Hey!

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
stunngun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Hey!

Post by stunngun » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:03 pm

Hi!

I dont see any woman out here and was feeling a bit awkward to make myself visibly noticed out here! Been watching this place since a couple of weeks and must say that it;s fun. I mean, who wouldn;t wanna be amongst the guys! Duh! 8)

k jokes apart! I got no idea about guns but am fascinated by weapons and believe me, if I had a choice and could rewind a few years(maybe more than a few), I would be flying a MIG to say the least!

That;s all, I am indeed at a loss for words! So let me blurt it out! I am even scared to post here, lest I make a fool of myself and this is my first step! :!:

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Hey!

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:29 pm

Hi Stunngun,

As far as I know you are the first lady to join IFG. Congrats, welcome aboard and I hope your presence attracts more of the fairer, or should that be shyer, sex.

Well, what sort of firearms interest you most? Ask away because if you don't you wont learn.

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:59 pm

Hi Stungun,

I am not sure if you are the first lady to join IFG because we have another member by the name of MONA(which is obviously a girl name unless..... :) ) but you are the first lady to post for sure. Welcome aboard and tell us about your interests.....

Have fun here

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:05 am

Stunngun,

Welcome here as a shooter and as someone interested in guns. Mack The Knife is slightly mistaken in listing you as the first woman shooter here - there are three more though they do not post for reasons that only they know. Again, the fact that you are a woman makes hardly any difference to us - you are welcome here as a shooter and you will always be welcome as long as you talk guns and shooting/hunting.

Please note that every single one of us was a beginner sometime. Some of us have more experience than others, and in different areas than others have. What you will always find here is a willingness from the members to answer questions and help. If you are involved in or interested in any particular shooting sport, do post about it. Some of us who are outside India are involved in shotgunning and big bore rifle shooting, Indian members are involved in the various air rifle, air pistol and rimfire rifle and rimfire and centrefire ISSF matches.

Last but not the least, many of us have wives, sisters and even daughters who like guns and shooting and hunting. You may be able to catch up with the ladies if you live close to any of them. Also, if you have a family who are interested in th shooting sports, encourage them to join when you go out shooting. That broadens our fraternity and brings more and more people to this sport that most of us care so deeply about.

Welcome again and psot often,

Mehul

stunngun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by stunngun » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:12 pm

Thanks Mack The Knife! You would see me interacting out here. I am indeed not the shy kinds so I will definitely be posting and asking away!

As far as my presence attracting the fairer sex, hopeso, Mehul;s response to me surely might give them a thought or two! lol

Hey Inder! Guns, knives, cookeries fascinate me. The only time I ever held a gun in my hand was when I was at the beach in Bombay or some college fair to shoot the balloons! Guess what! I missed!

The latest interaction I had about guns was with a friend who owns a webley scott, supposedly a good gun! I can afford a desi katta as of now but then I was told that there is no assurance to it! It might fire backwards! So much for accidents! :shock:

Mehul!

Thanks for the warm welcome or may I say hot? When I joined here, I obviously read the forum for a good two weeks which I did mention in my introduction.... whatever made you think that I am not here to talk about guns/shooting/hunting? :shock:

Moreover, if I am goin to over stay my welcome, I will myself asked to be removed from this site instead of talking nonsense and something which does not relate to this forum. Be sure of that!

I am not involved in any kind of shooting as of now! However it will be in my interest to learn about the art and then the art.

I shall definitely do my best to bring this forum to the notice of as many people who are interested in gunsport!

Last but not the least... Do you shoot from the keyboard if you dont have an actual gun around? :lol:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:05 pm

The only time I ever held a gun in my hand was when I was at the beach in Bombay or some college fair to shoot the balloons! Guess what! I missed!
The next time you go to Juhu, look down the bore and don't be surprised if the barrel is ever so slightly bent. It is done on purpose. Not that it is the only way to make a gun inaccurate. A loose stock screw can achieve the same. Because of such practices people have been hit by pellets.

Always remember the first rule of shooting - SAFETY!

