How to make Ed's Red

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:50 am

Thanks, Mark.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Tried out the MEK(methyl ethyl ketone) variant. It works just as well. Another option for acetone. MEK does not evaporate as fast as acetone and hence inproves shelf life of product.

Another batch was mixed with Castrol TQ oil and that worked wonders. I left out the kerosene in this batch though.( Ran out of Stock) So its just TQ, Turpentine and MEK.
I guess instead of aldultrated kerosene ... no kerosene is a better option.

Monish .

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:28 pm

Try carbon Tetrachloride as a 'first run' patch, removes the hell out of any carbonaceous deposits...then the ed's red variant.
Me? am ok with the paint thinner smell of Ed's red, wouldnt want to try kerosene now
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:51 pm

HI! there is also a revised ed's red mix for rifle shooters on the net - it has ammonia added to dissolve the copper. just google ed's red for more varients.
BTW chk out the link below for a illustrated very good guide on mixing and making the home brew ;)

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/edred/index.asp

Also for those exraa dirty rifles chk out the link for the electro cleaner homemade - seems like a good thing to hav- though some sites claim that if u overdo it it cud remove some material from the bore or cause pitting but used within proper voltage and time range shud b okay.
Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

How to make Ed's Red

Post by monty3006 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:32 am

Article Name: How to make Ed's Red
Author: monty3006
De.scription: How to mix your own Ed's Red multi-purpose firearms cleaning agent

Category: Gun Care & Gunsmithing
Type: How to

>>Read Full Article
Monish

tarat
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

ACETONE QUERY

Post by tarat » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:08 am

Hiya .

If I wanted to procure acetone, what kind of shop do I need to visit and what do I need to ask for ? I mean, they usually dont indentify the chemical name. Is there a "local term" for it ?

I want to make the Red Ed bore cleaner and try it on my air rifle ? I can find ATF and the paint thinner.

Or am I just wasting my time trying it on my airgun ?! When I asked the guy at Kovi Shop if he had something that I might use to clean my airgun barrel, he gave such a big grin that I didnt know what to say.

"There's no gunpowder in airguns you see, only lead, so you really dont need to clean them", he said.

I acknowledged his statement to be true, paid my pellets bill and left.

Regards
RT

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: ACETONE QUERY

Post by Mark » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:39 am

Here in the USA you find acetone on the same shelf you find the paint thinner (mineral spirits). So try asking a paint store.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:46 am

The Chemical formula of acetone is CH2-CO-CH2....

the scientific name is acetone, whereas the common name(what is used in INDIA ) is nail polish remover.....

Regards
Parag

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:54 am

Tarat,
If you're looking at small quantities of acetone you may pick up nail polish remover. However if you're looking at larger quantities I'd advice you to you use industrial grade acetone. Industrial chemicals/solvents are sold on Avenue road in Bangalore.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

tarat
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarat » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:57 am

Thanks Mark, Archer and Pran !

So its Auto Transmission Fluid, Paint thinner and Nail polish remover.

I am gonna mix equal parts by volume. Am gonna make just a little bit. Now I need to get myself a long metallic rod, a bit of cloth and I'll be good to go.

Has to wait until the coming weekend though. Got an entire week to crawl though ...... and its only Monday.

Regards
RT
--------------
Regards
RT

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:47 am

tarat";p="39673 wrote: Thanks Mark, Archer and Pran !

So its Auto Transmission Fluid, Paint thinner and Nail polish remover.

I am gonna mix equal parts by volume. Am gonna make just a little bit. Now I need to get myself a long metallic rod, a bit of cloth and I'll be good to go.

Has to wait until the coming weekend though. Got an entire week to crawl though ...... and its only Monday.

Regards
RT
Just make sure you don't mix it or store it in a plastic container! This stuff eats through most of the regular plastics like acid through wood!!

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:00 pm

tarat";p="39659 wrote: I want to make the Red Ed bore cleaner and try it on my air rifle ? I can find ATF and the paint thinner. Or am I just wasting my time trying it on my airgun ?! When I asked the guy at Kovi Shop if he had something that I might use to clean my airgun barrel, he gave such a big grin that I didnt know what to say. "There's no gunpowder in airguns you see, only lead, so you really dont need to clean them", he said.

Regards
RT
HI! dude I really think eds red for a airgun is really bad news. The solvent in it will dissolve the rubber parts and seals. AR oil is mostly mineral based containing no thinning / dissolving agents. I think if you really feel the need to zappo the barrel of your ar the rod with cloth idea od yours is equally bad unless you have a smmoth bore ar. If you really want to get a bottle of wd40 and with the extension tube pointed down the barrel give it a squirt. Keep the barrel pointed downwards and attach a flannel patch on a tennis raquet gut line and pull it through. Dont let the wd40 come in contact with rubber/seals. Use silicon grease on the rubber/seals or parts where these come in contact with.

Please note I have limited ar exp. maybe the other highly exp. board members can help you out and prevent you from such childish endeavours - or maybe they are just wainting in the wings - waiting for you to bust a seal -litrally ;) dont let me stop you from having fun with your ramrod and cloth with ed's red though
Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

tarat
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by tarat » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:37 pm

Abhijeet,

Thanks for the container tip ! Didnt know that.

Shutzen,

Didnt quite get your point.

First, I understand that plastics / rubber and the ER soln. wont get along well, but I only intend to clean the inside of the barrel and then "dry clean" as well with patches.

Second, WD40 is supposed to petroleum based and raises a red flag with springers.

Third, if not with a ramrod and a patch, how else would one clean a bore, rifled or smooth ? I understand the string method, but whats wrong with the ramrod ?

BTW, why do you say that the endeavour is childish ? Lotsa Qs for you : )

Regards
RT
--------------
Regards
RT

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:21 pm

The ramrod may accidentally scrape the rifling if you aren't careful. It has also been known to ruin the crown.
I used the string method for years and still feel that it or a bore snake is much safer.
Most of the time low powered springers don't need a barrel cleaning, if moisture etc gets in then its a different matter.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:28 pm

This is veering OT but check out the following post by Tom Gaylord aka BB Pelletier on how to clean the bore of your air-rifle:

Why does my rifle shift its aim point? - Part 1

And

Is your airgun barrel REALLY clean?

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein