sights for IOF Ashani

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
paragvns
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

sights for IOF Ashani

Post by paragvns » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:03 am

I have got an Ashani just a week back and as you know both the front and rear sights are almost nonexistent I was wondering if new sights can be afixed to it. :?:

Secondly, many a people have recommended that i should not load more than 5 cartridges as doing so will weaken the spring of the magazine, but this seems to defeat the purpose of having a weapon with a higher ammo capacity, please advise :roll:

Parag
An armed society is a polite society. — Robert A. Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:12 am

You can press upto 7 rounds.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:59 pm

Parag...
Ideally, dont load many rounds and keep it, but I guess nothing stops you from loading the magazine to its full capacity while shooting. After all, you would not want to mar enjoying the gun for a spring :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

paragvns
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by paragvns » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:15 pm

what about the sights? can new, better sights be afixed??

regards
Parag

paragvns
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: sights for IOF Ashani

Post by paragvns » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:02 pm

:?: :?: :roll:

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:06 am

As a general rule, do not store a magazine fully loaded for a prolonged period of time, as that may cause the spring to take a set. When going to shoot, you can load to full capacity; though some magazines do better with one round less; that last round you forced into the magazine may cause failure to feed. But only practice with your particular pistol will tell you that.
A .32 ACP pocket pistol is not a target pistol by any means, I doubt that better sights, which can be fitted at considerable cost, would improve results a measurable amount. You won't find any target-quality .32 ACP ammo anyhow, by any maker. When needed for self defense, there won't be time for careful aim. Learn to shoot instinctively, and become thoroughly familiar with your pistol, and you won't miss better sights. Cheers.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:02 am

TwoRivers";p="57938 wrote:As a general rule, do not store a magazine fully loaded for a prolonged period of time.
Assuming someone does need to keep his magazine loaded for prolonged periods and the magazine spring is of reasonably good quality, what percentage of the total magazine capacity should one load without risking a spring failure?

When you mention 'prolonged periods', would that be days, weeks or months?

Thanks.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Mack The Knife: The unknown variable would be the quality of the spring. As to the time, months, if not years, unless it's a poor quality spring. And the owner may tell you "a couple of months", when it has been fifteen years. If you want to keep a full magazine, I'd check it weekly to be on the safe side, and keep another empty one handy. If I only had one pistol with one magazine, I'd load two rounds less than full capacity, and only top it off if I knew of a threat. Generally, magazine springs are of much better quality now than they were a hundred years ago; but I have no experience with IOF products. Cheers.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:13 pm

what i used to do is to have 4 mags, two loaded and two unloaded, each day change the rounds to two unloaded ones, this stops weak springs and strip the two down and leave it well oiled overnight.

some megs are better with one or two rounds less. experience and time will tell what you should do with yours.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:53 pm

Thanks a lot, Two Rivers.

Naga, why would you want to strip and relube a mag every alternate day, especially when it hasn't been used? Is that an armed forces routine?

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:12 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="57977 wrote: Naga, why would you want to strip and relube a mag every alternate day, especially when it hasn't been used? Is that an armed forces routine?
nay Rusty, not forces routine, but if one is moving around the countryside etc dam dust and dirty sticks to lub like anything, is one, second one is physically inspecting ones ammo and meg, as one may give a quick clean to firearm but neglect ones megs and ammo, by oiling it regular it helps to maintain the spring life and by changing the ammo to one meg to other it give the springs a rest, (or i might just like to handle ammo before going to bed :D one will never know)

never had a problem in this routine.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:52 pm

hi naga and Mack The Knife :) i have seen some cops carry their iof 9mm loaded with 11 rounds instead of 13.i think that might save the spring too if one dosent have a spare mag. :)

paragvns
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by paragvns » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:28 pm

hi everyone
thanks for showing interest!

Naga, about your routine of lubricating the mags every alt day - altough i'm not an expert but I think i've read somewhere that u shouln't oil the mags as the oil attracts more dust and lead to malfunctions.

What I do is load 6 cartridges instead of 8 and change mags every week.

I'm giving a link please go through and comment.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_trai ... index.html

as far as the sight thing is concerned I was at the range today, fired 15 shots and the results were pathetic.

OK I believe that it's not a target pistol but what good will it do in a self defense situation if i cant hit where i want :cry:

I think i'll need a lot of practice!

and help and advice from all well wishers.

regards
Parag

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:44 pm

hi parag :)

can you please post pics of your new ashani.just curious to see if they have changed its looks or still the same :)

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:35 am

Written from the viewpoint of a competition shooter, I'd say. In a humid climate wipe-down with an oily rag would definitely be recommended. And that is what "oiling" a weapon is all about, a very light film of oil, not a drenching. A hard tree wax on the outside of the mag reduces the tendency to stick with tight tolerances. I've seen magazines with failed springs, though of very old, or questionable, manufacture, and IOF quality is an unknown quantity. No manufacturer of magazines makes his own raw material, that comes in large rolls, hardened and tempered, from a maker of specialty steels. The smaller magazine manufacturers don't have the equipment to test the steel they buy for proper hardness and temper, and occasionally a batch may not quite be up to specs. Bad magazines can and do happen, if very rarely. For a while there were a lot of bad magazines for the .45 M1911 Colt on the market. Cheers.