1) Always keep the muzzle (business end of the barrel) pointed in a safe direction.

2) Keep your finger off the trigger until such time as you are pointing at the target.

3) Don't rely on the guns safety catch - it's a mechanical device and could fail - possibly, at the worst possible moment.

4) Make sure you have a safe back stop to stop the projectiles passage once it has hit the target.

5) Always ensure that the gun is unloaded and the action open when not in use. If someone hands you one, don't take his/her word for it, check it for yourself.

There is more but this should suffice for a start.

http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=239

There you go, you are already on your learning curve. :wink:

Have you considered joining the Maharashtra Rifle Association? They have a range at Worli and some of their lady shooters are world champions.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: Please use the word 'weapon' advisedly. Guns (generic term) aren't always used for offensive purposes and I feel that shooters are only making it more difficult for themselves by using this word as it plays into the hands of the anti-gun brigade.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:47 pm

Stunngun

Welcome aboard .I am a great believer in women learning to shoot.If you look at Indian history,its not something out of the ordinary. Infact (though not an example of women using firearm's in any way,but of the martial tradition of women in India) one of the charachters (I think it was Sahiba of the Mirza-Sahiba fame..somebody correct me if I am wrong) had killed a man with a sword,and this is a love story :shock: Woman being good horse riders was not something out of the ordinary.If you happen to visit Nanded and go to the gurudwara there you can see the matchlock of a woman(I have forgotten the name) who had fought along with the last of our Guru's(Gurur Gobind Singh)

Like Mack The Knife said,learning to handle firearms safely is a necessity,but something overlooked in India.Always use ear and eye protection(learnt this after loosing some of my hearing).Despite what Mehul says,people in India do shoot things that go bang instead of phtick . Sorry,forgot that airguns are dangerous :lol:

If you come to my parts of the woods,you can shoot my limited collection of guns.No fine guns though.For that you need to contact Eljefe.The only one here ,from amongst the Indian members, who has a Double rifle.

If you are interested in getting a firearm but don't want to spend a lot of money you can start with a single barrel shotgun.No foreign brand single barrel guns are for more than 15,000/-.Much cheaper than the Diana air rifle that is for sale on this forum.But then these guns are at least 20 years old.

Take care,
penpusher

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:03 pm

stunngun";p="6075 wrote: I can afford a desi katta as of now but then I was told that there is no assurance to it! It might fire backwards! So much for accidents! :shock:
:lol:
Stunngun,

Even if it fires forwards, stay away from a Katta. A Katta / Pipegun/ Tamancha etc is made by unlicenced gunsmiths for criminals only. It is not a product of organization / firm licenced to manufacture firearms in India.

The guy who made you aware about the operational unreliability of the Katta should have also told you about its legal status :evil:

A person found possessing illegal firearm will be in for big time trouble in addition to foregoing of any chance of being granted an arms licence ever.

Sujay
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:53 pm

Stunngun,

My post was a matter of fact one, no need to read between the lines.

As Sujay very rightly advises, do NOT do anything illegal - there is no reason to as it is possible to enjoy shooting legally in India even today. Joining a rifle club is a very good suggestion from Mack The Knife and there are many options to get started in shooting depending on what type of shooting sport gets your interest.

If you go to our Links page, under Guns and Shooting we have permission to link to the Expert Village videos which are a very nice way tog et beginners' instruction in these sports. Find a good coach and get yourself a basic air rifle initially. We have some match suggestions for basic air rifles (not the ISSF match variety) in our non ISSF shooting sports section, modeled on practical rifle matches that some of us shoot in the USA. For a small investment in an Indian air rifle you wuld be ready to go.

For firearms, if you cannot buy them due to license/price reasons, clubs should have them as would members here like penpusher who has offered his guns if you visit Punjab. As far as I am concerned, I have guns in every room of my house and I have happily welcomed members from this forum who have visited to try them out. Hardly ten feet away from my PC are a Remington 1100 20 gauge shotgun, a Winchester 69A rifle, a custom Mauser rifle and a Browning A -5 shotgun. BTW I live outside India - one of the main reasons why we have IFG is our hope that these freedoms could be enjoyed in India itself.

Mehul

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:12 pm

hi stunngunn,
welcome to the forum. Guns is a topic many of my female friends shy away from. But that doesn't mean that women in India don't shoot. Anjali Bhagwat, Suma Shirur, Deepali Deshpande, Anuja Tere-Jung, Tejaswini Sawant ..... Just to name a few ladies who are world beaters from Maharashtra. They perform better than men manyatimes.
Monish
P.S U r welcome to shoot my guns as a guest at the MRA ranges in worli Mumbai.

stunngun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by stunngun » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:22 pm

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the overwhelming response! I just typed a huge reply and as I was about to submit it, the light fluctuation killed my post! Dont have the energy to type again! Will get back laters!

A very stressed,
Me!

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:28 am

Stunngun,

Now that you're posting here, it won't be long before you're completely addicted. :lol: And this is an addiction that is completely harmless - it improves your concentration, hand to eye co-ordination and your competitive spirit if you take shooting up.

Welcome to an asylum for the sane! 8)

Cheers,

Mehul

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:26 pm

Hi Stun gun,
Do you own one? stun gun that is?
I had one many years ago and the only thing i ever had to use it on was a crazy bull (not the amer-indian type but the overfed, abandoned bulls of delhi, who are a menace). I read in the papers yesterday that a blind school student was gored to death here in Delhi-In my case , it was a witnessed self defence act-No, i did not have to go thru any legal process!

No sweat with the exposure to guns-only you'll have to wait until lots of Mack The Knife and maybe a bit of me have finished with doing up the double rifle in Bangalore
I suggest you take up Montys offer post haste -it will be good fun, and you can soon post that you hit a target the size of a 25p coin at 10 m regularly?
Welcome to the madness-drink deep or sip not the pirean spring...
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

stunngun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by stunngun » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:50 pm

I have loads to say here! And I hope I am gonna be able to fit in all or else I will have to use several posts and I hope it wont amount to spamming!

Thanks once again Mack The Knife for the brief lesson! I must admit I ahve not touched the link that you suggested me to go through but I will be at it soon!

I shall definitely use the word weapon from now on and I do understand your concern over it!

I have not mentioned this before but I am basically a Bombayite and now in Delhi since a few years so I dunno if joining the Maharashtra Rifle Association would help me now!

Hi penpusher!

I am not much of a history person though I do read the historical romances where the women shoot, ride horses and it spells so much power!
Horseriding and martial arts(taekwondoo perhaps) is again a passion I will pursue if there is some course which would be closer to my home!

I would definitely take you up on your offer to use weapons you have if I am ever that side!

About buying something now, well, I wont do that! If I get myself a weapon(now using this term is getting a little tough), I might just lose complete interest in learnign to shoot so I shall start with the lesson first before i treat myself to the goodies!

stunngun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by stunngun » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:09 pm

Sujay,

I apologize for getting yuor wrath on me, I had no idea about the katta. I am informed by Abhijeet that I am let off lightly, being a woman, and otehrs have not been so lucky and have been dealt with harshly for the same.

All I can say is sorry.

Mehul!

I am a woman and it is my birthright to read between the lines! Are you really gonna take that away from me? 8)

As I mentioned earlier, I have no intention of doin anythign illegal. You'll just have to take my word for it, as of now!

I will definitely join a rifle club, shooting is shooting so I am not goin to seggregate one from another as of now, particularly when I am just on the thoery part of it! I am impressed with your collection and yes I do hope that the laws were more relaxed when it came to keeping weapons!

And yeah this forum is addictive! I can imagine what will happen to me when I actually start learnign the sport! I have been looking for places where they teach to shoot! My next search destination will be the sports complex near my home! We have some army/airforce people around, so I guess some one should soon come up with a course to train people who want to take this as a hobby!

And thanks for the welcome again! I feel at home in this asylum now!

Hello Monish!

Thanks for the welcome and also for offering me your weapons(duh now that sounds kinky) to shoot with! Wehn I come to Bombay I shall take you up on the offer!