal weapons or with stolen weapons. Hence databases serve no purpose. They were abolished in many countries as they were a burden on exchequer. http://gunfacts.info/
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:30 am

I agree. The matters are going further out of hand and I don't think just mailing MPs is going to be sufficient.
Its more critical ... I think we need to gather n decide a strategy for a legal war here n the required funds as well. Lets be open about it .. its gonna take a lot of money.
Not sure we can launch all this just via the online forum .. time to spark the NAGRI engines on ground zero.
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:37 am

NAGRI engines are running, but we need more hands on deck!!! Get more members to sign up and anyone who wishes to volunteer his/ her time please contact us either through www.gunowners.in or mail me directly at wwwadmin [at] abhijeetsingh [dot] com

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Virendra S Rathore wrote:I agree. The matters are going further out of hand and I don't think just mailing MPs is going to be sufficient.
Its more critical ... I think we need to gather n decide a strategy for a legal war here n the required funds as well. Lets be open about it .. its gonna take a lot of money.
Not sure we can launch all this just via the online forum .. time to spark the NAGRI engines on ground zero.
:agree:

we can all help in many ways, so let each one come forward and do you bit for your Country.

YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:48 pm

I'm doing that frm here .. trying to get frnds join NAGRI n send those letter/emails to their MPs .. had sm little success too.
I've changed jobs and am preparing for transit : Bangalore-Delhi.
Would join others in Delhi soon for volunteering, after I relocate (in Aug 1st week).
Will then send the mail to you or gunowners site.

Thanks a lot
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..