Another of Grumpy's teasers

Post all jokes/ quizzes/ teasers/ 'identify this' type of posts here
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Another of Grumpy's teasers

Post by Grumpy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:22 am

Um. no Asif. Sorry. The gun isn`t a Jeffrey and Jeffrey wasn`t the expert long range shot. I just meant that I could understand why Mehul might think the gun was a Jeffrey because although Jeffrey didn`t actually make too many guns ( if any ) he did design cartridges.
The gun shown was made by a provincial ( ie Not London ) gunmaker who actually built and designed guns - and cartridges - and who was a fantastic long range shot - particularly famous for one record breaking event.
You ought to know Mehul - you`ve been talking very recently about a rifle chambered for one of this mans cartridges......a bit of a monster !

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:40 am

Oh my, not even warm 8)
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:13 am

Never mind Asif.......seems like you`re depressed - no abbreviations !
8) might not be warm but is s**t hot !

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:31 am

Right on!
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:52 am

Grumpy,

I think I've got the answer with your last clue - a George Gibbs. Must be a really rare gun - it is lovely!

Cheers,

Mehul

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:20 am

Grumpy";p="5410 wrote: The gun shown was made by a provincial ( ie Not London ) gunmaker who actually built and designed guns - and cartridges - and who was a fantastic long range shot - particularly famous for one record breaking event.
You ought to know Mehul - you`ve been talking very recently about a rifle chambered for one of this mans cartridges......a bit of a monster !
George Gibbs, son of the founder, was a crack shot who represented England and who once scored 57 consecutive bullseyes in front of King Edward VII in 1909. :wink:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:23 am

Grumpy,

Are I M Crudgington who now own the Gibbs name making any guns? I tried checking on the IGC but couldn't log in. Must be another update of the forum software there. And then I realised that you would be the best person to ask anyway.

Mehul

PS Vikram, good to see you back.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:13 am

Thanks Mehul.Been busy with sundry things.Been reading all the posts before I went to sleep all these days.Take care and will mail you soon.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:36 pm

It was designed by a very good provincial gunmaker and his foreman. The gunmaker built rifles as well as shotguns, designed rifle cartridges and was the foremost long-range shot of his era.

Was it Henry Pope?
or Wilhelm Brenekke perhaps?
I know that pope was a barrel maker and a great shot.

Monish

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:05 pm

Yeah, George Gibbs of Bristol. The gun is a second type Gibbs-Pitt patent 16-Bore with a sidelock action and snap-forward underlever opening. Rebarrelled by Holland and Holland at some time. The first type had a trigger-plate action - Ka`imiloa has one of those ( with a bulged right chamber ! )
George Gibbs was an absolute genius when it came to shooting, as I said, the best long range shot of his era.
Crudgingtons of Bath still own the Gibbs name but I doubt they are still having guns made - with his name or their own.
Robin Brown once told me that in the early 1960s Browns made guns for Crudgingtons with both the Gibbs name and I.M.Crudgington. The guns were exactly the same but Crudgingtons charged more for the guns with George Gibbs name than they did for those with their own name.