Season's greetings from a newbie

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
vulcanize
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Season's greetings from a newbie

Post by vulcanize » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:08 am

Hi,
I am in Yankee land and kinda live in the sticks/boonies. Came across this site via google while searching for some information about Indian laws. My bro is a fauji and was cautioning about the prohibited bore in India just in case I was thinking of bringing a piece down at a later stage under TR.
Navigated around a bit and liked what I saw, hence decided to register.
Started with a BB (Daisy Red Ryder 1938) just for fun. I try to follow the Gandhian "non-violence" philosophy, but decided to try a hand at firearms and recently attended a course (weekend of August 15th to be precise).
That progressed quickly and one thing led to another and before long, managed to get my wife also to register for the course. She started with a Ruger .22 and got quickly accustomed to it, so much that she is thinking of trying out for sporting events once she gets enough experience and exposure.
Now she loves going to the range and using her new Glock 19 Gen 4.
I personally love the Sig P229 that I rent at the range but have not made the plunge to buy that yet.
Hoping to stick around here for quite a while and learn more details and specifics as I journey on the path of this new found hobby :cheers:

Wishing you all a very happy and safe holiday season.

Cheers,
SK.

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Season's greetings from a newbie

Post by mundaire » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Welcome aboard Vulcanize, hope you enjoy your stay here! :)

Really happy to hear that both your better half and you have have gotten hooked on to this most addictive of sports :D

Cheers!
Abhijeet

P.S. - I'm guessing you work in the rubber industry/ material engineering? ;)
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:43 pm

welcome and do share more of your stories
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

PeterTheFish
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by PeterTheFish » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:47 pm

Where abouts in Yankee land are you

vulcanize
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vulcanize » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:31 am

mundaire wrote:Welcome aboard Vulcanize, hope you enjoy your stay here! :)

Really happy to hear that both your better half and you have have gotten hooked on to this most addictive of sports :D

Cheers!
Abhijeet

P.S. - I'm guessing you work in the rubber industry/ material engineering? ;)
Thanks for the warm welcome.
And nopes, I work in software consulting for a living. The story of how I came about to use this username goes back a while.
Vulcan was the original choice, but it was taken up in most boards and that's when I thought of putting a spin on it. It is also very surprising that most people were unaware that it is an actual word :D
nagarifle wrote:welcome and do share more of your stories
Thank you. Will try to post more frequently after this hectic holiday season gets over ;)
PeterTheFish wrote:Where abouts in Yankee land are you
Right where "Samuel Colt" started off ;)

vulcanize
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vulcanize » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:15 am

After driving an hour today, went in to the Cabela's store looking for the Sig P229 (.40)

cabelas.com/product/SIG-Sauer-P-Centerfire-Pistols/1374737.uts

and they did not have any in their local library (used section).
So decided to go and look for a new one and that too was sold out :shock:
Anyways, the highpoint of the experience was the attitude of the guy behind the counter was the most annoying part because I asked him to look it up online and see if he could order it for me. He grudgingly checked and then said it came with a 12 round magazine and hence he cannot sell it :roll: to me (the new state regulations require it to be 10 rounds and under).

Decided then and there that it was better to shop elsewhere and give my business to someone else :x because of such crappy attitude. :P

On the plus side, got some good deals - mainly the 20$ off on a total purchase of 100 $ which included 9mm range material as well as a nice laser which I thought was a bargain for 60 bucks. So the drive was well worth for that alone and for the time being, thanks to a grumpy salesguy I saved a grand (yup it is 1000$ for the Sig). :wink:

vulcanize
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vulcanize » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:25 am

Update time.
Hope the new year is treating everyone well.

Life has been very hectic at my end. Just found some breathing space and came home with a .45 ACP spewing Sig 1911 and the P226 in 9mm

Though it is begining to look like an expensive hobby (because it has set me back by about 2300 USD for the pieces, ammo, laser etc.) must admit, can't wait to hit the range and test the babies.

;)