INTRODUCTION

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
ofbiro
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

INTRODUCTION

Post by ofbiro » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:56 pm

Good day to everybody!

I am the new boy in the block.
I have Indian blood, as my late father was Bengali , but I was born in Italy (not my fault) quite a long time ago, in 1942 to be accurate.
Since my infancy I developed a special passion for weapons, and specially for firearms but, unfortunately my father didn't share it.
It took me many years to discover, while visiting with my relatives in Kolkata, that my grandfather (he died before I was born) was a hunter as demonstrated by a sambar head in my brother cousin flat.
I bought my first firearm when I reached financial independence during my national service (compulsory in that time). It was a Beretta 71 cal .22 LR.
My present "arsenal" consists of
- Benelli Crio Comfort 12 gauge
-Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA in 7 mm Rem. Mag.
-CZ "stutzen" (carbine) in 30-06
-Voere in 7x64
last but not least a combination (side by side) Sodia cal 7x72 (obsolete German cartridge) and 16 gauge, inherited from my late father in law.

Although we complain a lot about firearms law in this country, we are still allowed to possess firearms and to use them.
The area I live in is among the mountains, close to the Austrian border. Here I can legally hunt roe deer (a small european deer, smaller than axis) and chamois (an antelope, somehow related to serow, goral and the american maountain goat).

I wish I didn't bore you with my story.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: INTRODUCTION

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:50 pm

Welcome On Board sir.

Pls share the pics of your Collection.

Regards
Regards

Shivaji

Saahir
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Saahir » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:51 pm

welcome :cheers:
SHOOT LIKE A KING

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:31 am

Welcome to IFG!
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

ofbiro
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ofbiro » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:47 am

Many thanks for your kind words.
All the members are kindly requested to avoid the word "sir" when writing to me. Whatever the age, we are brothers in arms.
I would be glad to send a couple of pics, but couldn't find the way. Please let me know.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:55 pm

go to post Reply---Attachment at the bottom---Select the image through Browser -- add the image.

or else you can copy paste any web link

regards
Regards

Shivaji

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Welcome aboard.......

ofbiro
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ofbiro » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:35 pm

Dear brothers (and sisters, if any)

I succeeded in loading a few pictures.
I haven't many pictures of my arsenal, but just one of my combination rifle/shotgun. Other photos show:
-the Kahles scope; metallurgy experts will realise that the controls are in zinc alloy, because light alloy had not yet, at that time, the quality they have now
-myself with a yearling chamois; it is a funny story (not for the chamois).
Two years ago I had a strange, better, a silly "incident". Due to the rotation system we have for culling, my chamois had to be one yearling (either sex), and I succeeded in seeing one at 220 m, that for us are a reasonable range.
The beast was quietly grazing, kindly showing the side, my position was good (a sort of parapet with by backpack on top) but I saw two crosshairs. I swore against cataracta (operated few weeks later), tried to put both crosshairs on the beast shoulder...and I missed.
More swearing, followed by a check to the scope: somehow I moved the parallax adjustment and crosshair was out of focus. After readjusting the parallax the crosshair picture was reasonably sharp. The friend accompanying me (here you cannot stalk chamois alone), was amused by the mistake. We returned twice to the area and eventually I succeeded in culling the yearling, from the same position and shooting almost at the same place.
Here are pictures showing the beast and the place where it was (the red arrow, visible enlarging the photo, show the spot).
Last, but not least, two photos of the village I live in, in summer and winter.
Regards to all of you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:35 pm

The picture of your village seems to be literally out of a fairy tale story- what a beautiful, peaceful place it must be to stay. Lucky you (y)

nahi
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by nahi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:45 pm

hello to all.

im new here and like reading books in free time.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:56 am

Ohh My.... Your Village can beat any tourist Destination with these pics only. Its more like a Movie shooting destination.
Lucky to be so close with nature.
What is the name of this Place.
Regards
Regards

Shivaji

ofbiro
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ofbiro » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:40 am

First of all, many thanks to Shivaji Dasgupta for instructions about attachements.
The village has to names:
Innichen in German
San Candido in Italian.
Two languages because this small county, belonging to the Austrian Empire till WW1, is mostly inhabited (about 75%) by German speakers.
Tourism is quite important here, and during the high season (e.g. now) the population suddenly grows more than 100%: in low season it is just 4,000 of us, but hotels, pensions and B&Bs offer a total of 4,000 beds.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:57 am

Ofbiro,

Welcome to IFG! That is perhaps one of the most interesting intros we had here. Thank you for sharing the photographs and your hunting experiences. Do share whatever you would consider is worth sharing with our members.

Beautiful photographs, BTW.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."