I'm sick of this!

Post all jokes/ quizzes/ teasers/ 'identify this' type of posts here
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: I'm sick of this!

Post by xl_target » Sat May 18, 2013 7:22 am

Those might be good examples, Grumpy.
Really though, I can't find one doggone thing wrong with this one.

[youtube][/youtube]

True Story:
My gun club sold calendars for $20 for a chance to win one (or multiple) of 52 different guns. That's correct! One a week.
The guy who runs the drawing called me last night.

Him: Hey, you won one of those guns in the drawing last night
Me: No kidding?
Him: No, No, not at all.
Me: That's, for sure, different (the "for sure", going above and beyond the perfectly economical "that's different", conveys extreme excitement. Especially if the pitch is raised just a tad).
Him: Well, you deserve it
Me: Thanks
Him: You bet!

In Minnesota, you wouldn't jump around and wave your arms and shout. "I won, I won". That would just be plain wrong and people would look at you funny. They would dismiss you and say, "Oh, he's just a foreigner". So being a foreigner, you have to be more restrained than the locals, so they will say: "He's a good steady guy". Which is the ultimate compliment!
It's different in the Twin Cities, where you have students and bunches of foreigners. People would be more tolerant of that because they get exposed to more of that kind of behavior. They might shoot a glance at each other but that's it. I mean, we wouldn't want people to think we were racists or something.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat May 18, 2013 8:05 am

Grumpy wrote:

and, of course, there are LOADS more !
My Mom lives in Wayzata.

I drink pop sometimes, but not as much as I used to.

"Soda"? That's something you cook with.

I've hit a couple of deer while driving.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat May 18, 2013 8:23 am

I hit a deer once, many years ago. It was a 1985 Dodge Aries. They totalled my car.
In Minnesota, a State Trooper can write you a tag for the deer if you hit it and kill it. With the extent of the damage to my car, both the State Trooper and I were sure that the deer was dead. He asked me if I wanted it. I said " sure, I might as well have something to show for this".
Both of us searched for the deer for over half and hour and never found the dang thing.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:24 am

Thanks guys!
:stupid: Forgot about wikipedia! But then, wikipedia doesn't give such enjoyable answers as good old IFG! And of course, I wouldn't have got the pointers to speak Minnesotan! For shure, this dang post gave me some knowledge...... :wink:

XL, musta been one tough deer! And please show us the gun you won.....

37 degrees C - you are in Mumbai territory now, just need 80% humidity to round things off!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun May 19, 2013 12:22 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Thanks guys!
:stupid: Forgot about wikipedia! But then, wikipedia doesn't give such enjoyable answers as good old IFG! And of course, I wouldn't have got the pointers to speak Minnesotan! For shure, this dang post gave me some knowledge...... :wink:

XL, musta been one tough deer! And please show us the gun you won.....

37 degrees C - you are in Mumbai territory now, just need 80% humidity to round things off!
essdee,
Yes, and here I was thinking that the deer would be pre-tenderized. Must have been one tough deer! Must be something in the water.

About the gun, it is a Remington 870 in 20 ga. I will add it to my 870 post when I get it. The sad part is that I just bought a 20 ga. semi-auto last week. Still, I'm not going to say "No" to a free gun.

About the humidity: on our license plates, it says 10,000 Lakes. Belive me there are a lot more than 10,000.
In the summer when things start getting hot, the water evaporating off the lakes gives us a real high humidity. It can get practically equatorial.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun May 19, 2013 9:22 pm

You have to remember that some of those lakes are just puddles - I thought Minnesotans didn`t boast ?
Yeah, seen the lakes - or some of them anyway - from the air ..... There are an awful lot - at least 10,000 I`d estimate..... ;)
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun May 19, 2013 10:13 pm

minnesota is famous for geese shooting. What does this weather mean for the sportsman? I had met up with a few old timers and shooting buddies and everyone was of the opinion that the ducks will come in late this year.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun May 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Grumpy wrote:You have to remember that some of those lakes are just puddles - I thought Minnesotans didn`t boast ?
Yeah, seen the lakes - or some of them anyway - from the air ..... There are an awful lot - at least 10,000 I`d estimate..... ;)
The maximized surface area of the "puddles" will increase that evaporative situation XL talks about.

It seems you have a good eye, Grumpy, as there are more than 10,000 lakes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_in_Minnesota

Harry S. Truman

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun May 19, 2013 10:33 pm

I doubt even Minnesota can get as humid as Manhattan on a 100 plus degree day in early August ......
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun May 19, 2013 11:07 pm

DC is worse. Even in the old days, the question was raised about building a city in the swamps.

Harry S. Truman

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun May 19, 2013 11:51 pm

Only been there once .... and not in August. It`s a place I have no desire to revisit.
( Terry Pratchett )

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun May 19, 2013 11:57 pm

I worked in DC on a project and have been there a number of times for meetings. For me, there are many good things about DC:

The museums
The monuments
Te White House & Capitol
Great restaurants
The Mall is beautiful
Arlington National Cemetery is very meaningful to me

The time to go is about a month past -- you want to go when the Cherry Trees are blossoming around the Tidal Bssin. The blossoms are a riot of delicate pink and are all over -- beautiful! They were a gift from the Emeror of Japan for Teddy Roosevelt brokering the Treaty of Portsmouth, ending the Russo-Japanese War.

But one bad thing about DC is the weather. It is horrible in the summer and can be bitter in the winter. There are also neighborhoods which are not safe. Unknowingly, when I worked that project, I stayed in one, but had no problems.

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:29 pm

CK found a real gem.
I thought it would be a good addition to this thread.

Bizzare Foods - Minnesota.
[youtube][/youtube]

You might even recognize some of the places shown, from my Minnesota State Parks thread,

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:47 am

Thanks for adding the video on here xl_target - quite interesting and adds a lot of flavor to MN! :D
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:30 am

ckkalyan wrote:"...quite interesting and adds a lot of flavor to MN! :D
...only if you don't forget to add lots of butter :D