Bought a fantastic home gunsmithing book for amateurs

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Bought a fantastic home gunsmithing book for amateurs

Post by badshah0522 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:51 am

Hi!

Are there topic on crowning & Re-crowning in that book..As a friend of mine recently damaged his baretta barrel from crown side as he was trying to ***********(deleted) ,he was cutting threads on the tip & accidently leath damaged the crowning,resulting the weapon is not firing straight.

If there are topic regarding this plz scan it and send me on my mail.

Thanx

[Any device to suppress the muzzle flash or sound of a firearm is prohibited in India-penpusher]

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:55 am

Easy job.

Just have him chuck up the barrel again, make a facing cut to clear up all the damaged area, then make a light 45 degree chamfering cut on the inside and outside.

To do it by hand- put 1 wrap of masking tape on the end of the barrel and with a fine tipped pen draw an exact line around the circumference. Now file down to the line. To put a crown on it, get an old computer mouse ball and peel off the rubber. Use the steel ball with some automotive valve lapping compound and a lot of elbow grease. The geometry works out that you will get an 11 degree crown, which is currently a favorite on target rifles here. You also have to keep checking to make sure you grind it evenly.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:00 am

I just noticed that someone is selling "The Modern Gunsmith" on CD now for less than $20. Gentlemen, if you are at all interested in gunsmithing this book is quite the standard to refer to!

I found it on ebay, but it might be elsewhere as well.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:41 am

Thanks Mark ,
Actually some one else also suggested the same idea,i have already treid it and the pistol is firing 90% accurate now.Soon we will rectify the rest of the problem.
Thanks,
badshah
Mark";p="8887 wrote: Easy job.

Just have him chuck up the barrel again, make a facing cut to clear up all the damaged area, then make a light 45 degree chamfering cut on the inside and outside.

To do it by hand- put 1 wrap of masking tape on the end of the barrel and with a fine tipped pen draw an exact line around the circumference. Now file down to the line. To put a crown on it, get an old computer mouse ball and peel off the rubber. Use the steel ball with some automotive valve lapping compound and a lot of elbow grease. The geometry works out that you will get an 11 degree crown, which is currently a favorite on target rifles here. You also have to keep checking to make sure you grind it evenly.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"