Lets write to media

Discussions on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
Biren
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Lets write to media

Post by Biren » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:07 am

Dear All,

There have been news in media about crimes committed using guns, where comman reader is not able to differentiate between crime commited by illegally procured weapons, also the fact that victim could have defended himself against armed attack if he had weapon on himself. For example today on front page of Hindustan Times (1st July 2010) Delhi edition there was this article "Gun crimes spurt across capital".

http://www.hindustantimes.com/tabloid-n ... 65671.aspx

We should write to the newspapers appraising them our viewpoint such as:

- what if the victims owned weapons?
- proliferation of illeagal weapons and criminals having easy access.
- Red tapism involved in procurring legal weapon.
- Choice civilians are left with poor policeing etc.
- Present goverment efforts to restrict weapons with select fews despite the fact that handfull crimes are committed using legal weapons that too becoz in current system money and connection play role in obtaining licence insteed of fair play.

Members can begin with today's article by mailing to "[email protected]". Lets make a habit not to allow such article go unreplied

Cheers,
Biren

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Lets write to media

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:58 am

I have posted a comment at the above link, will also be writing a long and detailed letter also referring the recent High Court judgment(http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=15) to the email [email protected]
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

thomast1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by thomast1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:17 am

sure thing Biren, that could help. Adding on,
Traditional media is very prejudiced in the matter of Firearms and has a single stand, Guns are dangerous!. I think we should try for a modern media approach, i think with the TV Channels, something like the Citizen Journalist might work. :)

The hi-light should be, Statistics
1) No. of crimes using legal firearms vs no. of crimes using illegal firearms.
2) No. of crimes committed against unarmed/ defenseless citizens.
3) No. of civilians who couldn't defend themselves against known threats, due to red tapes in licensing guns.
4) Average delay in procuring license, when applied in the face of immense threat.
5) Policemen available per thousand people for metros and Tier 1 and 2 cities, Average distance from Police in rural areas and average time for them to respond to emergencies (definitely multiple emergencies, Remember the Mumbai Episode, they struck different targets and coordination of Police was not the best).
6) No. of times Police was available on scene to prevent a crime! rather than to take stock! and since they are the legal gun holders they have to answer this. if they have to just do the latter they just need better notepads and pens!

All for underlining this -->
Tax Payers/ Citizens life and his safety should be the nations primary concern, if this fundamental right is to be deliberately delayed or denied, it is just not right!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always had a hunch that the media tendency to call crimes as "gun crimes" and not "ILLEGAL gun crimes" has got to do with the propaganda to keep all these information away from the majority in India. And say every morning "hey you know what, guns; they kill people".. One more reason that validates this hunch is that there has been no major media actions on RKBA, even after getting a 72 hour live coverage of murder and mayhem on innocent and defenseless citizen in Mumbai. If there was one thoughtful/sensible, reporter/freelancer out there, he would wave moved his pen!

The point to be driven home should be that criminals don't take the pain of applying license, wait at Police stations for clearance, or buy arms and ammo in legal limits, they get it when they want it and as much as they want. Now do you want to talk a criminal out of his decision to shoot you or shoot first!

Thomas

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:34 pm

:agree:

And lets mention the scribe who covered the 26/11 attack and said he wished he had a gun instead of a camera at that time.

But beware, this might be yet another case of manipulated journalism where a journalist is asked/made/cajoled/forced to report a story in a manner to suit a certain entity/interest/lobby

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:15 pm

Guys,

Watch this, another victory for RKBA at US Supreme court :-
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/ ... =HTML&GZ=T
Or Refer - Times Of India Bangalore edition's page 16 in issue of Wednesday, June 30th 2010.
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:28 pm

Virendra S Rathore wrote:Guys,

Watch this, another victory for RKBA at US Supreme court :-
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/ ... =HTML&GZ=T
Or Refer - Times Of India Bangalore edition's page 16 in issue of Wednesday, June 30th 2010.
Virendra, the same is already discussed here: http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10127

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:06 pm

oops .... sorry
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:07 pm

:cheers:

-- Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:43 pm --
Biren wrote: We should write to the newspapers appraising them our viewpoint such as:
Done. I did a small piece. Saw a link there to write to the reporter / editor. Plan to write more on the lines of what you've suggested and send it by tomorrow. You are right when you say, we shouldn't be taking this lying down. We need to start showing them that theirs is not the only view.

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.