Another of Grumpy's teasers

Post all jokes/ quizzes/ teasers/ 'identify this' type of posts here
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Another of Grumpy's teasers

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:42 pm

Posting the following on behalf of Grumpy:

"OK, you kindly offered to upload pictures for me so I`ll take advantage. Here`s a stinker. Might as well post it under shotguns because that`s what it is.
The specific gun to be identified is the bottom one of the selection although it`s pictured individually a couple of times as well. Ask members to hazard a guess as to its` age as well. People can have a go at identifying the rest of the bunch if they like. There are plenty more for future occasions but this one ought to run for a while."

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:30 pm

I thought i'd initiate my acute case of foot-in -the-mouthitis yesterday, wonder what happened to the post? Rigby, 1890-1900?
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

penpusher

Re: Another of Grumpy's teasers

Post by penpusher » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:04 pm

Jag.....& C,thats what I think is there on the receiver or what I can make out,or I think I can make out.

penpusher

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:19 pm

You`ve got good eyes penpusher !
The name on the gun is that of a Glasgow gunmaker who didn`t build the gun, he just retailed it. So that won`t help at all.
Would anyone care to hazard a guess as to when the gun was built ?
The rest of the group is up for identification as well. One of them is pretty obvious and one very rare - the most expensive boxlock I`ve ever bought.
Ignore the hammer gun as that`s just a typical Birmingham trade gun.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:26 pm

The third from the top seems to be a WW Greener.Owned one.Selling it was the one of the stupidest things that I have done... so far.That and giving a Stevens/Savage 12 bore to a fellow I had no idea about how he was as a gunsmith,for repair.Had to sell it afterwards.

penpusher

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:29 pm

Grumpy,

Am I allowed to participate here? :D I do wish I had one of those... The present owners of the name would do themselves immense credit if they brought it back.

Cheers!

Mehul

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:46 am

Yes, the middle gun is a Greener FH50 `Facile Princeps` - That`s the obvious one. The gun might well be going to Greeners by the way.....if they pay enough. Nice gun.....like all Facile Princeps. I don`t think that I`ll even ask why you sold yours penpusher.
If I could find a Royal G60, G70, G90 or Imperial at a sensible price ( ie. Cheap ! ) I don`t think I`d bother to keep any sidelocks.
Of course you can join in Mehul - I think that you`ve only seen one of this group before - that`s the rare one, second from the top. Thinking about it, quite a few people on this forum have seen the gun before.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:42 am

Grumpy,

The last one looks like a Woodward The Automatic. I wish theyw ere available today - Symes and Wright planned to build some before the business, sadly, closed down.

Cheers!

Mehul

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:37 am

It does look vaguely like a Woodward Automatic doesn`t it ? That hadn`t occurred to me before. It isn`t though.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:18 am

Grumpy,
Why's a shotgun with a pistol grip stock rare-excuse me for asking but I know zilch about shotguns.
Best
Axx

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:44 am

Asif, don`t be too puzzled. A side by side shotgun with a pistol grip isn`t that uncommon - the gun is rare because it was built by a very good gunmaker who didn`t make too many shotguns - he was primarily a rifle maker. Quite an elderly gun as well - it was built very close to 1896.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:48 am

The gun featured has `snap-forward` underlever opening and is a 16-Bore sidelock. It is the second version of this patent gun - the original used a trigger-plate action - and was built in the mid-1880s.
It was designed by a very good provincial gunmaker and his foreman. The gunmaker built rifles as well as shotguns, designed rifle cartridges and was the foremost long-range shot of his era.
How`s that for a set of clues ? !

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:59 am

Grumpy,

A W J Jeffery made by H Leonard?

Mehul

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:47 am

I can see your reasoning Mehul - re the cartridge design anyway. I`m not too certain that Jeffrey actually ever built any shotguns and don`t know if he had any gunmaking patents to his name.
I`ve been saying for years that Jeffrey didn`t make any of the double rifles that bear his name and have taken a fair amount of abuse for doing so - in light of the information re Leonard that emerged earlier this year I now feel smugly vindicated !

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:40 pm

Grumpy,
I just added another reason for owning that Jefferey.Foremost shot of his time? Great news...I guess that shotty is about as old as my 450/400-the address on the barrel-king street is , I've read circa 1890's?
Best
Axx