ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Gunpowder - Homebrew!

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:54 pm

How to cook up delicious Gunpowder at home - South Indian style:

By Vahchef - Sanjay Thumma

[youtube][/youtube]

Milaga podi is made with a perfect blend of spices using red chilies, urad dal, chana dal, hing or asafoetida, black pepper and a little rice. Besides pickles, podis are another form of spicing up many dishes and the mother of all podis (powders) in South Indian Cooking is gunpowder - Milaga Podi from Tamil Nadu.

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup - Chana dal
    1/2 cup - Curry leaves (optional)
    1 pinch - Hing (Asafoetida)
    1/2 cup - Peppercorns
    8-10 cup - Red Chilli (Whole)
    1/2 cup - Rice
    3/4 cup - Urad Dal

Directions:
  • * Dry roast red chillies till they're well done (not blackened, aromas rise and you start coughing). Add rice & chana dal & roast some more.
    * Add whole pepper & urad dal. Stir continuously & cook on low heat till they get golden brown.
    * Add curry leaves & hing (asafoetida), mix well. Switch off the flame but continue to stir.
    * Allow it to cool down before blending.
    * Add mix to the blender & grind it into a coarse powder.
    * Add salt to taste & its ready to use.
Very Versatile:

* Can take many types of Ammo including but not limited to: IDLY (Rice, Rava, Oats) DOSA (tubular - longrange pancake), Slug, Ball, Buck etc.,
** Can be used in conjunction with other semi-liquid/liquid propellants for added effect like, CHUTNEY (Green/Red Chilli, Coconut, Peanut), SAMBAR loaded with various veg shot of different sizes.

Usage / Warning / Declaration:
  • * Hot Load; grain measurements are discrete suggestions only. Use at your own risk.
    ** Suggested only for muzzle loading.
    *** Varying barrel makes, types, lengths, twists may produce unforseen after-effects.
    **** For use by Nitro Fire Proofed personnel only (Exemptions: Nagaland, South India, New Mexico)
    ***** Creator of recipe cannot take responsibillity for any unforseen duds, misfires, stovepipes, hammer follow, double feeds (Esp. Type 3 malfunction), hang fires, squib loads, slam fires, FTF, FTE, case head separation and other miscellaneous disasters not mentioned here.
ENJOY! ROTFL

P.S. Suggested partners while cooking up the brew - your closest enemies help make the best ingredients!
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

For Advertising mail webmaster
StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Gunpowder - Homebrew!

Post by StampMaster » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:21 pm

ROTFL Nice post.

There is a home made powder made to sprinkle on idle and masala dosa in Hyderabad (and in southern India) they call that masala GUNPOWDER.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:24 pm

ckkalyan wrote:How to cook up delicious Gunpowder at home - South Indian style:

By Vahchef - Sanjay Thumma

[youtube][/youtube]

Milaga podi is made with a perfect blend of spices using red chilies, urad dal, chana dal, hing or asafoetida, black pepper and a little rice. Besides pickles, podis are another form of spicing up many dishes and the mother of all podis (powders) in South Indian Cooking is gunpowder - Milaga Podi from Tamil Nadu.

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup - Chana dal
    1/2 cup - Curry leaves (optional)
    1 pinch - Hing (Asafoetida)
    1/2 cup - Peppercorns
    8-10 cup - Red Chilli (Whole)
    1/2 cup - Rice
    3/4 cup - Urad Dal

Directions:
  • * Dry roast red chillies till they're well done (not blackened, aromas rise and you start coughing). Add rice & chana dal & roast some more.
    * Add whole pepper & urad dal. Stir continuously & cook on low heat till they get golden brown.
    * Add curry leaves & hing (asafoetida), mix well. Switch off the flame but continue to stir.
    * Allow it to cool down before blending.
    * Add mix to the blender & grind it into a coarse powder.
    * Add salt to taste & its ready to use.

Usage / Warning / Declaration:
  • * Hot Load; grain measurements are discrete suggestions only. Use at your own risk.
    ** Suggested only for muzzle loading.
    *** Varying barrel makes, types, lengths, twists may produce unforseen after-effects.
    **** For use by Nitro Fire Proofed personnel only (Exemptions: Nagaland, South India, New Mexico)
    ***** Creator of recipe cannot take responsibillity for any unforseen duds, misfires, stovepipes, hammer follow, double feeds (Esp. Type 3 malfunction), hang fires, squib loads, slam fires, FTF, FTE, case head separation and other miscellaneous disasters not mentioned here.
ENJOY! ROTFL
P.S. Suggested partners while cooking up the brew - your closest enemies help make the best ingredients!
Hi CKK,
> Wish you had added that the "Authentic Gun Powder Recipe" was invented by the "TAM BRAHMS" of southern India several centuries ago :D
> Your "PS" is appropriate to all those trying it out at their own 'peril'....
> This takes me back to 70's when a friend from overseas was on a holiday in Mumbai & insisted on trying out the "Gun Powder" ...
> With the best of intentions I took him to "Madras Cafe" in Kings Circle and ordered an 'Uthappam' with Gun Powder....
> After he spooned 2 mouth-fulls all hell broke loose....as the poor fellow began turning 3 shades of purple in complexion and asked for a Turkish towel to swab the sweat that was pouring down his face :roll: :roll: :roll:
> A quick retreat to near by Koolar Restaurant & several ICE Candies brought him to near normal...
> But what I admired about this 'Dare Devil' was that - He vowed to come back someday and settle scores with the "Gun Powder" & without the help of Turkish Towels or Ice Candies ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:47 pm

