Welcome to Canada!!!

Post all jokes/ quizzes/ teasers/ 'identify this' type of posts here
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Welcome to Canada!!!

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:33 am

Canada seems to be having one of the coldest winters ever....
To those who do not know how intense it is....the cartoon below should give an idea :D
Briha

For Advertising mail webmaster
Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Welcome to Canada!!!

Post by Hammerhead » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:42 am

You want me to post berometeric picture, wait for morning. Close to -30°C in morning.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:01 pm

Make sure you keep it up there.
Don't want any of that stuff down here.
It is -22 C down here right now.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:55 pm

xl_target wrote: Make sure you keep it up there.- Don't want any of that stuff down here.
It is -22 C down here right now
ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:59 pm

Brihaji,
Typically our weather comes out of the west, with winds blowing towards the east.
However, we get some of our coldest weather from the winds blowing out of the Canadian interior.
In the winter, we get "Alberta Clippers", which are strong cold winds that come whistling down from Canada. When that happens, the temps really take a dive.

Alberta Clipper

When a Clipper meets warm moist air coming from the south... Boom! ...we get snow over Minnesota.
See that little black thing under where the two systems meet? That is the outline of the state of Minnesota.
Of course, it is always easier to blame the Canadians for our misery :).
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:56 am

Eh?!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:40 am

Ok Guy's.

You guy's are only talk.This is what we got in last 24 hrs.It's -17C when I took these pictures.

Xmas tree.

Now we (Canadian) going to send this storm to our friends in US. :wink:
Enjoy
Baljit

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:07 am

Now we (Canadian) going to send this storm to our friends in US. :wink:
No No No, you keep that stuff up there.
I don't want to spend the whole day shovelling.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:01 am

Now I know "Why Bears Hibernate" ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:39 am

You guys won't listen. You are too generous.
I told you not to share that stuff with us down here and now here it is; another Alberta Clipper.
A Blizzard Warning remains in effect until 3 am CST Friday.

Timing: widespread blowing and drifting snow with Whiteout conditions continuing this evening.
Main impact: northwest 30 to 35 mph with frequent gusts to 50 mph leading to blowing snow and visibility reductions.
Other impacts: Wind chills falling to 25 to 30 below late tonight into Friday morning.
Lows are going to be -8 deg F (-22 deg C) and that is before the windchill.
I left work early so I didn't have to drive in the dark.
Shortly after I got home, the wind picked up even more and they closed the highway.

Below is a video of the last couple of minutes of my drive.
It wasn't too bad till I got in the open areas where the snow was blowing all over. Then it was down to one white line visible at at a time.
Pardon the audio track, the defrost was on full and it made a huge racket running over the microphone.

[youtube][/youtube]

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:52 am

That's tough winters My Friends , especially for Baljit.
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:15 am

xl-target wrote:
Below is a video of the last couple of minutes of my drive.
It wasn't too bad till I got in the open areas where the snow was blowing all over. Then it was down to one white line visible at at a time.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....that was the coldest 'virtual drive' I've ever experienced :D
Hats off to you guys for going through such abominable weather conditions!
Thanks for sharing your experience....Now I understand your request to Baljit & Co. for not passing on the 'chill' ROTFL
Briha

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:01 pm

captrakshitsharma wrote:That's tough winters My Friends , especially for Baljit.
It's OK for Baljit. He's big and strong.
Not only that he's got kids at home to do the shovelling.
Me, I'm just a little guy.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....that was the coldest 'virtual drive' I've ever experienced :D
Hats off to you guys for going through such abominable weather conditions!
Thanks for sharing your experience....Now I understand your request to Baljit & Co. for not passing on the 'chill' ROTFL
Briha
Briha,
Luckily the car I was in has a good heater.
As for asking those guys not to send that stuff down, as you can see they paid no attention to me. :)

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:28 am

Hahahaha, if we are going to through these kind of weather , how cloud you think you are not going to see this ?
After all, we are friends and friends always share good and bad thing. ROTFL

Baljit

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:27 am

xl_target wrote:
captrakshitsharma wrote:That's tough winters My Friends , especially for Baljit.
It's OK for Baljit. He's big and strong.
Not only that he's got kids at home to do the shovelling.
Me, I'm just a little guy.

. . .

Luckily the car I was in has a good heater.
As for asking those guys not to send that stuff down, as you can see they paid no attention to me. :)
My rule was always this: If you live where you never have to block your radiator with a piece of cardboard in order to get the engine warm or to use the heater, you do not live in a cold place.

When we lived in Montana, during the winter I would block off the radiator on my 454 Chevy truck, or it would never warm up. Older big V8s had so much coolant in them that they would never warm up without the radiator being blocked.

2 years ago in New Mexico, we came back to Taos from my old Boss's ranch in Southern Colorado in our old Honda. Hondas are really good for cold weather, because they have very little coolant in the block. The blocks are die cast and unlike the old sand casting of USA V8s, they can shape the outside of the block around the cylinders so that only a small sheet of water surrounds each of them. Consequently, the engine will warm up very quickly, but because the cooling system is engineered right, the car won't overheat on the hottest of days with the A/C on.

Anyway, we were driving home around 2am. We had come back to Al's house from the restaurant at 10pm and his car thermometer read -28º C. It was a lot colder when we left four hours later. Driving down US 285 by Mt. San Antonio, it was so cold that the defroster couldn't keep the windshield completely clear. The temp gauge did show that the engine was hot, but it couldn't have been too hot, since the windshield wasn't kept clear and we had to resort to scraping the inside. We could have used a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator that night!

Thank goodness, I saw the cow elk on the highway in time to slow down -- actually, I saw their eyes.

So, that is COLD to me - brrrr.

The trouble out there for you folks in the flat lands is that there's nothing to stop the wind. It blows hard and pretty constantly, too.

My question then, for those who live in a "cold" climate: do you block your radiators?
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman