need help

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
raghava70
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

need help

Post by raghava70 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:43 am

hi friends i am new to this group and sport..i am very much intrested in rifle shooting so i joined in gachibowli hyderabad..they told they will coach only for 10m pistol as there is no stock of rifle there and told that to learn 50m we need to have arms licence.now my question is
1)is coaching really needed for rifle shooting?
2)if i learn pistol will i be able to shoot with rifle?
3)how to get arms licence?
4)they told there pistol cost is around rs.85000.can i get for a lesser price with is good for learning for competitions?
5)i have mastershot 0.177 cal,4.5mm pellets.they told to buy from them which is costly.does my pellets suit there imported pistol as the size and cal is same?

waiting for your suggestions.
Thanks in regards
raghava

For Advertising mail webmaster
AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: need help

Post by AnandNair » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:35 pm

raghava70 wrote:hi friends i am new to this group and sport..i am very much intrested in rifle shooting so i joined in gachibowli hyderabad..they told they will coach only for 10m pistol as there is no stock of rifle there and told that to learn 50m we need to have arms licence.now my question is
4)they told there pistol cost is around rs.85000.can i get for a lesser price with is good for learning for competitions?
5)i have mastershot 0.177 cal,4.5mm pellets.they told to buy from them which is costly.does my pellets suit there imported pistol as the size and cal is same?

Thanks in regards
raghava
Welcome Raghava.
10M rifle / Pistol shooting is a precision sport,and is quiet expensive sport with top of the line match rifles costing around 2 lakhs. But no point in spending money till u find out that u are cut for it. You can easily shoot good with a Daisy Powerline 953 or a Daisy Avanti 753/853. I suggest u train yourself in some basic rifles, take part in a few competitions before planning to purchase a expensive weapon. The IZH 46m is a good and accurate biggeners pistol.

1)is coaching really needed for rifle shooting? = You can be an Ekalvya, but it is Arjuna who went on to become a star. You can read any number of rips on shooting, but i u want to try your hand in competitions, it is better to have a good coach, who can personally give u inputs, tips and monitor your progress.

2)if i learn pistol will i be able to shoot with rifle? = You should actually learn shooting a rifle before you try your hand in Pistol, Pistol firing is much tougher than hitting a target with rifle.

3)how to get arms licence? = There is a lot of rules and regulations for getting an arms licence, but if u are going in for air rifles / pistol, you dont need an licence.

4)they told there pistol cost is around rs.85000.can i get for a lesser price with is good for learning for competitions? = IZH 46M Air Pistol,with Upgraded Trigger which is a famous beginners air pistol will cost you around 45,000 if u import it thru Relish sports or other indian sites. or u can even go for a cheaper IHP pcp pistols which will cost u half of that.

5)i have mastershot 0.177 cal,4.5mm pellets.they told to buy from them which is costly.does my pellets suit there imported pistol as the size and cal is same? = Imported Match grade pellets are a different ball game with carefully controled manufacturing process with each pellet matching the other. They are even hand sorted to weed out any imperfections (you dont want one pellet going stray because of imperfections when u are going for all 10 in scoring ) so they will cost a bit more than a Mastershot or any other Indian pellets. Any ways, every rifle / pistol has their own likes dislikes on pellets and sometimes surprise us by giving better shots even with a low cost pellet. so u should try a few different wadcutter pellets before deciding.

"..they told they will coach only for 10m pistol as there is no stock of rifle" Hey, who is the Firer??? if ur intrest is in Rifle, go for it for you may regret the decision u make now later. go after what intrest you and not what others say as per their convenience.
Happy shooting
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Raghava,
Welcome!
All your quarries have already been discussed in the forum. For more understanding please search. You will learn tons.
First learn safety rules.

With regards to your main question, do you want to shoot for competition or fun (hobby)
Most of us on the forum do not compete in formal competitions.
I would suggest you get a good Indian made rifle and put in some 5000 to 7000 pellets.
By this time you should have settled down in deciding what you want to do.

BTW I stay at Hyderabad but do not go to the range (though it's quiet close to home). I enjoy shooting at a farm.
Much more fun.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:51 am

raghava70 wrote:hi friends i am new to this group and sport..i am very much intrested in rifle shooting so i joined in gachibowli hyderabad..they told they will coach only for 10m pistol as there is no stock of rifle there and told that to learn 50m we need to have arms licence.now my question is

Thanks in regards
raghava
Unfortunately the club you have joined seems to be very restricted in its scope. Speaking of myself I have been a home/garden plinker for 35 years before I joined any club. If you read through this forum and Google for information you can get an idea of how you might be able to set up a small shooting range for yourself where you can practice air rifle shooting with complete safety. Start with an Indian air rifle (I suggest IHP or Precihole) 0.177 caliber and see where your hobby takes you.