LOL good one Briha-ji! :lol:

Your friend sure is a bold adventurer! I had a similar experience with the supposedly 'super cool' cucumbers in and around Cubbon Park, BLR; after downing a few generously doused slices (with green chutney) I had to rush post haste across the heavyly traffic-ed road to the icecream stall! I was able to cool off after a few lollies! :lol:

I sort of guessed the Tam-Bram connection a while ago, I was blown away by the area in BBY, Matunga when I visited many years ago - I was taken back in time to another familiar place (Palakkad) - brilliant! :mrgreen: An amazing experience for sure!

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:35 pm

Kalyan Da,

Thanks for the HOT post :D

You will be happy to know that I have been merrily pouring gunpowder down the throat for years and its quite an addiction by now, thanks to my friends from down South who have now made Kolkata their home. All kinda of homemade stuff is sold at a place called Lake Market (with a big population of people from Tamil Nadu and Kerala) just 10-minute drive from my home :D

Now imagine me on official assignment to places such as Madras, Coimbatore, Vizag, Kozikode, Hyderabad.. et al over the years.
There were days when I had lunch with two plates of rice, Rasam, three bowls of fresh curd and adequate doses of gunpowder .... slurp.. slurp.. slurp.. :wink: .... the perfect hand to mouth delight :D

Breakfast with half a dozen idlis with gunpowder followed by two cups of kafi !

Long live the gunpowder

:cheers:
TC

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:00 pm

LOL TC - thanks very much - I am glad you and Briha-ji enjoyed the narration! I was beginning to get worried about my 'reporting' skills getting a bit rusty - thought I would give it a bit of a whirl with steel wool (South Indian Ish-tyle)! :lol:

I am totally floored by a tiny kid here (a friend's son) who insists on calling it SAM-BAR (I know for sure he doesn't mean the deer variety) with a N. American accent - it sprouts a wide smile on my face every time! :lol:
.... slurp.. slurp.. slurp.. :wink: ....
Oh yeah :agree: absolutely! When I am in South India all my meals are TIFFIN with Idlis, Dosas, Upma, Uttappam (etc, etc), and S/S buckets full off fiery Chutneys and Sambhar for breakfast, lunch and dinner! It is amazing that these joints are open day and night 24 Hrs esp. in Madurai (the city never sleeps!). Love it, dream of it all the time!

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Love it, dream of it all the time!
Kanyan Da,

Plan a road trip and I will join you :D
One of my guns is endorsed in all-India licence. We can take are of all the yanna raskalaas with a little inspiration from Lord Rajnikanth :lol:

:cheers:
TC

PS: Last time I was in Madras I had lunch in five different "Madras Tiffin House" s but the food in all the places was equally yummy :D
The cheapest, tastiest and healthiest food on earth .... any day.

In Kolkata the lady and I have our lunch or dinner at least once a week at Banyan Leaf, winner for five consecutive years of The Telegraph Good Guide Award, or Udipi or Komala Vilas or Prema Vilas
Oh ! this thread has put me on the trip :P

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:20 pm

After he spooned 2 mouth-fulls all hell broke loose....as the poor fellow began turning 3 shades of purple in complexion and asked for a Turkish towel to swab the sweat that was pouring down his face :roll: :roll: :roll:
> A quick retreat to near by Koolar Restaurant & several ICE Candies brought him to near normal...
Unfortunately that happens to me too. I so rarely eat any spiced food that when I do I just break out in a real sweat.
When I am in South India all my meals are TIFFIN with Idlis, Dosas, Upma, Uttappam (etc, etc), and S/S buckets full off fiery Chutneys and Sambhar for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
You can get all kinds of North Indian food in this area but South Indian food is very hard to come by. I haven't had an Idli or Dosa in years.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:03 am

This is what you meant?
regards
dr.jk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:29 am

It could also include roasted split chick pea instead of rice and curry leaves.
The spiciness is tempered with gingelly oil and in Andhra with ghee.
Injudicious applications on the muzzle end could lead to disastrous and quick response from the breech end.
Regards
C.Sudhakar

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:10 pm

sudhaiob wrote:It could also include roasted split chick pea instead of rice and curry leaves.
The spiciness is tempered with gingelly oil and in Andhra with ghee.
Injudicious applications on the muzzle end could lead to disastrous and quick response from the breech end.
Regards
C.Sudhakar
:agree: :cheers:

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:41 pm

xl_target wrote:
I haven't had an Idli or Dosa in years.
Xl_target,
Blistering Barnacles!!! - Bro, you've been missing out on such delicacies for no fault of yours :D
Pray do let me know your plans to visit Mumbai, Chennai or Kolkata in the future, rest assured we'll treat you to these ambrosia repasts till kingdom come :D :D :D
Briha

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:48 pm

The funny thing about this gunpowder is that it is loaded from the muzzle but the explosive power is felt in the breech. Usually the next morning.

Harish Asnani
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Harish Asnani » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:02 pm

Very interesting read, gun powder that has great influence over the muzzle & breech ;-)