Workout for shooter

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
rahulgaa
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Workout for shooter

Post by rahulgaa » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:57 am

Hi guys, I am Rahul from Mumbai. I want to know daily exercise and gym workout for shooter. Whether should we do either hard muscle or flexible muscle workout? Senior shooter please suggest. I go to gym and do exercise what everybody does.
Rahul

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Workout for shooter

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:11 pm

Biceps,triceps and forearm training,with breathing excercise.
kindly introduce yourself.
regards
dr.jk

rahulgaa
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rahulgaa » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Hello Dr.jk
My Name is Rahul. I m 32 years old. I have started rifle shooting 6 months back. And I m doing well in shooting. I have joined gym for good stamina to hold gun for longer time. In the gym my trainer asks me to do the normal exercise as you said above. But I read some where that shooter should have flexible muscles exercise and not Hard muscles. So I am confused now what to do?

ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ganeshn » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:18 pm

Please share your stats. and your training background.it need not be hardcore but something light to medium intensity.the suggested type of training can be functional to bodyweight types, ofcourse developing a solid core always helps in any sport, which will help to stabilize you body for accuracy and consistency.most muscle groups involved are flexor types so triceps will not be a priority though it contributes 2/3 to the size of the arms, its fine if you hit it as a part of a compound movement.
Hope it helps.

rahulgaa
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rahulgaa » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:43 pm

exactly wat do u want to know sir??

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:39 am

The kinds of physical training and regimen depends on the type of shooting discipline one is aiming for.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/200 ... -shooters/

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/stamina.htm
Developing a Physical Training Program

Physical Conditioning must consist of exercises of a general nature directed toward strengthening the muscles, proper breathing, developing body flexibility and precision of movement. The requirements of marksmanship are such that drills must consist of exercises which develop the muscles and flexor of the arms and fingers, and the muscles of the shoulders and even the waist. A certain amount of static tension (dynamic) type exercise is valuable if it is not overdone. Whenever a shooter exercises, he or she must put the maximum effort into the exercise. Merely going through the motions of an exercise is of no advantage.

Recognize that physical conditioning is a gradual process and results will not be apparent immediately. As your physical condition improves, the number of repetitions may be gradually increased. Be advised that very heavy exercise like serious barbell weight lifting is discouraged as it can create injuries that will hinder your performance more than it will help. I would suggest a program that consists of daily walking and calesthenics accompanied by every-other-day light dumbell exercises as most ideal for our purposes.
http://www.usashooting.org/11-resources ... altraining
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:23 am

Hi Rahul,
> Rule No:1 for a sportsman in any discipline:
" Keep your body muscles 'Supple, Lithe & Defined"
>Never go for Muscle Mass - But for Muscle definition only!
> For sportsman in any discipline he / she needs the muscles to flexible & supple and not like a 'Body Builder's' all bunched & knotted!!!
> The exercises recommended for a shooter are:
1. Push Ups
2. Cat Stretches (Dhands as is known in India) / Surya Namaskar....
3. Chin Ups on horizontal bar with front & reverse grips....
4. Wrist rolling (Tie a 1kg / 2kg) weight to a rope of 6ft long) on one end while the other attached to a one foot long 2' dia Wooden staff & roll it when its held by the palms...
5. Body stretches - front, back, sideways & rotary...
6. Neck exercises (front stretch & rotation clockwise & anti-clockwise)
7. Pranayam (Regulated Deep inhalation & exhalation using right & left nostrils alternately)
> These may sound a bit arduous but in the long run very beneficial... :D
Good Luck!
Briha

rahulgaa
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rahulgaa » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:37 pm

Thanks ck Kalyan. I will go through these portals.
Also thanks to briha will definitely keep this in mind while exercise.

Can any one tell me how much shooting practice should we do on daily or weekly basis?

Daily I do 45 min shooting practice. It is enough or need more time for practice. What is standard duration for shooting practices.

Rahul