For all you Mumbaikars, especially the Sandras from Bandra.

Post all jokes/ quizzes/ teasers/ 'identify this' type of posts here
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: For all you Mumbaikars, especially the Sandras from Band

Post by dev » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:22 am

Good one Rusty. Its only March and maybe this December... ;-)
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:59 am

Hi U Mumbaikars!
> Spent all my life till date (all of 75 years) in BOMBAY now MUMBAI :D
> Virtually Born, Bred, Buttered & now Jammed for Good in Amchi Mumbai :lol:
> Lived close to Parsi Colony in Kings-Circle / Dadar for 60 years - Shifted to Chembur since the last 15 years.
> Good Old Bombay - The 1km straight long road from KingsCircle to Khodadad Circle used to be washed every morning at 5am - A Tram ride from Kings Circle to Colaba cost 1 1/2 Anna for adults & 1 Anna for children under 12 years :D (1 Anna = 6paise)
> My children - A Boy & a Girl went to the Dadar Parsee Youth Assembly High School :D
> How can I forget those laid back yummy lunches of 'Dhanshak' + Bread Pudding at the Ripon Club - Near Flora Fountain - courtesy my Bawa Friends :D
> Well....Memories are made of these :D
Briha

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:55 pm

Brihji - Small world ! May be like Manmohan Desai's movies we might have brushed each other - I studied at IES aka King George. :-) Know of Drs. couple Amonkar from Parsi Colony ? Live bang Opp. Wadala BEST.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:23 pm

airgun_novice wrote: Brihji - Small world ! May be like Manmohan Desai's movies we might have brushed each other - I studied at IES aka King George. :-) Know of Drs. couple Amonkar from Parsi Colony ? Live bang Opp. Wadala BEST.
> By 'George' - How much can the world 'Shrink' :D
> Yes I remember Dr. Amonkar... BTW is he still around?
> I think we have to get a 'Sorcerer' & get Manmohan Deasi back - he can perhaps make several "Sequels" :lol:
Briha

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: For all you Mumbaikars, especially the Sandras from Bandra.

Post by SMJ » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:17 pm

What an interesting thread Mack the Knife! So many Bombayite's or ex Bombayite's here!! I was born in the UK, came here- schooled at Catherdral, live on Peddar Road (still do)...a lot of Bawa friends from Parsi Colony! Dadar Parsi Colony is a unique place and even more special as one I consider GOD used to visit here in the early 60's and his extended family still live here...GOD (at least to me he is) btw was born in Stone Town, Zanzibar- birth name Farrokh Bulsara...

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:14 am

SMJ wrote:What an interesting thread Mack the Knife! So many Bombayite's or ex Bombayite's here!! I was born in the UK, came here- schooled at Catherdral, live on Peddar Road (still do)...a lot of Bawa friends from Parsi Colony! Dadar Parsi Colony is a unique place and even more special as one I consider GOD used to visit here in the early 60's and his extended family still live here...GOD (at least to me he is) btw was born in Stone Town, Zanzibar- birth name Farrokh Bulsara...
SMJ,
What years were you at Cathedral?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:42 am

Hi XL Target, was in Cathedral from 1982 to 1992 (10th)...foolishly didn't wait back to complete my ISC (12th) :roll:
I also suspect at some point we were both taught by Mrs Hallelujah :)

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:17 am

SMJ wrote:What an interesting thread Mack the Knife! So many Bombayite's or ex Bombayite's here!! I was born in the UK, came here- schooled at Catherdral, live on Peddar Road (still do)...a lot of Bawa friends from Parsi Colony! Dadar Parsi Colony is a unique place and even more special as one I consider GOD used to visit here in the early 60's and his extended family still live here...GOD (at least to me he is) btw was born in Stone Town, Zanzibar- birth name Farrokh Bulsara...
My great aunt and uncle ran a school in Zanzibar and Freddie was their neighbour and spent a lot of time at their place listening to music. According to the aged aunt, he loved to sing even as a kid.

After Zanzibar turned commie, both families moved to the U.K. but my relatives moved back to their ancestral home (just behind the Dadar Agiari) in the 80's. I do not know if Freddie's parents moved back to India.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:47 am

My great aunt and uncle ran a school in Zanzibar and Freddie was their neighbour and spent a lot of time at their place listening to music. According to the aged aunt, he loved to sing even as a kid.

Hi Mack the knife- that's awesome to know! I always wondered about all the people who knew him as the bucktoothed kid he was. Did your great aunt also happen to know Perviz Darukhanwala, cousins of the Bulsara's at whose house Freddie spent a lot of time as well in Zanzibar? Apparently not only did he love to sing but always wanted to be the centre of attention :lol:
His first err... 'girlfriend' Gita Choksi (also a Parsee) lives 5 minutes away from my house and another RJ friend of mine (Fali Singara) has met Freddie's Mum on a couple of occasions
After Zanzibar turned commie, both families moved to the U.K. but my relatives moved back to their ancestral home (just behind the Dadar Agiari) in the 80's. I do not know if Freddie's parents moved back to India.
Nope Freddies parents moved permanently to the UK and stayed. In hindsight, it was the best decision ever or the world would never know Queen!
Even after Freddie became a megastar his parents used to come and stay at DPC despite Freddie offering to pay for them to stay at the Taj. He also kept very much in touch with his aunt Sheroo Khorey who had encouraged all his talents of painting and music during his school holidays from Panchagani- he even paid for her eye operation sometime in the 80's. Freddie of course never came back to India.

Oh forgot to mention incidentally I met Roger Taylor at the Taj in 1997 along with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant (Led Zep). Could not muster up the courage to ask him about whether he visited all of Freddies old haunts in Bombay as it was known back then

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:15 am

You guys knew Freddie?????
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:35 am

essdee1972 wrote:You guys knew Freddie?????
Not me.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:57 am

You guys knew Freddie?????
:lol: :lol: How I wish!! There are still a lot of Bombay connections though including his first crush Gita Choksi who still lives down the road from me, his extended family in DPC where his mother used to come and stay (till 2010 I believe)
Cafe Ideal in Flora Fountain is owned by the late Farang Irani (now run by his children) who used to play bass for Freddie in their school band The Hectics at St Peters, Panchangani.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 pm

SMJ wrote:Hi XL Target, was in Cathedral from 1982 to 1992 (10th)...foolishly didn't wait back to complete my ISC (12th) :roll:
I also suspect at some point we were both taught by Mrs Hallelujah :)
I left Cathedral in 1980 (HSC 1980).
My 11th std. class teacher was Mrs Nair.
I was in Barham house and Mr Sharma was the housemaster.
I can't recall who the 12th std class teacher was.

My dad was an Army officer, so we moved every couple of years.
I only attended 11th and 12th at Cathedral so Mrs Hallelujah wasn't a teacher of mine.
I did my ICSE at Frank Anthony, Kolkata (1977)
Prior to that I was in Bishop Cotton in Bangalore, etc, etc.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:57 am

I was in Barham house and Mr Sharma was the housemaster.
Hmmm..much before I entered school- I believe the principal at the time was Col Desmond Shaw. I was a Palmerite and Mr Sharma was our chemistry teacher :)