For Rustam - Rosewood/Ebony

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
penpusher

For Mack The Knife - Rosewood/Ebony

Post by penpusher » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:35 pm

Mack The Knife,

Have been trying to locate some rosewood or ebony without any results. Nobody here has either.Do you know of anybody who has a block (min 1'x1'x1') of rosewood or ebony? I am willing to pay all the cost (of the wood and of sending it through courier/post).Though I don't need so much of it right now but why not get it so that I don't have to search for it again.

Would appreciate any help.

Take care,
penpusher

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:54 pm

Hi penpusher,

Will get back to you on this. What is your first preference?

1 cubic foot is going to weigh quite a bit. What is the bare minimum you require in case posting/couriering happens to be a problem?

Mack The Knife

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:07 pm

Mack The Knife,

Rosewood would do nicely.Ebony, I believe is going to be more expensive and also harder to work and if it acquires any dings in transport,they will also be more difficult to remove.Still, which ever of the two is available.
Bare minimum would be 1'x1'x0.5'.Appreciate the prompt response. Do let me know the mode of payment and the amount.If its going to be through you,would prefer making the payment before the dispatch and after the confirmation of the money having reached the dispatcher.I would find this the most comfortable arrangement.

Take care,
penpusher

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:19 pm

penpusher,

Are you going to make a forend tip for a rifle or a grip cap or something? Karnataka is THE state for rosewood and Chennapatna used to be a centre for rosewood handicrafts. No idea about Ebony though if I recall right India used to get it from Burma...

Mehul

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:56 pm

Mehul,

A forend tip and a grip cap and have something in reserve for the future.

"Karnataka is THE state for rosewood "

That is why I contacted Mack The Knife.Here there is no rosewood available anywhere for any price.Shisham is a cousin of the rosewood tree but it is not a very stable wood.Even after seasoning , when you cut it,some panels turn and bend.There is some ebony harvested in India.You can get Indian mahogany also(I think it grows in West Bengal)

Getting walnut frim J&K is very difficult not to mention illegal.J&K forest laws prohibit taking out raw timber and as it is ,the J&K HC has imposed a ban on tree felling.Walnut from Himachal is not of very good quality as compared to the walnut from J&K.There is some in Uttranchal also, but in very remote areas.

Any ideas about an Indian hard wood/soft wood that can be a substitute for walnut.I have seen photos of teak stocks also but generally on army issue rifles

Take care,
penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:02 am

penpusher wrote:Any ideas about an Indian hard wood wood that can be a substitute for walnut.I have seen photos of teak stocks also but generally on army issue rifles
Like you said....Teak wood.

Mack The Knife

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Teak Wood for Rifle stock

Post by jonahpach » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:49 pm

Hello penpusher, I can offer u teak wood from Mizoram. Dont have any idea how to send it though. I have tried it on a rifle stock and it looks pretty good.. Heavy though. Teak wood in Mizoram is usually 15 - 20 years old and is unseasoned. It sells for about 1000 - 1500 per cubic ft.
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:56 pm

Completely forgot about this.... :roll:

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Rose wood...

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm

I remember seeing an ad somewhere on cubbon road for "Rosewood for sale".Will try to find out the details and let you people know.

Inder

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Rose wood...

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:42 pm

kanwar76 wrote:Will try to find out the details and let you people know.
You mean like the revised logo you were to get made for us? :roll:

:mrgreen:

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:43 pm

Oh Logo... I completely forgot about that..

But then i got busy in things like loosing my job, shuttling between delhi and Bangalore to take care of my father in law who was suffering from cancer and expired after a painful battle then taking care of my daughter who was admitted in hospital for three days :oops: :oops: :oops:

Last three months were bad. Life is coming back to normal now will get it done ASAP

Inder..
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:27 pm

Sorry, Inder. I wasn't thinking.

Didn't know about the job. Hope you have found one and glad to see you bounce back.

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:41 pm

Hey no probs Mack The Knife,

Ya got a nice one...Only problem is I have to work now... :mrgreen:

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:57 pm

Have got my axe ready.Where do I go to chop down a rosewood tree. Any ideas anyone.

Take care,
penpusher

PS-You no longer can get Indian walnut legally in the country.In Himachal Pradesh you need to get permission to cut down a walnut tree in your own land from the Forest Dept. and then the wood is auctioned by the Forest Dept.If any wood is found on you, its liable to be confiscated and a fine imposed. In J&K a blanket ban has been imposed on tree felling.What ever wood is there in the forest depot's is auctioned in lots. So in case a person wants wood for just one stock,he can forget about it.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:37 pm

Thanks for the reminder. Will ask my friend tomorrow.

Mack The Knife