Hello from California!

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
Felipe
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Hello from California!

Post by Felipe » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:34 pm

Hello Indians and gun owners everywhere who are reading this. I'm greeting you from California. We have a situation that is a bit similar to India: gun rights and gun ownership are unknown to many Californians. The solution is to teach more people how to shoot and the importance of it. Here's a link to our California site: http://californiaccw.org . We even have an Asia gun rights forum, but it's not too active.

Anyway, it's great to see this forum and I wish you best of luck in gun rights reform in India.

And I leave you with a Youtube link to some cute Bollywood dancing practice:

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:38 pm

Welcome aboard Felipe,

There are a few members from CA here too... am sure they'll find this thread soon enough and post their own welcomes... :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:00 pm

Welcome aboard, Felipe.Thanks for stopping by and dropping those cheering words.Take care and do post here often.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Hello from California!

Post by Risala » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:27 pm

Felipe
Welcome to IFG.
Which part of CA are you located.
Have family,friends and an off in the Bay area,do pop by now and then.
Best
Sanjay

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:30 pm

Hey welcome to the forum and thanks a lot for the intro.

Please post often.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:57 pm

Hi Felipe,

Welcome aboard and here's to your efforts of getting concealed carry introduced into California.

Mack The Knife

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:59 pm

Welcome aboard Felipe :D

Saptarshi
Thanks and Regards,
Saptarshi

Felipe
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Felipe » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:00 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm in Los Angeles, the most glamorous city in California. With lots of traffic too.

Yes, we're working on shall-issue. It's not an easy fight here, but we must do it.

How does carrying a gun work in India? Is it possible for a middle-class Indian to get a permit to carry? I know it's possible for upper-class people almost everywhere in the world; they can get permits here in Los Angeles but middle class people cannot.

Here's a story about carrying in Pakistan:

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/a ... rent_id=23

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:34 am

Felipe

Welcome aboard

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:13 am

Hello Felipe,

Where are you in LA? I travel to the city often and usually stay at Eagle Rock.

Hope to participate in one of the Double Rifle Shooters' Society get togethers which are planned for the LA suburbs this year.

Felipe
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Felipe » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:12 am

mehulkamdar";p="16301 wrote:Where are you in LA? I travel to the city often and usually stay at Eagle Rock.
Hi Mehulkamdar, I'm in a very famous part of the city! If you're in town, drop me an email or a PM and I can show you some interesting parts of town that would not be normally seen by a tourist, and of course we could organize a "welcome to LA" shooting range day. I'm not on this forum very much; my usual hang-out is http://californiaccw.org. Anyway, it would be great to meet up with some IFGers if you are in my 'hood.
Hope to participate in one of the Double Rifle Shooters' Society get togethers which are planned for the LA suburbs this year.
I didn't know anything about that. That sounds a bit cowboy to me. I'm more into the semiauto pistol thing, but of course part of that is because there's no rifle range anywhere near me.

Anyway, back to my question: I looked at the "laws" forum here and saw some info about getting a permit to own a handgun in India. It depends on the police chief, etc. But what about a permit to carry a concealed handgun in India? Does a permit to own allow you to carry? Here in California, it's no problem for anyone with a clean record to own a handgun, but it's very difficult to get a permit to carry one. In most of the US, anyone with a clean record can own a gun, and if you go through the process (training, background check, fingerprints) you can also get a permit to carry it concealed. But in California, the police authorities can say yes or no, and so the process is corrupt and racist as you would expect.

Just wondering how it is in India.

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:44 am

HI felipe,u r welcome
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:02 am

Felipe,

Welcome to the forum.To answer your question on concealed carry in India:-Before a person can posess a firearm he/she has to obtain a license for it.The license itself provides the licensee the right to carry a firearm, with certain restrictions for eg.a licensee can't carry a firearm into an educational institution ever or in a public place when orders prohibiting the carrying of firearms has been imposed.No seperate permit is required to carry a firearm.

penpusher

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:41 pm

Felipe,

The DRSS shoot is a heavy calibre shoot for hunters with African rifles. It is fun and I have been to shoots in Wisconsin before but not one on the West Coast, that is why I hope to attend this year's shoot.

As penpusher (who is the most knowledgeable member on the forums WRT Indian laws) says, a license in India is automatically a license to carry. Indian law does not make a distinction between ownership and carry permits like some states in the US do.

I'll look forward to meeting you sometime and likewise, if you visit Chicago, do let me know and we'll get together. Shall visit the California CCW website later today.

Cheers!

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:33 am

Felipe,

Greetings and welcome to the forums here! I am sure you will find this to be an enjoyable forum.

Feel free to post here!

Mark
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947