Introduction

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
New licence holder
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Introduction

Post by New licence holder » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:31 am

Dear Brothers and Sisters (if any)
I am Dr. Bharadwaj from Assam. I am a gun fan but dont own any. I recently got my Arms Licence and thinking to buy a IOF pistol. I have been following this forum since long.
Please guide me with your valuable experiences about
1) what to see in a pistol when buying.
2) is it ok to buy directly from a dealer other than applying to the factory?
3) What is the extra amount that i have to pay to the dealer?
4) What modifications are required in the pistol for safety and good handling?
5) Anything else that i have missed to ask..
Regards
Bharadwaj

For Advertising mail webmaster
Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Introduction

Post by Prabhath » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:22 am

Welcome aboard and congrats on your license. The markup dealers tend to have on the IOF products differ from place to place. Talk to a few dealers about the price. Make sure to test fire the pistols before you end up buying it. Try out different pistols and do not settle if only one is available. As far as modifications go........go through different threads on the forum where modification of IOF pistols has been discussed in detail. All the very best.

Saahir
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Saahir » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:49 pm

welcome
SHOOT LIKE A KING

New licence holder
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by New licence holder » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:13 pm

:roll: Thanks everyone. I am now confused whether to buy a revolver or a pistol. Considering the simplicity and less risk factor i almost zeroed to a revolver but someone said it is difficult to conceal carry. And pistols might have jamming issues :roll: :cry: :roll:

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:00 pm

Welcome to the forum Dr. Bharadwaj. You will have to decide whether to buy a revolver or a pistol. The debate about revolver verses pistol is never ending. Finally it boils down to one's own personal preference, the weapon one is comfortable with, that it will fire when needed, and not betray at the moment of need. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages.

For example if the cartridge in pistol misfires, in order to fire the next cartridge, you will have to manually pull the slide to eject the dud cartridge. This may mean nothing for a person who is trained to do this as a matter of unconscious reflex action. On the other hand an inexperienced person may have to "think" about what to do next. In revolver if the cartridge misfires, you have to just pull the trigger again to fire the next cartridge. Trigger pull of pistol is lighter than that of revolver. Magazine capacity of pistol is higher than revolver. Reloading a pistol is usually faster than revolver because you just have to replace the magazine.

As per the experiences of many members on this forum, the quality of IOF products is variable, suggesting quality control issues. You may have to get the product rectified accordingly from some experienced gunsmith. Similarly "foreign made" brands may have their own problems, for examples since their prices are astronomical, chances of counterfeit product is there.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Welcome aboard Dr. Bharadwaj, hope you enjoy your stay here :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein