New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
Sumita Basu
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Sumita Basu » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:08 pm

Dear Sir,
Myself Mrs. Sumita Basu, recently honored with new membership by your administrative board.
Thanking you for your kind cooperation.
My son who is 9 years old, is very keen to join rifle shooting course.
My query is that, will he eligible to join shooting club? what will be the minimum criteria (age?) for joining there? Our nearest rifle shooting club is Serampore rifle shooting club, Hooghly (as per my knowledge).
Kindly let me know.

Sumita Basu

For Advertising mail webmaster
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: New Member

Post by Safarigent » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:52 pm

Mrs. Basu, allow me to welcome you to the board.
I am sure some knowledgeable members from West Bengal will be able to help you out.
TC is one such helpful member.
All the best for your sons shooting!
To Excellence through Diligence.

AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by AnandNair » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Wecome to the forum Sumita Basu.
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

ankur_ank007

Post by ankur_ank007 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:48 pm

Welcome Mrs. Basu.

There shouldn't be any problem with the eligibility. They may ask your son to take NOC from his school. This is what the procedure is in Ahmedabad. However a member from Bengal can help better.

Regards,

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:03 pm

Hello Mrs.Basu,
the legal age to shoot firearms under supervision of a licensed adult is 12 years. But to take coaching in rifle and pistol shooting, a good starting point is air rifles and pistols. Coaching for these can start as soon as the boy is strong enough to hold and properly aim the air pistol/rifle. Also the coaching generally covers safety aspects in handling guns in general and is a good foundation for any one interested in the shooting sports.

I am taking coaching for myself and my 11 year old son at a newly opened air rifle range in Hyderabad even though I have been shooting since 1988 and my son from 2012.

Membership rules may vary from one shooting range to another.
Regards,
Anand