Competitive shooting is a completely different ball game from hobby shooting or plinking. The accuracy required by a plinker is far less, but the basic practice is the same. It takes several thousand shots before you even figure out which pellets are most accurate with your rifle. Shooting can be very frustrating if you have a rifle that is inaccurate or pellets that are inconsistent. In general cost of rifles reflect build quality and accuracy. But read the forum posts before you decide to invest.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:08 am

Bennedose wrote...
Competitive shooting is a completely different ball game from hobby shooting or plinking. The accuracy required by a plinker is far less, but the basic practice is the same. It takes several thousand shots before you even figure out which pellets are most accurate with your rifle. Shooting can be very frustrating if you have a rifle that is inaccurate or pellets that are inconsistent. In general cost of rifles reflect build quality and accuracy. But read the forum posts before you decide to invest.
:agree:
Briha

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks in regards
raghava
Dear raghava, welcome to IFG. Now to your concern:

1. 50 m rifle event is with firearms and in general is a good idea to have a firearm license for the same. Why ? You need to purchase ammo and (ideally) your own gun for competitions which is possible only after license. 10 m is purely AIR RIFLE/ PISTOL event for which you do not need to have any license yet. Is coaching really necessary ? Why does a girl with a recipe book open in front of her still ends up calling her Mom "just to check up on something" ? Basic coaching is taken care of by safety and basic shooting course, books, internet. Then can step in the "buddy system" where you team up with a guy or two and then you all watch out for each other. Eventually, when you feel you have moved up the ladder of success you may automatically feel the need for *paid* guidance. To speak for myself, I haven't yet felt that "pay-per-coach" need; IFG buddies step in as my coaches whenever that need arises for me. But then I am not too high up that ladder either. ;-)

2. AP vr/ AR ? Why not ? Simply because you took to writing with a pen did not make you dull with the pencil, right ? :-) But if you are in competitive pursuit then it's better to stick with one type. Why ? Simply the entire "philosophy" of a rifle differs from that of a pistol, though in the end you align the sights and squeeze the trigger in all cases. What I mean to say is that in pistol you are "floating" and "suspended" while in rifle you are "compact" and "grounded". Muscle groups and the way they are used differ in both the cases. In any case, rules prohibit pistol shooter from rifle shooting and vice versa in competition scenario. I faced similar dilemma when I started out. So while I am developing myself as a competitive AP shooter, I shoot AR off and on for sheer pleasure and to break the monotony.

3. How to get arms license ? Well, it all starts with application followed by frustration. For details peruse this forum. All the information with lots of experience galore.

4. Before you invest any amount in any pistol or rifle, take a call based on the following:
a. Are you interested in pleasure shooting aka plinking or competitive shooting
b. Are you inclined towards a rifle or a pistol - there will be no 50-50; a slight inclination will be noticed in either direction
c. To what extent are you ready to invest time and money
d. Are you motivated to investing for competition - then go for a good one, irrespective of the price and that will outlast you

Use the same for practice and competition. 85K is a fair price for a good PCP pistol. IZH Baikal 46M is also a good one at half the price but with recorded problems of piston seal and its lack of availability. While choosing an AR, make sure that it's got peep sights as open sights are now out of favor and flavour. In case you bring in an imported also make sure that it measures to standard competitive specifications as given in ISSF/ NRAI handbooks, including end-to-end length and the muzzle velocity. IHP PCP at roughly quarter the price is a good AP/ AR to start with, especially if your finances are measured and some amount of uncertainty exists. It's good enough to let you practice and qualify for GVM and even the nationals. You can always "upgrade" later based on your benchmarks.

5. MS .177 FH are good pellets and then again they are bad pellets. I use MS (yellow box) in my FWB P34 regularly for practice and they shoot and group fine for me; but they don't work that good with another IFGian's pistol. But by and large they are good for prax and can be used in any AP for starts. For championship competitions, folks typically go for H&N Finale Match or RWS R-10 which are Olympic grade pellets with prices to match. Don't let peer talk discourage you or peer pressure force you into buying top end pellets for just about everything; unless you have finances to spare generously. :-)

So good luck - wish you safe and happy shooting. :cheers:

regs
A.

TheThirdEye
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by TheThirdEye » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:29 pm

DIY - Pellet Manufacturing Mold: